• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Year, New Day, New Week, New Month............. ♫ New STYLE? ♫

We have a bunch of very similar almost duplicating formats, especially in the rhythmic and chr category. Since we have so many stations contributing to the sea of sameness, being slick & slight with each other and playing the same music, I wonder:

How come we don't have at least one CHR or Rhythmic that plays the dance remixes of hit songs?

I wont even talk about a dance leaning top 40 or station in general, but just someone who delivers a different style. Does everyone (in Phoenix) really have to play the same album version of Adele's hits? Does everyone have to play the original version of every Lady Gaga hit? Why isn't there one chr with a more distinct sound? We are no longer back in the days when it was "safer" to do things like play the slow version of "listen to your heart" by D.H.T. on a chr! Even KEZ has used the remix edit!

Notice the words "in Phoenix" I included above. The reason I did this is because not all places do this (for those of you who are unaware). I know some places that only have two chr's (or even less) and one of them still plays different radio remixes of certain hits, especially if they are more upbeat.

I do notice that certain stations here do use hit remixes occasionally, but not often. Could any of the chr's that are currently not dominating in ratings benefit from tweaking their main playlist sound and trying something slightly different? It's a new year, so:

Is it possible that something will come along with a..... NEW STYLE?

There's more to say on this ....... so "stay tuned".

KDM 7000 said:
We have a bunch of very similar almost duplicating formats, especially in the rhythmic and chr category. Since we have so many stations contributing to the sea of sameness, being slick & slight with each other and playing the same music, I wonder:

How come we don't have at least one CHR or Rhythmic that plays the dance remixes of hit songs?

I wont even talk about a dance leaning top 40 or station in general, but just someone who delivers a different style. Does everyone (in Phoenix) really have to play the same album version of Adele's hits? Does everyone have to play the original version of every Lady Gaga hit? Why isn't there one chr with a more distinct sound? We are no longer back in the days when it was "safer" to do things like play the slow version of "listen to your heart" by D.H.T. on a chr! Even KEZ has used the remix edit!

Notice the words "in Phoenix" I included above. The reason I did this is because not all places do this (for those of you who are unaware). I know some places that only have two chr's (or even less) and one of them still plays different radio remixes of certain hits, especially if they are more upbeat.

I do notice that certain stations here do use hit remixes occasionally, but not often. Could any of the chr's that are currently not dominating in ratings benefit from tweaking their main playlist sound and trying something slightly different? It's a new year, so:

Is it possible that something will come along with a..... NEW STYLE?

There's more to say on this ....... so "stay tuned".

What are we staying tuned for? Do you know something that you are not telling or are you simply speculating?

I should've edited my post a bit more or thought more before posting because I really didn't want anyone to focus on that portion of my post... I don't know why I tried to sneak it in there since I'm not supposed to.. discuss it yet.  ----> The original thrust of this entire thread, however, is supposed to be geared towards the question regarding why some Phoenix chr's don't use club radio edits of certain songs to have a more distinct sound from the rest of the chr's, especially when it comes to music from Adele and things like that?

I'm sure that there are others who must agree with the issue and suggestion I'm bringing to the table here, especially with all the dance lean format talk that's been discussed here over the years. One of the stations could (or should) use different available radio edits/remixes of songs.

The words "stay tuned" only meant that this subject will become relevant again at a later time, so stay tuned to this post. Right now, though, I'm focusing on the current Phoenix market set up. I could've also said "watch this space" like my UK friends do, but "stay tuned" seemed more appropriate and convenient in regard to radio talk.

KDM 7000 said:
I should've edited my post a bit more or thought more before posting because I really didn't want anyone to focus on that portion of my post... I don't know why I tried to sneak it in there since I'm not supposed to.. discuss it yet. ----> The original thrust of this entire thread, however, is supposed to be geared towards the question regarding why some Phoenix chr's don't use club radio edits of certain songs to have a more distinct sound from the rest of the chr's, especially when it comes to music from Adele and things like that?

I'm sure that there are others who must agree with the issue and suggestion I'm bringing to the table here, especially with all the dance lean format talk that's been discussed here over the years. One of the stations could (or should) use different available radio edits/remixes of songs.

The words "stay tuned" only meant that this subject will become relevant again at a later time, so stay tuned to this post. Right now, though, I'm focusing on the current Phoenix market set up. I could've also said "watch this space" like my UK friends do, but "stay tuned" seemed more appropriate and convenient in regard to radio talk.

"...not supposed to discuss it YET."...trouble

In any case, did you see my post about KZZP picking up GHR (Ghetto House Radio)? I actually like the mixes...last night they had Richard Vission, Kaskade, and somebody else.

DJ_Perry said:
....gonna be a couple more months

I hope you're talking about something else....

2Son said:
In any case, did you see my post about KZZP picking up GHR (Ghetto House Radio)? I actually like the mixes...last night they had Richard Vission, Kaskade, and somebody else.

I saw it. I missed the actual show last night since out of all times, I ended up falling asleep relatively early last night, but I did listen to some of the recordings through the link this morning. It sounded very nice, actually! Not what you'd expect from a title like "Ghetto House Radio".

Interestingly, it is a three hour show on late night Saturday nights, the same night as The House Party on 101.5 Jamz. The thing about that is although I prefer KZON the most over all, I like KZZP on Sunday mornings because their Perez Hilton Fab 30 Countdown show is much better than the Cannon Countdown. They also don't do "viewpoints" on KZZP. SO, lets say I just want to lay down and relax on a late Saturday night and drift off to sleep listening to the radio without having to get up and change the station later if I should wake up to pee or toss & turn. With Ghetto House Radio on KZZP now, I could just easily put it on that and just have KZZP on all through the night (sometimes).

It's also nice to be able to flip around and hear dance on more than one station WITHOUT having to travel outside of Arizona!

Too bad KFYI moved Handel On The Law to 5-8am. Since I'm rarely ever awake during that entire time period, I never tune in anymore. I do not normally drift off to sleep or go to bed listening to a station that wont still be playing things I desire if I should wake up later to toss & turn. I'm very picky about what I'm hearing, even when I'm just tossing & turning. Sometimes getting up and searching for the radio remote causes loss of sleepiness.

All these house / dance music shows popping up are very interesting because this is precisely how it all started the first time around! It was one station first, then the time for the show was increased on that station. Then another station picked it up....etc. The only difference between then and now is that back in the day, it was 103.9 and Power 92 (and then eventually 104.7 that took things to another level after rhythmic 103.9 flipped for their last time). Now, it's a more stable 101.5 and 104.7, so it's unlikely that one will flip and have another station pick up or create their own version of the show.

I wonder if Power 98.3 would've been better off keeping their electro-hip hop and house show? ....Or we're they still a little too far ahead of the game with that back in '09?

Anyway, way to go KZON and KZZP. While I have a hard time managing to choose what I want on my top 6 presets, two stations are for sure going to be the chr's I do not remove from my presets. I was on the verge of considering putting another chr on there, but not anymore.

DJ_Perry said:
Yeah yeah yeah....KVIT starts House Connection back in March and now the others wanna jump on board. Not saying I gave them the idea, but I would like to think we're ahead of the curve.

I think so...however, with KZON being a CBS station, they probably started theirs by trying to emulate B96 to some degree as they have historically had mix shows. KZZP probably tried to follow KZON's pattern. Now, if Hot 97.5 started doing a mix show, I would have to think that someone got fired over there.

Mild 97.5 won't do a Dance show. The PD says it is not a real format....well he said that back in 2008. Funny how a good amount of their playlist is on the Dance tip now. But I'm sure they'd be opposed to going any deeper.

At least Jamz has local talent. GHR has very credible DJs, but something about syndication rubs me the wrong way....especially in a market saturated with EDM DJs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom