• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Year's Eve TV coverage, national + local, 2023-24

I watched the Countdown To 2024 show out of Las Vegas on Sunday Night & then watched NBC's coverage of the Tournament Of Roses Parade on Monday

then watched NBC's coverage of the Tournament Of Roses Parade on Monday
I haven't had time yet but I saw part of KTLA's live broadcast. That's the only way to do it. NBC leaves out too much with commercial breaks. I started watching the video of KTLA last year and that's what I will do for the rest of the parade.

I watched the Countdown To 2024 show out of Las Vegas on Sunday Night & then watched NBC's coverage of the Tournament Of Roses Parade on Monday

I haven't had time yet but I saw part of KTLA's live broadcast. That's the only way to do it. NBC leaves out too much with commercial breaks. I started watching the video of KTLA last year and that's what I will do for the rest of the parade.

Part of the problem is the networks (All of them) are too biased towards the East Coast. That means, they place more emphasis on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade than anything else (And even then, CBS doesn't go all out like NBC does & ABC, FOX & The CW don't even cover it because NBC has the official broadcast rights)

I think ABC now holds the official rights to the Tournament Of Roses Parade as ESPN produces the Rose Bowl game which is televised by ABC (If you saws Reece Davis during the NBC broadcast, you'd see what I mean as I;m sure NBC felt awkward about promoting an ESPN/ABC show. That NEVER happens on Thanksgiving Day as only NBC promotes NBC stuff & only CBS promotes CBS stuff)

I think ABC now holds the official rights to the Tournament Of Roses Parade as ESPN produces the Rose Bowl game which is televised by ABC (If you saws Reece Davis during the NBC broadcast, you'd see what I mean as I;m sure NBC felt awkward about promoting an ESPN/ABC show. That NEVER happens on Thanksgiving Day as only NBC promotes NBC stuff & only CBS promotes CBS stuff)
ABC does a terrible job in terms of showing everything. Commercials are a necessity (but not on KTLA, which has brief mentions of advertisers). They'll have a reporter on the street talk to someone or talk about something, they'll go behind the scenes to look at how a float was made, and they'll have commentary about the game. No one ever admits we missed anything (CBS once had a broadcast longer than the parade and admitted they were showing what we missed). At one time, I noticed no equestrian unit was ever shown, but those were on NBC.

I'll say this, The ABC/ESPN hosts are professional, not corny. KTLA had a minimum of jokes, but there were a few,

ABC does a terrible job in terms of showing everything. Commercials are a necessity (but not on KTLA, which has brief mentions of advertisers). They'll have a reporter on the street talk to someone or talk about something, they'll go behind the scenes to look at how a float was made, and they'll have commentary about the game. No one ever admits we missed anything (CBS once had a broadcast longer than the parade and admitted they were showing what we missed). At one time, I noticed no equestrian unit was ever shown, but those were on NBC.

I'll say this, The ABC/ESPN hosts are professional, not corny. KTLA had a minimum of jokes, but there were a few,
I've never been impressed with ABC's coverage of Parades (And CBS' coverage of Parades is slacking off in coverage too as last year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was THE WORST I've seen yet

Meanwhile, NBC just continues to RULE THE ROOST amongst the networks at least 😂

And CBS' coverage of Parades is slacking off in coverage too as last year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was THE WORST I've seen yet
I really should record that just to compare, but there's never enough room left to record. Or time to watch it.

For the Rose Parade CBS did something none of the other networks did. At the end they admitted there were entries we missed and showed them.

Makes you wish NewsNation would simulcast KTLA's Rose Parade coverage nationally like Hallmark Channel used to do (since they dropped them, I watched on YouTube).

Back
Top Bottom