• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Part 15 Broadcasters' Resource Launched

To address the query, the reason HobbyBroadcaster.net isn't loaded with tons of photos (yet) is because a text-rich site is quick loading and doesn't bog down as much. I do plan on having more pictures, mostly in the galleries of featured broadcasters as well as with product reviews, etc.

I understand the "eye candy" appeal factor and I also like it, but I also don't like long page loading times. I know I can certainly play with photo formats to make them less of a load on the site but I also want them to be good quality as well. I suppose I'm a bit anal about it all.

Give it time and I will start to add more glitz to the site. First and foremost I want it to be a very informative resource site for both the novice and serious Part 15 microcaster. I fully understand that pictures convey things that text simply can't but I hope I can strike a happy balance for everybody.

XRQKFM said:
C5 I think Hobby Broadcaster is going to be more technical oriented (text), Where as Radio Brandy hopes to inspire future broadcasters with the eye candy of some cool studios and equipment, we also hope to give future broadcasters some ideals on how to lay out their own studios and equipment to buy. Also keep in mind Bill just started the website a week ago.

Regarding radio board photos; most allow you to self host the photo to save space, sometimes a photo is worth a thousand words!

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

If it's technically oriented then all the more it should have some photos and/or illustrations, particularly if the site has any how-to features.

Among my other work, I serve as the webmaster for site dedicated to automotive restoration. Every how-to feature on the site has lots of photos with captions and even video segments.

I get emails from guys who appreciate being able to actually see in a picture what the author is describing, especially if what is being described is technical (and then we have those who can't read very well. They really need photos).

Many Part-15 broadcasters are inspired enough. What they need, oftentimes, is instruction on station construction (particularly transmitter set up) and operation that is provided in a clear, easy-to-follow manner. Photos would really help.

That's all I'm sayin'.

C5

Bill DeFelice said:
To address the query, the reason HobbyBroadcaster.net isn't loaded with tons of photos (yet) is because a text-rich site is quick loading and doesn't bog down as much. I do plan on having more pictures, mostly in the galleries of featured broadcasters as well as with product reviews, etc.

I understand the "eye candy" appeal factor and I also like it, but I also don't like long page loading times. I know I can certainly play with photo formats to make them less of a load on the site but I also want them to be good quality as well. I suppose I'm a bit anal about it all.

Give it time and I will start to add more glitz to the site. First and foremost I want it to be a very informative resource site for both the novice and serious Part 15 microcaster. I fully understand that pictures convey things that text simply can't but I hope I can strike a happy balance for everybody.

I appreciate that. So that they load quickly, I try to keep photos in the 100-250K range using both jpegs and gifs.

It actually isn't so much "eye candy" or glitz but good, solid how-to that could make the site really valuable.
Of course, station and station/owner profiles are great also, along with how their station serves the community.

But you have a good beginning, Bill, and I know maintaining a website is time-consuming work (to do it right, that is).

I look forward to seeing how your site evolves.

C5

Bill is right having a lot of photos can increase page loadtime, 98% of those coming to the Radio Brandy website have broadband, just the same I keep our photo sizes fairly small, and test it with a dial up myself on an old 350mhz running win98, most of our pages will load up in 40 seconds on dial up.
Bill does have some instructional images on his website already, like here: www.hobbybroadcaster.net/howto.html Bill did a good job illustrating basic set ups.
There is no reason to duplicate the same information so I just point people to where the information is like Bill's site. My day is booked solid teaching broadcasting, including refurbishing equipment and building antenna systems and updating websites in my sparetime. I would like to see more broadcasters summit photos and profiles to Bill like KVWJ did, I always enjoy reading about and seeing other radio station set ups.
The radios stations don’t have to elaborate as KVWJ, it’s always good to see what you can do with minimal space or equipment . I have one radio station compacted to fit on a single 18” wide shelf, includes Mini disc, DVD player & Hi-fi VHS VCR and a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer.

Steve
www.xrqk.com/KNJO/

XRQKFM said:
My day is booked solid teaching broadcasting, including refurbishing equipment and building antenna systems and updating websites in my sparetime.

Steve, I go through that "time crunch" feeling every day - do you get time to take lunch? :D

XRQKFM said:
I would like to see more broadcasters summit photos and profiles to Bill like KVWJ did, I always enjoy reading about and seeing other radio station set ups. The radios stations don’t have to elaborate as KVWJ, it’s always good to see what you can do with minimal space or equipment . I have one radio station compacted to fit on a single 18” wide shelf, includes Mini disc, DVD player & Hi-fi VHS VCR and a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. A simple setup will demonstrate that a great sounding Part 15 setup doesn't have to be big and resemble a studio (although I love the "maniac" setups, too). Currently my webstream setup is not much more than a laptop and an audio processor tucked into a corner of the basement during my home remodel. The vast majority of my current studio furnishing are being donated to the Part 15 I'm building up at a local high school (since the furniture is too big for the target room in my house). Nobody can tell how fancy or simple a setup is except by the sound that comes out of their radio.

I want to showcase all sorts of setups and I hope the site can show folks that you can have fun with Part 15 no matter how calm or crazy you go with your setup.

OK Folks,

I seemed to have experienced a casualty with the now former software used to run the forums on HobbyBroadcaster.net. Thanks to several users suggestions, I have moved the site to use the same forum software used here on Radio-info, which is call Simple Machines Forum. That's the good news.

The bad news was I wasn't able to successfully transfer the old user data to the new system, so if you had been registered on the old system you'll need to re-register. Sorry, but this was something I couldn't control. The good thing is there are plenty of safeguards with the new software to hopefully eliminate this from happening again.

I think the new board is now much better organized as well so it should make for a better community for Part 15ers, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom