• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Bay on Mermaid Lane?

y100rocksu

Inactive
Inactive User
I understand there is now a new three bay antenna on Mermaid Lane in Wyndmoor mounted about 20 feet under the WJJZ three bay top mast facing SE, as apposed to the WJJZ mast facing NE.

Previously, I heard Nassau Broadcasting has an application to move their WTHK-FM 97.5 transmitter to Wyndmoor, but the FCC has not approved the move yet. Does anyone know if Nassau Broadcasting has a construction permit for a new bay on Mermaid Lane to complete the station move in to the Philadelphia market?

If so, what does this mean for the future of WTHK-FM 97.5 The Hawk?

I hope for something that will play new rock music. It's a crazy idea, I know, for a radio station to play anyhting new in the rock format! I'll just keep shelling out the money for Sirius, and listening to Y100rocks.com. Enjoy your new dance stashun, or other urban format we have too many of.

> I understand there is now a new three bay antenna on Mermaid
> Lane in Wyndmoor mounted about 20 feet under the WJJZ three
> bay top mast facing SE, as apposed to the WJJZ mast facing
> NE.
>
> Previously, I heard Nassau Broadcasting has an application
> to move their WTHK-FM 97.5 transmitter to Wyndmoor, but the
> FCC has not approved the move yet. Does anyone know if
> Nassau Broadcasting has a construction permit for a new bay
> on Mermaid Lane to complete the station move in to the
> Philadelphia market?
>
> If so, what does this mean for the future of WTHK-FM 97.5
> The Hawk?
>

If ther is to be anything cose to a new rock station, you can bet your ass that it will be an Active Rock station looooong before it will be a sweater wearing college music sounding-like y100 clone, here have a Kleenex, Y100 is dead and Jim gwinn should focus on his production duties at KYW as opposed to keeping alive a ho-humm noisy internet stream that has jocks that nobody cares about.>

I hope for something that will play new rock music. It's a
> crazy idea, I know, for a radio station to play anyhting new
> in the rock format! I'll just keep shelling out the money
> for Sirius, and listening to Y100rocks.com. Enjoy your new
> dance stashun, or other urban format we have too many of.
>
> > I understand there is now a new three bay antenna on
> Mermaid
> > Lane in Wyndmoor mounted about 20 feet under the WJJZ
> three
> > bay top mast facing SE, as apposed to the WJJZ mast facing
>
> > NE.
> >
> > Previously, I heard Nassau Broadcasting has an application
>
> > to move their WTHK-FM 97.5 transmitter to Wyndmoor, but
> the
> > FCC has not approved the move yet. Does anyone know if
> > Nassau Broadcasting has a construction permit for a new
> bay
> > on Mermaid Lane to complete the station move in to the
> > Philadelphia market?
> >
> > If so, what does this mean for the future of WTHK-FM 97.5
> > The Hawk?
> >
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Captain Happy on 03/08/06 01:45 AM.</FONT></P>

Not so.

My cousin lives in Chestnut Hill, off of Germantown Avenue near the hospital, I pass the tower frequently and as of today there were NO NEW BAYS up. The only FM radio bays are the three, triangular, black ones, on the very top for WJJZ, there are many microwave, cellphone and other antennas, but no radio bays. Can that rinky dink tower really support anything else before it comes tumbling down. From what I heard, Nassau will keep the Hawk format and moniker when they finally move to Mermaid Lane and keep it until they finally sell it off, which they definitely will, they want out of PA. What will happen to 107.5, will they simulcast with 97.5, do both signals overlap too much. In the end, what the new owners will do is up to them, hopefully, its some breed of Active Rock, lets just pray Radio One does not wind up with this, another property to ruin.

> If ther is to be anything cose to a new rock station, you
> can bet your ass that it will be an Active Rock station
> looooong before it will be a sweater wearing college music
> sounding-like y100 clone, here have a Kleenex, Y100 is dead
> and Jim gwinn should focus on his production duties at KYW
> as opposed to keeping alive a ho-humm noisy internet stream
> that has jocks that nobody cares about.>
>

First, I listen to and care about the DJs at Y100Rocks.com. They're helping Alternative survice in Philly.

Second, I can see a "sweater wearing college music sounding Y100 clone" working in the market, it sold well under Radio One's hands, and if done right like Y100, can be done again.

Third, Jim McGuinn isn't at KYW... he's teaching at Drexel I believe. Y100's creative imaging master (and I use that term VERY solidly) Zack jumped over to KYW to be their production director.

Yes Y100 is gone, yes people still mourn it. A year later though do you have to continue pissing on it's ashes?<P ID="signature">______________
"Growing old, and living for the moment."
~Rufio</P>

Re: Not so.

I wish Radio One wanted out of PA. along with their little bias mission statement.

-They took off WDRE to put on a crap station that never 'made it'
-They took off Y100 to move over that crap station that never 'made it' and is still not 'making it'
-Put on another crap station (already on several other stations) on the frequency the original crap station was moved off of, that is not working either.
-And let's not forget about 107.9...that is if you can get the signal. It was better hearing a clear WKRF then the messed up, cluttered up Dog fight that is happening on that signal now.

Well at least the Hawk moved in and I hope it stays......but as luck will have it Radio One will get the signal...........and here we go again.

> My cousin lives in Chestnut Hill, off of Germantown Avenue
> near the hospital, I pass the tower frequently and as of
> today there were NO NEW BAYS up. The only FM radio bays are
> the three, triangular, black ones, on the very top for WJJZ,
> there are many microwave, cellphone and other antennas, but
> no radio bays. Can that rinky dink tower really support
> anything else before it comes tumbling down. From what I
> heard, Nassau will keep the Hawk format and moniker when
> they finally move to Mermaid Lane and keep it until they
> finally sell it off, which they definitely will, they want
> out of PA. What will happen to 107.5, will they simulcast
> with 97.5, do both signals overlap too much. In the end,
> what the new owners will do is up to them, hopefully, its
> some breed of Active Rock, lets just pray Radio One does not
> wind up with this, another property to ruin.
>

Correction

I took a closer look today, there is a small three bay antenna on the side about 3/4 of the way up. Is this the backup for JJZ or could it be WTHK, it does not look new, its hard to locate when you just take a fast look, anyone else see this.

> -They took off Y100 to move over that crap station that
> never 'made it' and is still not 'making it'

The current 100.3 isn't doing any worse than Y100 did in the ratings.

Y100 never 'made it'.

> I hope for something that will play new rock music. It's a
> crazy idea, I know, for a radio station to play anyhting new
> in the rock format! I'll just keep shelling out the money
> for Sirius, and listening to Y100rocks.com. Enjoy your new
> dance stashun, or other urban format we have too many of.

There are too many dance "stashuns" in Philly? I can't find ONE!

And since when is Dance considered urban?

> > -They took off Y100 to move over that crap station that
> > never 'made it' and is still not 'making it'
>
> The current 100.3 isn't doing any worse than Y100 did in the
> ratings.
>
> Y100 never 'made it'.
>

Y100 made money. And in a business where money-making is important, than I'd say they "made it."<P ID="signature">______________
"Growing old, and living for the moment."
~Rufio</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom