• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New C2 coming to Wharton

7430 Technologies had petitioned the commission asking the FCC to amend the table of allotments, which it has now done. There were no counter proposals or any opposition comments filed, the FCC says. The Class C facility on 103.3 MHz will be a maximum of 50 kW.

The company plans to file for the license, but it's going to have to go to auction first. It's site restricted to 1.3 miles west of Wharton.

Kind of far from where the original KJOJ was. At least something is happening with that frequency. I'm sure tropos will interfere with the KNTH translator. I wonder if they can change their directional pattern to not have a null to the north as there's no LPFM in Conroe anymore.

The company plans to file for the license, but it's going to have to go to auction first. It's site restricted to 1.3 miles west of Wharton.
🤣 Just what Wharton County needed.

This is the same area where 104.5 & 106.1 have recently been built in the last few years. Both have since been sold and now operate as extensions for the Aleluya programming. Whatever idea these folks think they're going to accomplish with petitioning to have this allocation slotted into Wharton, this is what will become the end result of their dream.

I mean, c'mon. The 100,000 watt KBBB is having a hard time of making it down there. If this is ever built, it'll be years before you'll ever have to worry about it interfering with 1070's translator, HTX. Under normal conditions, it won't be listenable east of highway 6, and you'll need to be in a vehicle to get a steady signal from west of 6 to around Kendleton. 50,000 watts on a pretty short stick sure isn't going to get out like the old KJOJ-FM did, and you know how unreliable KJOJ was around the entirety of the Houston area.

If this is ever built, it'll be years before you'll ever have to worry about it interfering with 1070's translator, HTX. Under normal conditions, it won't be listenable east of highway 6, and you'll need to be in a vehicle to get a steady signal from west of 6 to around Kendleton. 50,000 watts on a pretty short stick sure isn't going to get out like the old KJOJ-FM did, and you know how unreliable KJOJ was around the entirety of the Houston area.
Assuming a fully conforming Class C2 facility is built, the 60 dBu will go about 33 miles, reaching Sugar Land. A listenable signal in the car, or on a decent receiver, will make it to downtown Houston. But you are right, this will not be any sort of competitive Houston market operation. (I am ignoring the KNTH translator for the moment.)

For comparison KHVU 91.7 is a conforming C2, so you have a local point of reference.

When tropo kicks up the signal might actually be pretty solid across Houston. I recall the old KJOJ-FM 103.3 would blast into NW Harris County like a Missouri City stick when conditions were good.

Curious what sort of format the petitioners have in mind...or whether this is in reality a license flipping situation, once the license is acquired, or an actual facility is built. Might eventually be a simulcast for one of the eastern rimshots (Air1 for EMF, for example.)

I suppose I could look this up, but is the 103.3 allocation for Freeport now deleted?

Curious what sort of format the petitioners have in mind...or whether this is in reality a license flipping situation, once the license is acquired, or an actual facility is built. Might eventually be a simulcast for one of the eastern rimshots (Air1 for EMF, for example.)

I suppose I could look this up, but is the 103.3 allocation for Freeport now deleted?
Judging solely on who the party is that filed the petition, it would be a south Asain format trying to target the exploding Fort Bend County.

KJOJ-FM is indeed deleted, which opened the door for this current situation to even see the light of day. It may eventually get built, but it will be years from now. Maybe decades.

Back
Top Bottom