• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Network affiliates for stations in your area

What networks were the radio stations in your area affiliated with growing up? For me in northwest NC, the stations I predominantly listened to were WKSK 580 AM in Jefferson, NC, which for decades was an affiliate of AP Radio News (now affiliated with ABC), WBRF 98.1 FM in Galax, VA, which was CBS affiliated until around 5 years ago, then carried Westwood One's hourly news service for about a year, then dropped hourly news altogether, and WFMX 105.7 in Statesville, NC, which was affiliated with the ABC Direction Network, which gave them clearance to run Paul Harvey News, but did not carry ABC/D newscasts.

Just going from memory of the 80s...
KONA (610 Tri Cities WA) and KIT (1280 Yakima) were ABC
KMWX (1460 Yakima) was NBC, but don't remember them doing anything besides hourly news
KREW (1210 Sunnyside) was CBS. They aired pretty much the whole network feed, even including CBS Mystery Theater

WGIR (610). Manchester, NH --- NBC (Now iHeart)
ex-WLNH (now WEZS)(1350), Laconia, NH --- ABC (not sure what they run now......)
WKXL (1450), Concord, NH --- CBS (now Christian owned Family Media)
WASR (1420), Wolfeboro, NH --- Did use ABC Contemporary and Information during the 70s and early 80s......

Seattle:

570 KVI Mutual
710 KIRO CBS
1000 KOMO ABC
1090 KING NBC

For me, this gets kind of complicated since we moved around quite a bit. Home base was Columbia, Missouri: 1400 KFRU ABC (later ABC Information + Paul Harvey + Howard Cosell, as well as the Missouri Network).

Albuquerque, NM mid-1960s:
610 KGGM CBS
770 KOB NBC
1150 KDEF ABC (sometimes)
1450 KRZY ABC (sometimes)

Southern Iowa late 1960s, early 1970s:
1400 KCOG ABC Information + Paul Harvey (the most local station)
1240 KBIZ CBS (Ottumwa)
1450 KIRX ABC Information (Kirksville, Mo.)
94.5 KRXL ABC FM (Kirksville, Mo.)
1040 WHO NBC (Des Moines)
1350 KRNT CBS (Des Moines, not such a great signal where we were)

St. Louis area, 1970s:
550 KSD NBC
730 KWRE Brownfield (a Missouri-based agricultural news network) (Warrenton, Mo.)
770 WEW ABC Entertainment
1120 KMOX CBS (of course) (also 103.3 KMOX-FM)
1430 WIL ABC Information + Paul Harvey
1460 KIRL ABC Contemporary
100.3 WOKZ-FM Associated Press Radio (Alton, Illinois)

Metro Detroit, 1968 into early 1969:

CBS 760 WJR
NBC 950 WWJ
American Information 1340 WEXL
American Entertainment 1270 WXYZ (ABC O&O, had been the sole ABC affiliate prior to the early '68 network split)
American FM 104.3 WOMC
Mutual 1500 WJBK
NERN (forerunner of NPR) 101.9 WDET (still NPR)
CBC 1550 CBEF

800 CKLW had been a partial (or "supplemental") Mutual affiliate during the '50s and early '60s, and had been Windsor's CBC affiliate before CBEF came on the air around 1950. WJR spent a few years as an indie from roughly 1958-63, and 1310 WKMH (predecessor of WKNR) picked up the CBS affiliation as did a number of smaller stations in nearby markets.

Nearby markets (also 68/early 69):

Ann Arbor
American Information 1050 WPAG
American Contemporary 102.9 WOIA/1290 WOIB
Mutual 1600 WAAM

Flint
NBC 910 WFDF
American Entertainment 1470 WKMF
American FM 107.9 WGMZ
Mutual 1570/105.5 WMRP

Toledo
NBC 1370 WSPD
American Contemporary 1470 WOHO
American Entertainment 1520 WTTO
American FM 104.7 WCWA-FM
Mutual 1230 WCWA

According to worldradiohistory.com (& my own memory.), KAOL-FM\KMZU-FM in Carrollton, MO, had carried the Keystone Broadcasting System (early 60's-70's?), Missouri Net & Brownfield (mid 70's-80's) ABC Direction (80's-early 2000's?), NBC (early-to-mid 2000's), ABC (mid-2000's-?).

I'm not sure what network they are carrying now, but their co-owned sister station, KRLI 103.9FM, was carrying Fox News Radio as of about 5 years ago.

During the times that KMZU carried the ABC Radio networks, they did carry Paul Harvey.

Last edited:
Self correction: I did mean CBE, not CBEF. I just typed CBEF because their current frequency is CBE's former frequency. Chalk it up to a stomach virus and lack of sleep.

Metro Detroit, 1968 into early 1969:

CBS 760 WJR
NBC 950 WWJ
American Information 1340 WEXL
American Entertainment 1270 WXYZ (ABC O&O, had been the sole ABC affiliate prior to the early '68 network split)
American FM 104.3 WOMC
Mutual 1500 WJBK
NERN (forerunner of NPR) 101.9 WDET (still NPR)
CBC 1550 CBEF

800 CKLW had been a partial (or "supplemental") Mutual affiliate during the '50s and early '60s, and had been Windsor's CBC affiliate before CBEF came on the air around 1950. WJR spent a few years as an indie from roughly 1958-63, and 1310 WKMH (predecessor of WKNR) picked up the CBS affiliation as did a number of smaller stations in nearby markets.

Nearby markets (also 68/early 69):

Ann Arbor
American Information 1050 WPAG
American Contemporary 102.9 WOIA/1290 WOIB
Mutual 1600 WAAM

Flint
NBC 910 WFDF
American Entertainment 1470 WKMF
American FM 107.9 WGMZ
Mutual 1570/105.5 WMRP

Toledo
NBC 1370 WSPD
American Contemporary 1470 WOHO
American Entertainment 1520 WTTO
American FM 104.7 WCWA-FM
Mutual 1230 WCWA
As I recall 1550 was CBE. CBEF was the CBC French network on 540. (Didn't see your correction, sorry. )

Last edited:
Where to begin. My first station, WCSM AM/FM Celina, Ohio was ABC Information with Paul Harvey. I felt a step above because we carried ABC instead of Mutual, but had Paul Harvey bolted to Mutual, I'm sure we would have too.

WPGW Portland, IN. 3 of the 4 ABC Networks before ownership change and settling on Contemporary.

Lima, OH: WIMA ABC/E, WIMA-FM ABC/I, not sure about WCIT.sister WLSR I think ABC/FM.

Fort Wayne, IN...WOWO AP Network News cuts, weekend overnights.
WKJG, NBC, when it became WMEE I don't remember network news but I assume they got national news cuts somewhere (they did their own 20-20, somewhat a knock-off of CKLW.). Not familiar with the rest.

Dayton, OH. WHIO CBS. WVUD ABC/FM. WAVI (talk) ABC/E, sister soul WDAO ABC but maybe only cuts, eventually National Black Network. Not sure about WONE, WTUE or WING

WMVR Sidney, OH was one of many small-town Mutual affiliates, and it seems a lot of them bailed for UPI Audio. .

Also, 540 CBEF didn't sign on until 1970. ;)

630 CFCO Chatham and 1070 CHOK Sarnia were two other CBC affiliates that could be picked up (and still can be) in much of the Detroit metro. Both disaffiliated in the late '70s or thereabouts and were replaced by CBC O&O FM rebroadcasters of 1550 CBE (which still exist as rebroadcasters of 97.5 CBEW-FM).

700 WLW of course was NBC for a good chunk of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I've also heard they ran ABC's "News at :55" at the bottom of the hour.

West Michigan had 1300 WOOD as NBC and John Fetzer stations 590 WKZO (Kalamazoo) and 1230 WJEF (Grand Rapids) as CBS. After the ABC split in '68, 1340 WLAV was American Contemporary, 810 WJPW (in Rockford, a small town not far north of Grand Rapids) was American Entertainment, and 96.9 WLAV-FM was American FM.

Lansing, like Flint, Ann Arbor and Toledo, got CBS via WJR, but 1240 WJIM was NBC. After the ABC split, 730/94.9 WVIC got the American Information network and 99.1 WSWM (which would shortly change its call letters to WFMK) took American FM. I assume WVIC must have switched to the Contemporary network very shortly afterward, because they were one of the first American Top 40 affiliate stations in 1970-71, but if I'm not mistaken they still had an MOR format in 1968-69.

WLEN 103.9 Adrian, MI was Mutual back then. They're ABC now, but they were affiliated with NBC until their radio network shut down.

In Michigan's Thumb, 660 WMIC/97.7 WTGV in Sandusky are ABC and have been with the Information network as long as I can remember.

According to worldradiohistory.com (& my own memory.), KAOL-FM\KMZU-FM in Carrollton, MO, had carried the Keystone Broadcasting System (early 60's-70's?),
Keystone wasn't an interconnected network, though.

Missouri Net & Brownfield (mid 70's-80's) ABC Direction (80's-early 2000's?), NBC (early-to-mid 2000's), ABC (mid-2000's-?).
Missourinet wholesaled ABC Direction. At KFRU in Columbia, we had Missourinet, and we could listen into ABC Direction at the top of the hour. We were a legacy ABC affiliate, so we had our own ABC feed (Information + Paul Harvey + Howard Cosell + various news commentaries that we ran in the early evenings). The Missourinet stations that picked up Direction didn't have access to those services.

I'm not sure what network they are carrying now, but their co-owned sister station, KRLI 103.9FM, was carrying Fox News Radio as of about 5 years ago.
I don't know either. I go to Columbia once or twice a year, but it's just a little too far from Carrollton for reliable reception of KMZU.

Keystone wasn't an interconnected network, though.

Missourinet wholesaled ABC Direction. At KFRU in Columbia, we had Missourinet, and we could listen into ABC Direction at the top of the hour. We were a legacy ABC affiliate, so we had our own ABC feed (Information + Paul Harvey + Howard Cosell + various news commentaries that we ran in the early evenings). The Missourinet stations that picked up Direction didn't have access to those services.

I don't know either. I go to Columbia once or twice a year, but it's just a little too far from Carrollton for reliable reception of KMZU.
That sounds a little like a station in Piqua, Ohio, where the basically-forgotten AM ran USA Radio Network, but we didn't get USA from USA, we got it from a North Carolina farm network. This network ran USA when they weren't running farm programming so newcasts at 6am and noon were pre-empted. The transponder was used for other things as well, sometimes instead of USA we'd get 5 minutes of a basketball game or some station's car dealer remote.
Speaking of Missouri, when I worked in the Hannibal/Quincy market in the mid 80s at KGRC, we carried ABC/FM, recorded then at :45, played at the top of the hour. WTAD carried CBS, their co-owned CHR WQCY (then at 99.5) carried RadioRadio, CBS's brief attempt at a young adult network. RadioRadio was never the on-air branding, it was always "for CBS News, I'm ___________" at the end, Both these stations were co-owned with KHQA TV 7, the CBS TV affiliate.

700 WLW of course was NBC for a good chunk of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I've also heard they ran ABC's "News at :55" at the bottom of the hour.
True on WLW's NBC history. If you check out the full day programming of WLW on Nov. 22, 1963 before the assassination on YouTube, you'll note that, and that WLW delayed the 1pm news until 1:30 during Ruth Lyons 50-50 Club. I'm not aware ABC coming into the picture until the Randy Michaels era. WLW did not carry full ABC newscasts (still don't), but news actualties, status reports during breaking news and continuing coverage when needed. WLW briefly switched to Fox, then switched back. I'm thinking WKRC might have been ABC/E under Taft in their AC/oldies years but don't hold me to it.

Speaking of Missouri, when I worked in the Hannibal/Quincy market in the mid 80s at KGRC, we carried ABC/FM, recorded then at :45, played at the top of the hour. WTAD carried CBS, their co-owned CHR WQCY (then at 99.5) carried RadioRadio, CBS's brief attempt at a young adult network. RadioRadio was never the on-air branding, it was always "for CBS News, I'm ___________" at the end, Both these stations were co-owned with KHQA TV 7, the CBS TV affiliate.
Lee Enterprises stations even then, I assume. They had a good reputation.

I believe KGRC started out as an ABC-FM affiliate. It came on the air late in 1968. It wasn't the first FM station I heard (that was KRXL in Kirksville) but it was one of the first. There weren't a lot of FM stations to pick up at the Iowa-Missouri border in those days. I also believe KGRC is still operating with its original facilities.

I have so slept since then but it sounds familiar. KGRC (now Real 92.9) along with several former competitors is owned by STARRadio, a group that has stations in Great Falls, MT and Kankakee, IL. KHQA, after several ownership changes is, you guessed it, Sinclair, with most of the news fed from Champaign, IL.

Chicago growing up, network clear-channel O-and-Os:

NBC 660 WMAQ (and 101.1 FM)
CBS 780 WBBM (and 96.3)
ABC 890 WLS (and 94.7)

Plus
Westinghouse 560 WIND (took Mutual sports, inc. Notre Dame football)
Tribune Co. 720 WGN 50 kW clear
Chi Federation of Labor 1000 WCFL
Polugh Inc. 1160 WJJD (104.3)

Chicago growing up, network clear-channel O-and-Os:

NBC 660 WMAQ (and 101.1 FM)
CBS 780 WBBM (and 96.3)
ABC 890 WLS (and 94.7)

Plus
Westinghouse 560 WIND (took Mutual sports, inc. Notre Dame football)
Tribune Co. 720 WGN 50 kW clear
Chi Federation of Labor 1000 WCFL
Polugh Inc. 1160 WJJD (104.3)
In later days Mutual CFL.

Back
Top Bottom