• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

need advice on what can/can't be said on air, please help

grexter

Inactive
Inactive User
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some practical advice on what can’t and can’t be said on commercial FM radio – based on your practical experience in the field.

I’m familiar to some extent with FCC’s “criteria” and I know the “7 words” you can’t say on radio etc. I’m also aware of the fact that every market is somewhat different and what works in one community/market wouldn’t necessarily work in another.

Would the following words be “allowed” to be part of a comedy segment that would be broadcast during morning drive in your particular market? (By allowed, I don’t mean just “legal”, I mean it could be aired as part of a comedy bit and wouldn’t get complains)

1) Hell: contex: hahaha…. You can be sure as hell that I will hehehe… / what the hell are you talking about hahaha.
2) Boobs: contex: This guy is a sleaze, he always looks at women’s boobs
3) Ass: this car kicks ass
4) To have sex: - may sound weird but on my local radio, I don’t really recall hearing a sentence that would say someone “is having sex” ... – or maybe I just didn’t notice…?
5) Orgasm: in a joke, patient tells the doctor she fakes orgasms
6) Goddamn : I have this goddamn headache

NOTE: everything would be in the context of otherwise “pretty clean” comedy. A word like the ones described above would only show up say once a week or once every 2 weeks. (i.e. not a frequent occurrence, and it would show up only once during the comedy bit, not every 10 seconds). The type of radio station airing it would be a station that has mostly young (under 35) listener’s base.

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be much appreciated

Was the 2004 issue of "radio stations and over-the-air television channels cannot air material that refers to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m.-10 p.m., when children might be tuning in." under Powell ever resolved?

Short of the "7 words" uttered by Carlin, and the basis of the Pacifica decision, everything else is subject to " community standards" and having someone file an actual complaint with the FCC.

The crime is not in doing it, the crime is getting caught.

then there is this 2001 missive from the FCC
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2001/fcc01090.html

Barry Scott can't mention on the air that the song "Little Willie" by The Sweet is about an erection. That is a CBS directive IIRC.

MRBIboredop said:
Barry Scott can't mention on the air that the song "Little Willie" by The Sweet is about an erection. That is a CBS directive IIRC.

I never knew that!!! And I've been listening to the song for 37 years. I guess I never paid close attention... I imagine Sweet's song "Yesterday's Rain" with "up to my [scrotum] inside her woudn't make the cut.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom