• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Jeopardy Host(s).

Of course there are. There are obsessive, trollish people everywhere. Probably still a few people who still can’t get over Alex having replaced Art Fleming (yes, in a new incarnation, but still)
I would think Ken Jennings has the inside track now, or Mayim moving into the weekday gig

Perhaps though both have factors that could be at issue. Mayim has a show to which she’s contractually bound and a family life to consider when taking on workload. Ken resides in Seattle and while obviously coming to LA for The Chase and other assorted specials, that time commitment to LA is perhaps a consideration.

Not to say either can’t do it, just that it’s not necessarily “plug and play.”

Where stations place these syndicated programs is contractual. There is usually no wiggle room. Jeopardy is indeed somewhat in a bind right now as it appears they will lose both their short term host and their executive producer. I don’t think this kills the franchise but may result in lower ratings as I earlier posted.

Mayim's popularity will likely overcome any of that. Nobody knew who Michael Richards was until he guest hosted. No, LeVar isn't getting the gig.

Mayim's popularity will likely overcome any of that. Nobody knew who Michael Richards was until he guest hosted. No, LeVar isn't getting the gig.
The opinions of Twitiots are 100% irrelevant. It's long past time for the news media to ignore anything spewing from Twitter. Social media is not news.

A report in Variety on this topic notes as stated earlier the Mike Richards episodes will air to maintain continuity for the champions who won that week.

The use of the plural noun may be a deliberate choice to (a) not reveal that the current champ remained champ through the first week of the season or (b) say without saying that he did not make it through the week. Either way, a deliberate choice to use the plural form of champion vs the more general “players.”

Adds some intrigue.

There are times like this that I wish that current Jeopardy episodes were available on demand. With the way I work now there are some days I'm off and get to see it live on local TV, but on other days I'm working and miss it. I do have DVR available, but it being on demand would be good for times when it might miss recording it if something major happens.

Jeopardy's not going anywhere. It might be a bumpy year but people like the game

I have been watching Jeopardy reruns (with Alex) on a local indy station but the longer I watch it the more bored I become. It may be that I am not very good at quick trivia questions but more likely it is that it is akin to baseball (long periods of inactivity interspersed with the occasional display of strategy). Trebek never seemed to me to be able to get any personality out of his contestants. The overall show format is way too disciplined and formal in the same way that the $64,000 Question was way back when. It definitely needs more spontaneity.

It definitely needs more spontaneity.

That is fundamentally contrary to goals of produced programs. The reason they hire lots of producers who pre-interview contestants is so they know the answers to the personal questions that the host will be asking. Which, by the way, would be a good reason NOT to hire the show's producer as a host.

I have been watching Jeopardy reruns (with Alex) on a local indy station but the longer I watch it the more bored I become. It may be that I am not very good at quick trivia questions but more likely it is that it is akin to baseball (long periods of inactivity interspersed with the occasional display of strategy). Trebek never seemed to me to be able to get any personality out of his contestants. The overall show format is way too disciplined and formal in the same way that the $64,000 Question was way back when. It definitely needs more spontaneity.

Dont you think if that was a winning formula, IE: more spontaneity and personality, theyd have done it? THere's a reason s thats A.) Jeopardy has been on so long and B.) that your not a game show producer

personality and spontaneity works on Family Fed, not Jeopardy

It definitely needs more spontaneity.
Yeah, the highest rated early prime TV show in America certainly needs lots of work.

(It's overall #1 in its time period and has been for 37 years)

Yeah, the highest rated early prime TV show in America certainly needs lots of work.

(It's overall #1 in its time period and has been for 37 years)

I never said anything about overhauling the show but the current format is, and has been, too rigid for far too long. I can't imagine its aging audience isn't dying off. In a lot of cases I think people are just too damned lazy to turn off the TV.

It might be interesting to learn the demographics of the evening version. Seems to me it must parallel the old Lawrence Welk Show. Given the game show competition these days it really isn't such a high bar. It does offer one thing that has always been a viewer grabber and that is it gives the viewer the chance to compare his/her mental acuity against the contestants. Something that the idiotic Wheel and other shows don't provide.

Dont you think if that was a winning formula, IE: more spontaneity and personality, theyd have done it? THere's a reason s thats A.) Jeopardy has been on so long and B.) that your not a game show producer

personality and spontaneity works on Family Fed, not Jeopardy

I did not advocate big changes. I suggested only that it lighten up a bit and give the viewers a bit more insight into the contestants. Comparing daily shows with each other you'd almost swear it was a scripted show. It will be interesting to see how the new host handles the interaction.

That is fundamentally contrary to goals of produced programs. The reason they hire lots of producers who pre-interview contestants is so they know the answers to the personal questions that the host will be asking. Which, by the way, would be a good reason NOT to hire the show's producer as a host.

I think you have it backwards. The producers interview potential contestants to find out WHAT questions the host should ask. Most of the answers tend to be awkward and sometimes downright stupid. Better the host just introduce the contestant and move on.

I did not advocate big changes. I suggested only that it lighten up a bit and give the viewers a bit more insight into the contestants. Comparing daily shows with each other you'd almost swear it was a scripted show. It will be interesting to see how the new host handles the interaction.

The usual path for a leading show is not to change anything. In this case, Alex's death forced a change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom