• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NFL Football on LA Radio 2016

We already know the Rams will be on KSWD-FM and KSPN-AM. Radio Insight reports KDAY 93.5 flagshiping the Radiers broadcasts :) Could IHEART perhaps have the Chargers games on 98.7 in LA, as well as 570/1150am? And if they decide to keep things 'in house' this season, Cumulus will most likely have Westwood One's NFL Sunday Double Headers/Sunday and Monday Night Football on KABC 790, wiping out pretty much the entire current Sunday schedule, and cutting Peter Tilden's 6-7pm show to four nights a week. And the conversation will NOT continue online. Since Cumulus took over Westwood One, all live events have been streaming over radio stations owned by Cumulus.

Haven't the Rams asserted their territorial rights to L.A.? Don't they have a problem with the Raiders
and Chargers continuing to air their games on L.A. stations?

We already know the Rams will be on KSWD-FM and KSPN-AM. Radio Insight reports KDAY 93.5 flagshiping the Radiers broadcasts :) Could IHEART perhaps have the Chargers games on 98.7 in LA, as well as 570/1150am? And if they decide to keep things 'in house' this season, Cumulus will most likely have Westwood One's NFL Sunday Double Headers/Sunday and Monday Night Football on KABC 790, wiping out pretty much the entire current Sunday schedule, and cutting Peter Tilden's 6-7pm show to four nights a week. And the conversation will NOT continue online. Since Cumulus took over Westwood One, all live events have been streaming over radio stations owned by Cumulus.

That last line is intriguing. I wonder if that means Westwood One's NFL games will finally be streamed online.

They were streaming last season on KNBR and KTCT in San Francisco. (That's when Cumulus took control of WW1) Any non-Cumulus owned afilliates still must blackout Westwood One live games online.

What about Spanish coverage of the Rams? I know that a lot of Hispanics follow the NFL here in the USA, thanks to games on NBC Universo, ESPN Deportes & Fox Deportes. This is in addition to the fact that many Spanish speaking Angelinos have access to the games broadcast by Televisa and TV Azteca!

Interesting point since their one Sunday night game is against the Seahawks in December :)

I'd want to watch that game on TV, satellite, streaming, etc if I was a diehard. But with 100~Three, why worry about 7~Ten's night signal?

What about Spanish coverage of the Rams? I know that a lot of Hispanics follow the NFL here in the USA, thanks to games on NBC Universo, ESPN Deportes & Fox Deportes. This is in addition to the fact that many Spanish speaking Angelinos have access to the games broadcast by Televisa and TV Azteca!

They announced a deal with KWKW.

I have my doubts about Hispanic listening to Spanish language football broadcasts. Nearly anyone who is Hispanic who likes football learned about the game here, not in their home country. That means that most are bilingual or English dominant, and would pick an English broadcast over a Spanish one most of the time.

The Televisa and Azteca deals appear to be just for the occasional games played in Mexico (which appeal mostly the elite group of Mexican professionals who went to college in the US), although there are cable and satellite deals for a group of regular season games. The only LA Hispanics who would have access to Azteca and Televisa broadcasts from Mexico would be those with clandestine Sky accounts.

Details on the L.A. Rams radio broadcast teams at this link:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/156329/los-angeles-rams-set-radio-teams

Also: it's likely KLAC 570 will continue with its NFL schedule of the past few years of broadcasting the Chargers games and then in other time slots picking up broadcasts of Westwood One and/or Compass Media Network NFL games.

Unless: either there is a rule (mentioned earlier in this thread) that an out-of-town broadcast can't compete with a home-team broadcast within the home-team market due to exclusivity rules (I don't know of any rule but I could be wrong);

-or-

other stations within the L.A. market just choose on their own not to put games up against the Rams broadcasts for competitive reasons.

I don't think that Westwood One games will air on KABC 790 (they haven't in the past) plus I don't believe that Westwood One would restrict their sports broadcasts being aired on only Cumulus radio stations.

Plus, I believe I've read on these forums previously that the L.A. Kings deal with KABC prohibits other sports broadcasts from being aired on KABC (preventing the Kings game broadcasts from being bumped to another outlet). I'm not sure if that "rule" would apply to the NFL broadcasts (if they ever did air on KABC) as being as they would be all out-of-town games, they could easily be farmed out to another outlet (or not aired anywhere) should there be a conflict with a Kings broadcast.

Haven't the Rams asserted their territorial rights to L.A.? Don't they have a problem with the Raiders
and Chargers continuing to air their games on L.A. stations?

I was thinking the same thing. Back in the day, this would never be allowed by the hometown team and the league. I could understand the San Diego Chargers having a station here, as they have long asserted, and the NFL has agreed, that LA is a secondary market to them. It seems territorial rights no longer exist or perhaps these other teams would have to pay the Rams $$$ to waive their rights? That new stadium going up is going to be expensive, and I can see the Rams pocketing a few dollars from sold territorial rights to apply to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom