• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Smooth Jazz Webcast?

Is there room for a new 24/7 Smooth Jazz internet station?
I'm tossing around the idea of starting one. I've always had a great deal of passion for the music -- and worked at a Jones affiliate in the mid 90's.

The biggest challenge would be getting the new music. I have a CD library that would take care of most of the gold. But, I only buy CD's when the Rippingtons, Peter White, or Dave Koz release a new one.

Anyways -- startup wouldn't be that big of a deal, since I'm already running http://www.wrjqradio.com 24/7. This new effort would be a "sister station" utilizing the same studios.

I guess my main question is -- is there room for a new station -- and if so, what would you be looking for in a new station?

Always room for another well-programmed outlet. It just takes guys with passion and an ear for the music. I noticed Patrice Rushen's "Days Gone By." Jones played that back in the day, and you certainly don't hear that cut anymore. I like the clean website and now playing script. Nice clean stream as well. Best of luck with it! :)

Thanks. I feel the same way. I like programming. I've always been a programmer. I like flow. And separation. And good music!

Wow! What a welcome surprise. As much as I enjoy hearing new tracks, it's great to hear a deeper mix of familiar songs. I can hear many similarities to Jones Radio.

The imaging is well done. The music mix definitely leans gold-based, but it's contemporary jazz gold and not classic soul.

As a minimalist, I also like the clean looking website. The online playlist is a nice feature. The only change I'd make to the site is to add an email address for contact. No need to clutter it up with other stuff.

I'd keep the music mix centered around the contemporary jazz/nac I've heard over the last few hours. Feel free to add more current records by similar c-jazz artists and maybe a few more upbeat/acid jazz tracks, but I'd avoid trying to evolve the sound much. You currently fill a void in the Smooth Jazz format. Many other stations lean to R&B or play only the top few songs.

The station sounds good enough to be on air in any market. I'm streaming it now on my squeezebox.

It sounds pretty good. Nice mix. Been listening for an hour now.

Love your new station, Aaron. It sounds like the type music blend I program on my MP3 player for the car!

It's great hearing many recent/older tracks you don't hear that often anymore. I love stuff like Joe Mc Bride's "After Sunset" and "Highland Park" and Art Porter's "Inside Myself", etc., etc..

It's interesting to hear a flow/blend of instrumentals who's textures are sax-dominant, then piano-dominant, then guitar-dominant....in addition to the tempo flow. Cool stuff.

As a person who's been in broadcasting for 4 decades, it's easy for me to realize you're a radio pro...just from listening. Great job...thanks for putting the station on.

Ex-KWJZ Seattle PD Carole Handley has a web station: www.smoothinseattle.com. It does play RnB-oriented gold mixed in and is a bit broader than just NAC/SJ...but, it's good too.

And, for Star100...I love the idea of minimalism (am working on it...LOL)...and love Leo's site: www.zenhabits.com. Don't let the URL fool you...it's not a religious site. Lots of great, everyday topics.

Have a great day, guys.

Sounds good from what I've heard so far! Heard a deep cut from The Benoit-Freeman Project: "Montecido." You definitely won't hear that on most stations that I know of - I'd love to have this station on my FM commercial radio dial. Keep up the great work!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom