• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Need some advice

Hey everyone, I'm a high school student in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm really into radio and have also become active in a youth ministry. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get involved in CCM Radio?

travisl5678 said:
Hey everyone, I'm a high school student in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm really into radio and have also become active in a youth ministry. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get involved in CCM Radio?

I guess the first question I would ask is - is there any CCM station in the Bay area?

If there is, you need to determine if it is for profit or non-profit. There probably isn't a lot of ways into a commercial station. But non-profits always operate on razor thin margins, and could probably use all the volunteer help they can get. You might start by answering the phones or sweeping out the place, but as you get known as a faithful volunteer, and make contacts at the station, you might be able to ask for a try behind the mike. I'd wait before doing it until they know you, but it is a heavily networked industry and those contacts you make will help.

Hats off to you - I'd venture to say you are operating in enemy territory! My daughter and her friend (14 years old at the time) were "treated" to a naked bicycle parade the last time we were out there. So - yeah - the Bay area needs Christ!

Travis,

It really is not as easy as it used to be. I got my start at a little AM station that played soft AC. The manager was a believer, so worked hard to stick with clean songs..at least as close to that as possible.
It took me six attempts before getting hired.

It's too bad there is not a WAY FM in the Bay Area because they do use some volunteers. It may be that you will want to just research locally to find out if any stations can use your help.

After my first job, I worked in Christian radio 13 years. I really was blessed during that time.

Feel free to let us know if there are ways we can help you.

Alan

The Bay Area is certainly EMF Territory, and that is usually what I listen to, but I found that KYCC has a traslator in the area as well.

travisl5678 said:

When it comes to opportunity, we are sometimes faced with what people who play card games often say: You have to play the cards you are dealt. If there are no CCM stations in your area that have space for volunteers, your ability to become "involved" may have to be put on hold until you find yourself in a different location: The most logical question at this point is "What is next.. after high school?" Are you planning on college? Will the ability to participate in or pursue CCM radio affect your decision on future education?

As a general rule I speculate that there are a lot of things in life that have a life-span of maybe 20 years or so. Today CCM Radio looks like the place you want to be. So you find the perfect situation where you can pursue further education and get your foot into CCM Radio if you relocate to <insert georgraphy here>. What is your game plan for 27 years from now when CCM radio is something talk about and write about in a historical sense?

Will your path you are planning today prepare you to move to something beyond radio, move to something the replaces CCM programming in the future? Some of us who used to live, eat and sleep radio can tell you that it is possible a time can come in your life when you say: What was I thinking!

Are you contemplating a life of working in the church world, in the ministry? Or do you see yourself sitting at a desk in some corporation some day making sure that the public has a choice of the best widgets mankind can manufacture when they walk into a big-box store looking for widgets?

Some people get to make a career out of radio. Is that what you want. Some people wake us saying one of two things: (1) That was great while it lasted. Time now to get serious. I will enjoy the memories. (2) What was I thinking! What took me so long to 'get out of Dodge'.

I've done a little bit of everything there is to do in the world of church participation. Getting all excited about what kind of music to play on a radio station is a pretty trivial part of my memories today.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
Will your path you are planning today prepare you to move to something beyond radio, move to something the replaces CCM programming in the future? Some of us who used to live, eat and sleep radio can tell you that it is possible a time can come in your life when you say: What was I thinking!

Are you contemplating a life of working in the church world, in the ministry? Or do you see yourself sitting at a desk in some corporation some day making sure that the public has a choice of the best widgets mankind can manufacture when they walk into a big-box store looking for widgets?

Thinking of the future is very good advice. Who would have thought in the late 80's and early 90's that CCM radio would essentially die off in favor of praise and worship? I've talked with more than one poster on this and other boards that believes praise and worship music IS CCM. Not their fault, they are woefully ignorant of the golden era of early CCM when creativity prevailed. Those few of us who resisted the praise and worship movement were bullied right out of radio. Young people, it would seem, are not valued by the church and especially not by radio owners, because their music is lively and doesn't fit into that box where they have sequestered God. If its not praise and worship or southern gospel or hymns or preaching - it must be evil. Jeff Godwin and his av1611.org folks have shown us the "truth" from their perspective - whew - we don't have to deal with kids any more. Problem solved. Or not - if you are a young person.

My point is that if you try to make waves in the CCM world, to make a difference for Christ, to reach young people - you are going to face attacks from the enemy. They will be vicious and brutal - attacking your personal integrity and walk. If you aren't absolutely sure you are where Christ would have you, or you don't have a thick enough skin to withstand the attacks of the enemy - some of which will come from seeming pious individuals, I'd find another ministry. I can honestly say - some of the worst treatment I have received at the hands of other human beings have been from people in the church opposed to using Christian rock - and REAL CCM - to reach young people.

As to what CCM will be in the future, I can tell you the internet and streaming has broken the stranglehold of people opposed to CCM. The music is there, it has always been there, thanks to the internet it can be heard, and once people hear life changing Christian music in their preferred style, they will never go back to the sterilized praise and worship. So in 30 years, all the self-righteous pharisees who succeeded in suppressing music they didn't like will be dead, and replaced with younger people who are now discovering Christian rock and true CCM for the first time. From that point of view, the future is very bright for CCM, and someone like you getting in on the ground floor of the opportunity could probably make an excellent career. I think CCM is where secular rock was about 50 or 60 years ago. Not mainstreamed yet. What is needed is a Christian version of Dick Clark to make it less threatening to parents and church leadership, while at the same time embracing the genre and promoting the best within it. I hope maybe that is your calling!

travisl5678 said:

Others have made some great recommendations. I heard K-LOVE thrown around a few times. I worked there for almost 7 years, great place to work and located in Sacramento (not far from you). If you're willing to move after High School or you plan to attend college in Sacramento or even better William Jessup University in Rocklin (.5 miles from K-LOVE), you may want to take a look at their career pages.

http://www.klove.com/about/jobs.aspx
http://www.air1.com/About/Employment.aspx

Best of luck to you, let us know how your search goes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom