• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Morning At The Bull

Brian Moote, of course, was part of Q99-7's Bert Show at one time.

I'm surprised they're paring him with Otis, currently in afternoon drive. IMHO, Otis is one of the top on-air people in the format. On Q99-7, Brian was the comedian on the show so they want someone good as the straight host. Still surprised they would pull Otis off afternoons.

They'll probably add a woman to the mix at some point, but it doesn't sound like she will be Kristen. Kristen is such a natural and has done a great job. Nothing lasts forever in radio, and very little lasts 20 years, and we don't know for sure she'll be leaving the station.

I'll add that doing something with the morning show was in the works since they let go Spencer Graves many months ago, and Kristen started hosting the show solo on a temporary basis.

Last edited:
Nothing lasts forever in radio, and very little lasts 20 years, and we don't know for sure she'll be leaving the station.
I wonder who has the longevity record in the Atlanta market. Kaedy Kiely celebrates her 40th year on ATL radio next year. Gary McKee also had a great run, but even by his own admission he was a mess at the end and should have hung up his cans earlier.

Neal Boortz started in ATL radio in 1969 and stayed on the air in some form or another until 2015 or so (46 years), not counting his current role at WFOM.

I moved to Atlanta in 1994, and I'm going to take a pretty safe guess that Scott Slade is the only person who is still on air at the same station and shift as he was then. He has to have been at WSB for around 40 years plus or minus (though not all in his current slot).

I think Bert Weiss has been on WWWQ Atlanta for over 20 years.
That's true. He's done an amazing job and taken the show into syndication.

Interesting that when the show debuted in 2001, a big part of their pitch to prospective listeners was, "Steve & Vikki was your parents' morning show." Well, 21 years later. . .

Country Aircheck reports that Kristen Gates will move to afternoons starting next week:

WUBL/Atlanta morning host Kristen Gates announced this morning (5/23) she will be moving to afternoons beginning next week. She will introduce the new voices that will be handling the morning shift tomorrow

So the morning show announcement isn't official yet.

Country Aircheck reports that Kristen Gates will move to afternoons starting next week:

So the morning show announcement isn't official yet.
That explains why they're moving Otis to mornings. The knew they needed a new morning show, and wanted to keep Kristen and Otis.

The Bull's longtime positioner was, "Atlanta's station for new country." That didn't change with the launch of New Country 101.5. Not long ago, The Bull became "Atlanta's station for new country and your all-time favorites," possibly reflecting the unpopularity of some of today's country product. Now, along with their other changes, they are "Atlanta's new country."

More news for The Bull today: They added a third voice for their new morning show. So they're spending money for talent:

This comes courtesy of CountryAircheck.com

Pacific Radio Top 40 KDDB/Honolulumorning host Kimmie Caruba has joined iHeartMedia WUBL/Atlanta as morning co-host. She rounds out the lineup of Brian Moote and Otis Maher who were announced as the station's new morning hosts last week. Caruba had been with KDDB since March 2020; she previously spent three years handling nights at then-Entercom WUSN/Chicago and was in the same shift at KMLE/Phoenix prior to that.

With a 6 hour time difference, will she do the Bull morning shift from Atlanta then voice track The Honolulu show? Or could she be remote from Hawaii for the Atlanta Show. About the only positive thing to come out of pandemic was some shows' with multiple hosts were remoted from the hosts homes. I wonder if the digital "lag" will allow her to interact in a timely manner?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom