• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Addition to Lima

A

AugC

.........................MARK BIGHAMEN of Sunny 95 in Columbus as well as venues around the country......

has landed in Lima to the Clear Channel studios....

what a great addition to the Lima radio scene and I'm sure Clear Channel is happy about that.

now back to columbus

Mark Bingaman, huh?

He probably doesn't remember when he used to babysit me when I was a little kid back in the mid 80's (TRUTHFULLY).

I find it somewhat funny how he and I are competing against each other now. Almost ironic, ya know?

Clear Channel could give 2 sh*ts less about Lima or Findlay right now. All they want to do is slice and dice the clusters into a fine puree and sell to the highest bidder.

If I am not mistaken, Mark was in Lima in the 90's after Hot 105 went by the wayside...I could be mistaken...I think he worked at Cat Country or something like that...I am not entirely familiar with the Lima market.

GERONIMO is a SUPER talent and a wonderful person...Lima just got a little better.

xianbroadcaster said:
If I am not mistaken, Mark was in Lima in the 90's after Hot 105 went by the wayside...I could be mistaken...I think he worked at Cat Country or something like that...I am not entirely familiar with the Lima market.

GERONIMO is a SUPER talent and a wonderful person...Lima just got a little better.

Uh...no Cat Country in Lima.

Mark worked in Lima before going to Columbus; he worked in Fort Wayne for awhile after Hot 105.

pbf1 said:
xianbroadcaster said:

Uh...no Cat Country in Lima.

Mark worked in Lima before going to Columbus; he worked in Fort Wayne for awhile after Hot 105.

Ok, it's been a hundred years...I guess my memory fails me.

Ed "Burned WBNS-AM into the ground because he didnt know how to program Sports Talk" Douglas you mean?

It's sad what is happening in Lima, in fact it's tragic. Bank on the fact that more stuff will hit the fan soon. Whomever gets the cluster is going to have a hard time restoring public, and advertiser confidence.

Perhaps the best solution would be for someone to take 1150/102.1 for Lima, make 106.3 a local Ottawa station, 93.9 a local Bluffton station, move 107.5 to a Wapak station as their local station (one of a few county seats with no local service), and 103.3 to Spencerville.

BTW, does anyone know what's happening at WKKI-FM and WCSM-FM? In less than 30 days they loose their tower, as it's to be dropped to the ground. Do they have a new home yet?

cluster is the way of today and tomarrow. sorry just the way it is...why would you make 1033 spencerville? put it back in st.marys where it's from if your gonna split it back :)
1075 to stay in lima
92.1 to go back to wapak(yes..that where it belongs)

by the way..clear channel absorbed all the markets that were to be sold...not selling anytime soon anyway.

didn't hear the csm kki situation...is that owned by wright state(tower)? i couldn't imagine someone would let that happen.
where did you hear that fromif you don't mind me asking?
bk

Fred:

Sadly, you're absolutely right about the Lima market in regards to radio.

I remember when I was first starting out back in '96, and all (I repeat, "ALL") of the radio in Lima was fun and worth listening to. It was relevant, and that's what made it so good. People made money, and as they say in the Applebees commercial, everyone was "eatin' good in the neighborhood". Over the last eleven and a half years since I started, I have watched each station, one by one in the market, go down and now there is absolutely nothing left to listen to in this market besides the stations based outside of Lima, and most of the time, outside of the state.

I didn't want to accept it for the longest time, but it's true. Being on both sides of the equation (working on both sides of the street), I have seen and been on the front lines of the fight...and from my point of view (especially with everything that I've seen happen over the last year, maybe year and a half), it's just not worth fighting for anymore.

...and for the record, I would like to say that this is not coming from the point of view of anyone who is bitter, nor is it coming the point of view of someone who was terminated, and then decided to vent their frustrations on a message board (just to clear the air). This is coming from the point of view of someone who is extremely proud of everything that they have done and accomplished within the market, and outside of the market.
From starting out as a mascot, to board-op'ing, to VT'ing a shift because I was too nervous to go live, to going live, to finding a new calling in production, to programming, to co-writing and producing a sports-talk show, to working live for the number one station in town, to producing for another sports-talk show and getting recognized on an international level, to imaging for a market just below the Top-50 mark...I honestly believe that I can look back (so far) and say it's been a great ride, and a ride that I if I had the chance to (and could do it with no future negative reprocussions), I would do it all over again in a flash...but, that's not possible.

So, the only thing that I can do is move on. I accepted a long time ago that Lima radio is dead. It's dead in the water, and there's no turning back. That's why I decided to get work outside of the market, and also, branch into television and web media. One day, I do intend to move on and do radio outside of the market, but until that point, I will do what I have to do and work with what I have to to survive until that time comes (which hopefully will be soon considering that I'm getting married in May).

It seems like I've been saying this a lot lately, but it's the truth. FRED RICHARDS IS RIGHT!

Fred, you are right on the money.

Clear Channel has made a mess of what was once great radio in Lima. They brought in management from Findlay who destroyed the cluster. It is going to take 5-7 years minimum to even get that cluster out of the grips of death. They have a bad morale, their street cred is in the toilet and their management is in such bad shape that they are going through a major crisis right now. And this is just the beginning of problems for West Market.

A company with stations in Indiana and Florida was in the building a while back and said it would take YEARS to get the stations back in performing order. Another company who owns stations only in Indiana said that it would take millions (15-20) to even think about getting the cluster into shape. And its all becuase what was done in a little over a year.

I heard that Wright was tearing that tower down too. Whats going to happen? I mean, they could move onto the old WAXC tower in Moulton thats now a cell tower couldnt they? Or is that too far to the east?

too far to the east.....and no it's not a cell tower it's owned by time warner....there are other similar sized towers around celina that they could use.

i hear a couple of people are talking of approaching maverick and taking a couple of stations off of their hands....

should be intersting indeed

AugC said:
didn't hear the csm kki situation...is that owned by wright state(tower)? i couldn't imagine someone would let that happen.
where did you hear that fromif you don't mind me asking?
bk

A close source in the area. The problem is that the tower is extremely unsafe, and needs to be brought down. The guy wires are in very sad shape. One of fellows I know in the area said he doesn't think they will be able to get their ham radio repeater antenna off, so I have doubts that the FM bays will come down .... unless someone can think of something "creative".

The new tower is suppose to go up across the road.

I'm not sure of the owner. I think it might be a private owner, but I'm really not sure.

I think the new tower will be right across the road. But, I don't know if construction has started or not.

Last time I was down in Spencertucky to look at a site for a proposed low profile ham repeater, the ground is still pretty wet. It almost took my boot off as I sunk to the top of my foot.

I'm not sure I would really want to pour cement anchors in the muck. Not the wisest thing to do unless you have a Plan-B. :)

Kentuckymedia... you're right, it would take a lot of work. I looked at it from the inside out, and at this point you would be just buying a license.

I would like to see 106.3 go back to Ottawa, and 107.5 to Wapak. Those are two towns that drastically need a local voice.

92.1 won't go to Wapak as that's a Maverick station. (Maybe they would trade 107.5 for 92.1, and then CC could move 92.1 to Wapak). 103.3 could go back to St Marys, but does St Marys need another station?

Personally, I would like to see some of the small communities around the area actually get these stations, and ethical owners, local owners, who would operate them in the public interest. What we don't need is more clusters, and group owners that don't give a mouse's butt about the people in the community. {deep sigh}

AugC said:
too far to the east.....and no it's not a cell tower it's owned by time warner....there are other similar sized towers around celina that they could use.

i hear a couple of people are talking of approaching maverick and taking a couple of stations off of their hands....

*As far as Maverick is concerned, the only station they could take, outright, is WIMA...unless they swap. They are at their maximum ownership limit. I got that answer from the big cheese himself. My take is that unless CC finds a company that is so desparate that they would take the cluster "as is", they may have no other option than to sell the stations as single stations. Then again, could I be grasping at straws here?*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom