• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New AM's at 1100 all over Florida?

From the FCC database..is there NO station in Florida at 1100?

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?stat...&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

Wow they MUST have lifted the ban..similer apps open for 1500 as well.

I noticed an application for 50KW in Fort Myers Villas with 6 towers! Can you imagine how much expensive real estate you would have to find down there to put those up? And for what? Who would listen after all that money was spent? That's why I would want an EXISTING signal, or a dark station with most of the logistics already done. THAT will be an expensive proposition in Fort Myers.

Well, if Greenacres gets the CP, then I can see Mr. Haney becoming the sales manager, ala Herb Tarlek. The Hooterville girls can be the receptionist. Mr. Douglas will be the Big Guy, Mr. Ziffel is Johnny Fever , and Arnold the pig plays the role of the Carp mascot.

Ft. Myers Villa?? What is that? An assissted living facility for aging boomers?

If granted, 1320 in Venice will move to 6 towers along I75 in Manatee County and change their COL to Longboat Key.... 35 kilowatts too.... Wow...

> From the FCC database..is there NO station in Florida at
> 1100?
>
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?state=FL&call=&city=&arn=&type=0&freq=1100&fre2=1100&facid=&list=0&dist> =&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9
>
>
> Wow they MUST have lifted the ban..similer apps open for
> 1500 as well.
>
> I noticed an application for 50KW in Fort Myers Villas with
> 6 towers! Can you imagine how much expensive real estate
> you would have to find down there to put those up? And for
> what? Who would listen after all that money was spent?
> That's why I would want an EXISTING signal, or a dark
> station with most of the logistics already done. THAT will
> be an expensive proposition in Fort Myers.
>

A couple comments about the potential licensees:

Birach owns and/or LMA's several AM's. I have listened to two of them and they are poorly managed, poorly programmed and poorly automated embarrasments. Hopefully Birach's other stations are operated on a higher level than their stations in Maryland.

Jack Gale is another applicant for a license on 1100 AM. Jack Gale was an incredible morning man/PD on Big Ways in Charlotte. A real legend and awesome talent who worked radio magic! You should be able to find some of his airchecks on www.reelradio.com

> Well, if Greenacres gets the CP, then I can see Mr. Haney
> becoming the sales manager, ala Herb Tarlek. The
> Hooterville girls can be the receptionist. Mr. Douglas will
> be the Big Guy, Mr. Ziffel is Johnny Fever , and Arnold the
> pig plays the role of the Carp mascot.
>
> Ft. Myers Villa?? What is that? An assissted living
> facility for aging boomers?
>
> If granted, 1320 in Venice will move to 6 towers along I75
> in Manatee County and change their COL to Longboat Key....
> 35 kilowatts too.... Wow...
>
>
>
> > From the FCC database..is there NO station in Florida at
> > 1100?
> >
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?state=FL&cal> l=&city=&arn=&type=0&freq=1100&fre2=1100&facid=&list=0&dist>
> =&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9
>
> >
> >
> > Wow they MUST have lifted the ban..similer apps open for
> > 1500 as well.
> >
> > I noticed an application for 50KW in Fort Myers Villas
> with
> > 6 towers! Can you imagine how much expensive real estate
> > you would have to find down there to put those up? And
> for
> > what? Who would listen after all that money was spent?
> > That's why I would want an EXISTING signal, or a dark
> > station with most of the logistics already done. THAT
> will
> > be an expensive proposition in Fort Myers.
> >
>

Re: NEW AM? Why bother?

Considering the investment into new facilities, why would anyone bother putting on a new AM? I don't think Wagonwhore style radio could even off-set the cost.<P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

> A couple comments about the potential licensees:
>
> Birach owns and/or LMA's several AM's. I have listened to
> two of them and they are poorly managed, poorly programmed
> and poorly automated embarrasments. Hopefully Birach's
> other stations are operated on a higher level than their
> stations in Maryland.

And at at least one station, Birach leases the station to an unscrupulous type -- in Grand Rapids, MI, Birach owns WMFN-AM 640, which he leases to a black man named Tyrone Bynum. A lot of listeners brand Tyrone a liar because he says he's getting alot of phone calls with praise for his urban station and says that his station is the most listened-to in Grand Rapids, while in reality, WMFN has flatlined at 0.0 in every book. Also, he mentions that he's the OWNER of WMFN, when he's actually leasing the station from Birach. Finally, earlier this year, he caught alot of hell from Detroit Tigers fans when he refused to carry Tigers games on Sunday, as it was "God's day".

I could go on and on, but the threads about Tyrone at the Michigan Buzzboard ( http://tinyurl.com/e3j64 ) speaks for itself.

Birach isn't really interested in programming. Pretty much all of his stations are brokered operations. Most of the programming on Birach's WEW in St. Louis is brokered foreign language.

> > A couple comments about the potential licensees:
> >
> > Birach owns and/or LMA's several AM's. I have listened to
>
> > two of them and they are poorly managed, poorly programmed
>
> > and poorly automated embarrasments. Hopefully Birach's
> > other stations are operated on a higher level than their
> > stations in Maryland.
>
> And at at least one station, Birach leases the station to an
> unscrupulous type -- in Grand Rapids, MI, Birach owns
> WMFN-AM 640, which he leases to a black man named Tyrone
> Bynum. A lot of listeners brand Tyrone a liar because he
> says he's getting alot of phone calls with praise for his
> urban station and says that his station is the most
> listened-to in Grand Rapids, while in reality, WMFN has
> flatlined at 0.0 in every book. Also, he mentions that he's
> the OWNER of WMFN, when he's actually leasing the station
> from Birach. Finally, earlier this year, he caught alot of
> hell from Detroit Tigers fans when he refused to carry
> Tigers games on Sunday, as it was "God's day".
>
> I could go on and on, but the threads about Tyrone at the
> Michigan Buzzboard ( http://tinyurl.com/e3j64 ) speaks for
> itself.
>

the COL game.

> Well, if Greenacres gets the CP, then I can see Mr. Haney
> becoming the sales manager, ala Herb Tarlek. The

Greenacres is actually well within the West Palm Beach market...Yes, the butt of many jokes, but if you can get a signal there, it's a Palm Beach signal, period....

> Ft. Myers Villa?? What is that? An assissted living
> facility for aging boomers?

Ft. Myers Villas already has WJPT/106.3 licensed to it.....I don't even think there's a population figure for it, but you also have "Pine Island Center", where Ft. Myers' WPTK/1200 is licensed, and my understanding is that said location is literally the *center* of Pine Island.

The FCC is in the process of changing the COL rules, and pretty much dissolving the whole "Tuck" issue, per what I've read....

Note also the 1120 in Coral Springs (Ft. Lauderdale), by a "Langer", who could be the same Langer based in Florida who brought back Natick/Boston's 1060 AM from the dark several years ago. A few other apps in there too, and some graveyarders as well in N. Central Fla.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom