• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Members -- How did you find this forum?

Just found this site looking for the latest info on Jim Bohannon. Looks a fun forum, having worked 20 years in the radio biz. Looking forward to good discussions!

As regular user of americanradiohisory.com for searching tecnical info in the old good magazines (Wireless World, IRE Proceedings, Electronics, Radio and the like) most of the times looking for footpages references in books for the original articles, and once I saw the banner inviting us to the forum. Most of this articles were printed read, and saved for readings.
I have some books of the old era: Terman's, Seeley, Wallman, Fink, Seely, Chance, Gray, Langford Smith... I usually search for the bibliography at the references pages or footnotes referring to other authors.
Well, some few days ago I registered myself and now I am here :)

I found the site when a search for info on an elusive pirate station yielded a post from here. I have to say it wasn't much of a viable lead in that case, but some of the content does look like it matches my interests.

I don’t remember exactly, but it was probably one of these:
• a mention that I saw years ago at Fybush.com (such as in a comments section, if they ever had those after the articles)
• a mention on some long-forgotten Usenet newsgroup

Since this was for new members, I wasn’t planning on commenting here, but I saw Lance's post and wanted to chime in. I first started posting on the National Broadcast Echo on FIDONet. I was routinely called a “stupid kid,” and the moderator even privately reached out several times to ask me to go away. I never did, at least not for long. He always said the board was for professionals, not kids, and the professionals didn’t have time to deal with us. Some of the people I met on FIDONet, by the way, are still friends today, though said moderator has never been.

After I started college, I never posted on FIDONet again and didn’t forget about broadcasting but had other priorities. I occasionally checked out rec.radio.broadcasting, and that was where I met Lance and the other founders of these boards.

Ten years after being asked to get off the broadcasting echo, this “stupid kid” had gone back to college and was working at one of the local radio clusters. I always enjoy hearing from the morning show at the local rock station, and, at its tenth anniversary party, the lead host told everybody he wouldn’t be in radio if not for me and how I taught him about all the technical aspects of the business. A friend who made it to Washington DC has said the same thing. It’s nice to know I had the talent and abilities to make it to a bigger market, but I didn’t get as far as some of the other kids on these boards. In any decent sized market, I was always relegated to garbage time. The company I was working for while I went back to college gave my job away after I graduated and, about a month afterward, cut the hours I was working down to part-time and my airtime to next to nothing. I received an offer from a market of similar size at the same shift and similar pay, and I received an offer outside of radio that paid $1,000/month more right from the start. Considering my car had just bitten the dust and I had a car payment in addition to the regular bills, I took the $1,000/month more.

One point I want to make is that “stupid kids” are the future of this industry. My time in it has come and gone. I still enjoy it, and everyone knows this board has a few kids. Some of them drive the pros nuts, but we really should take the time to talk with them and educate them. The industry needs those kids, just like it needed me 30 years ago. The moderator of that FIDONet board, no doubt, knew a lot, but he was a nonfactor in any of the knowledge I gained because he didn’t want to help and didn’t contribute to my development. The people who did were a big help and, as I mentioned, some are still friends today. If we really love the industry, we'll talk to the annoying kids and make the effort to teach them something. Every coin has two sides. If someone doesn’t know anything, someone’s not teaching them.

I kind of wish I remembered. I've never been in the media industry, but I'm fascinated by branding and announcing, as well as policy (especially, say FCC vis a vid CRTC with its "Can Con"). I also post and lurk on tvnewstalk.net, which strikes me as similar in mission to this one, but for TV.

How I discovered radiodiscussions.com? This website is specifically mentioned in our company policy. Employees are prohibited from using any form of social media to share job-related information and/or photos of broadcast equipment.

I remember joining this forum when it was still a part of Radio Info.

How are all the new members finding this forum?
Like a few other forums I belong to, it all started with looking for something specific that I couldn't find online or elsewhere, as is the case with this forum. I don't have a background in radio other than a listener, though I did make a radio spot for a Datsun dealership I worked for in 1978, haha. That was fun. I also like reading others' posts and maybe I'll have something to offer in response to those. It's nice to have a forum that focuses on a particular subject offering insight and learning opportunities rather than spending mindless idle time on Facebook!

Like a few other forums I belong to, it all started with looking for something specific that I couldn't find online or elsewhere, as is the case with this forum. I don't have a background in radio other than a listener, though I did make a radio spot for a Datsun dealership I worked for in 1978, haha. That was fun. I also like reading others' posts and maybe I'll have something to offer in response to those. It's nice to have a forum that focuses on a particular subject offering insight and learning opportunities rather than spending mindless idle time on Facebook!
Glad that you found us. Welcome!

I found this site after it was mentioned on the now defunct BCBLogger DX site. For a while I only posted on the DX & Reception threads.

I worked in the industry for 19 years at two different places. But I don't think any of the others I worked with in the radio industry ever have found their way here. Lost touch with most of them over the years. This site my remaining connection with radio, aside from turning one on and having a listen.

I joined Radio Discussions when I was quite young, probably in my early years of high school sometime around 2010 or so. I have always been very interested in radio (both from the side of talent and engineering), so I thought that this could be an interesting place to learn more. I wound up getting destroyed by some of the “old guard” when I first joined, but that’s okay, it’s part of the learning process. I went on to work in radio for seven or eight years while I was in university and when I first got into the job market. I’m out of the business now, but I always leave the door open to come back at some point.

I found this site after it was mentioned on the now defunct BCBLogger DX site. For a while I only posted on the DX & Reception threads.

I worked in the industry for 19 years at two different places. But I don't think any of the others I worked with in the radio industry ever have found their way here. Lost touch with most of them over the years. This site my remaining connection with radio, aside from turning one on and having a listen.
I appreciate you, @boombox4. Don't always agree with you politically, but most definitely appreciate many of your contributions and comments..

Back
Top Bottom