• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New York Metro Radio Ratings: June 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 5/25/2023 thru Wed. 6/21/2023, age 6+ overall:

or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1. WLTW 2. WHTZ 3. WCBS-FM 4. WKTU 5. WNEW 6. WBLS
18-34: 1. WLTW 2. WKTU 3. WHTZ 4T. WAXQ 4T. WSKQ (up from #10) 4T. WCBS-FM 7. WNEW
18-49: 1. WLTW 2. WHTZ 3. WKTU 4. WNEW 5. WSKQ 6T. WCBS-FM 6T. WAXQ

For Nassau-Suffolk Long Island:
or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

For Middlesex-Somerset-Union, NJ:

I know it should go back to country. 😜
I mean 2 country artists morgan wallen & luke combs just had the #1 & #2 songs on the billboard hot 100 till they got bumped this wk by olivia rodrigo....mmmm olivia.

The cume for The Block is greater than the cume for 880. It's cuming as a Top 10 station.
Only if #14 gets you into the top 10.

And WXBK is pulling a full share point less than WCBS, stuck there on AM. Power and Hot cume a half million higher, and pull 0.3 and 0.7 shares points (respectively) higher too. None of them are doing superbly, and you can't even say that they're doing well in their target demo, if the info above is accurate. But The Block is doing worst. It's more like a block of ice on a hot summer's day during a power outage.

Okay, being less snarky, here are the real questions: (1) How much is 94.7 billing? (2) How much is 880 billing, stuck as it is on AM? and (3) Now that WINS has been simulcasting for 8 or 9 months, how much (percentage) has its billing gone up since said simulcast began?

We all know the AM band is dying. If Audacy wants to continue supporting an underperforming format at the expense of one of its cash cows, that's their choice. If I were running their company, I'd be trying my damnedest to protect the franchise. They already protected the WINS and WFAN franchises, and until CBS-FM or WNEW starts to falter, 94.7 is the only option left.

If I were running their company, I'd be trying my damnedest to protect the franchise.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the strategy for the last few years is to consolidate the product for all news. Their most recent union agreement allowed for that. You hear reporters and anchors shared between the two brands. So my take is they've already protected the franchise by moving the news format to 92.3. Looking long term, I don't see a future for two all news radio stations. The distinguishing characteristic between 1010 and 880 is the signal. That is neutralized with 92.3. They don't need to duplicate the format on FM (especially a weaker FM) if they've already handled the format and the advertising on 92.3.

I think they stay status quo for now on-air. The main thing they have to do is build a digital presence for these franchises that will replace them as radio usage declines.

Only if #14 gets you into the top 10.
And in 25-54 and 35-64 it is also in the 14th to 15th range, and the in 18-34 so far this year they have been 16th to 17th.

The funny ("funny" peculiar, not "funny" ha ha) thing is I can't see what the core is. I did a bunch of custom demos, like 21-29 and 27-37 and other odd ones and it has no real spike or peak that is the same each month.

That leads me to believe that the station is a P3 or P4 to a bunch of people, but P1 / P2 to nearly nobody. It can be argued that ethnic stations that don't have a strong personality show at least in mornings can't be a P1/P2 station to any significant group, so that may be some of the WXBK weakness.

It seems to be the station that you listen to for a while because you found them playing a song you liked when "my other station was running ads" and then you stuck around a while until they did something you did not like. There is a way to play to that situation, starting with always being in music when the other urban / Black stations are in stopsets.

It can be argued that ethnic stations that don't have a strong personality show at least in mornings can't be a P1/P2 station to any significant group, so that may be some of the WXBK weakness.

Any music station that basically duplicates music already available will struggle to be P2, especially when the competition is WBLS. They need to build a personality audience to distinguish themselves from the other stations. Jonesy in the morning just ain't doin' it.

Any music station that basically duplicates music already available will struggle to be P2, especially when the competition is WBLS. They need to build a personality audience to distinguish themselves from the other stations. Jonesy in the morning just ain't doin' it.
Remember that many stations, and most in some formats, are not permanent P1s to a listener group. The PPM and its ongoing measurement of the same panel has showed that most people have two or three favorite stations. The one that is P1 may be P3 next week and so on as people bounce between several stations in about the same amount of listening.

So secondary stations (the ones that didn't even get written into the diary as they were not "favorite" options) just don't get to the level as being one of the two or three stations that are "primary" to the average listener. They are in the group of two or three or more that get occasional listening but not regular and notable amounts of quarter hours.

I've seen how this "flipping" of most listened to status occurs when stations do unusual programming, such as running a sports event on a music station or, an easily measured one, when stations take a whole Friday to raise money for St. Jude hospital and the P1s of the prior week disappear totally.

With relatively few FM stations in this metro available for secular music, it seems odd that Audacy picked such a niche format for WXBK 94.7, in a category with plenty of established competitors.
if they can’t get a sales team that can successfully sell Country, then I think a variety hits format (ie Jack) would make sense. It allows for lots of flexibility. For example, such a station could play lots of classic rock, since Q104.3 is doing so well. If demand were to shift for music that is not so old, they could play newer stuff. This is somewhat comparable to WKTU, which has undergone many tweaks in response to popularity and competition.

if they can’t get a sales team that can successfully sell Country, then I think a variety hits format (ie Jack) would make sense.

This is what their sales team wanted. The pressure is on them to deliver. They didn't invest millions in local DJs in this format to blow it up again after just two years. They'd have to pay them all off again. They tried variety hits in San Francisco (Dave) and it was a total flop. They can't keep spinning the format wheel. It costs too much money.

Betcha the Audacy execs look at the 94.7 figures for Middlesex-Somerset-Union NJ (risen up 1.9-2.8 share from Feb.-June) and say: "If only we had a full signal where people could hear it, they'd enjoy it!" You know that'll be the refrain if the format winds up in the graveyard; but not likely in the immediate future as they've invested a lot in personnel. EDIT: see BigA's post above.

They wish they could have the relative success of their similarly formatted WBMX Chicago "104.3 Jams" (just reached 3.0) which scores #5 25-54 and #4T in 18-49. They'd likely even settle for the modest numbers at KRBQ San Francisco "102.1 Jams" which is currently 2.2, has been as high as 2.6 in recent months (does not show in any of the money demo breakouts).

Re: adult hits - may cannibalize WCBS-FM and to a lesser extent WNEW.
PS Kudos to KTU - highest ranks in demos they've been in a while.

Back
Top Bottom