• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

News/Talk on FM gets uncomfortably closer to Tampa-St. Pete

And I think many agree with you.... the trouble now is that there aren't many hosts out there who have done more general talk shows. A station would have to take a flyer on someone... but I think there are a lot of veteran music personalities who would love the chance.

badjef said:
tngu77 said:
badjef said:
It will be 97.9. All they have to do is flip a switch. Everything else is already in place.

That was the rumor...FIVE YEARS AGO...
Decisions, such as these, are not made on a spur of the moment. These are years in the making. 5 years ago may be when the idea was first floated. 970WFLA has been on 97.9 HD-2 for about 4 years. They have wanted northern coverage for the 970 signal but couldn't get it because of protection to other 970 stations in the "upper 47".

97.9 (HD-1) fills all the requirements short of the TV coverage in Tallahassee with WFLA-FM on 100.7. Whereas a duplication of 100.7 WFLA imaging in Tampa and Tallahassee would save money and appear as though the same station people are in both places at the same time. It makes both stations appear larger than they are.

After further thought, the microphones only need to say, "Fox Newsradio WFLA" with no frequency given. So, any (Clear Channel news) station in Florida could use the same imaging. They are not that far from that now.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

It is no longer a question of [if] news-talk on FM will come to Tampa Bay; it is a question of [how soon] will it happen.

jmtillery said:
It is no longer a question of [if] news-talk on FM will come to Tampa Bay; it is a question of [how soon] will it happen.
What a tease! With the way we retrieve email notices nowadays, I thought your message was going to mention a day.

But, back to post, I think it will be soon. I'll go out on a limb and say by Christmas/New Year's.

Definitely, within a year.

As it is right now, it is making use of a button that would be used have to take one away from an FM music button.

WXJB will be the biggest loser when it happens.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

badjef said:
jmtillery said:
What a tease! With the way we retrieve email notices nowadays, I thought your message was going to mention a day.
Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

My post was not meant to be a tease but rather it is an acknowledgement that News-Talk on FM [IS] coming soon to a Tampa Bay FM. Miami is next...

jmtillery said:
badjef said:
jmtillery said:
Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

My post was not meant to be a tease but rather it is an acknowledgement that News-Talk on FM [IS] coming soon to a Tampa Bay FM. Miami is next...
I understand that. It is funny how the "social media" is delivered by so many different ways than we realize.

WIOD is using 100.3 albeit sounds like it may be a low power translator.

WFLA just HAS to be next.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Hmmm. I was thinking, the toll free number is 800-969-WFLA. When it moves to the HD-1, will they change the phone number to 800-979-WFLA?

Just thinking...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Hmmm... I was Googling, and discovered that WAEB in Allentown still has the WFLA hotline number listed for Glenn Beck:
http://www.waeb.com/pages/WAEBcontact.html

I wonder how many calls Schnitt is getting from disoriented or uninformed Lehigh Valley folks during his show... ::)

DToTheJ said:
Hmmm... I was Googling, and discovered that WAEB in Allentown still has the WFLA hotline number listed for Glenn Beck:
http://www.waeb.com/pages/WAEBcontact.html

I wonder how many calls Schnitt is getting from disoriented or uninformed Lehigh Valley folks during his show... ::)
More like, "how many calls are 970 getting?" Schnitt isn't on during Glenn's air time. That web page sounds as though they haven't updated that portion of the webpage since 2000!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom