• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ Shakeup Puts Chuck Todd in Jeopardy

Management changes coming to NBC's Meet The Press.

John Reiss, who had been EP for the last eight years, was officially punted over to the NBC News Now streaming service, and David P. Gelles, a long-time CNN producer who helped develop the now-defunct CNN+ streamer, was parachuted in to help fix the sinking show, which is down 21 percent in total viewership and 24 percent in the key advertising demographic compared to last year—more than any of the other Sunday politics shows.

Gelles’ first order of business, multiple sources said, is deciding what to do about Chuck Todd, who despite recently signing a two-year extension, as Confider has learned, has baffled many at NBC with how long he’s remained atop the struggling show.

NBC White House correspondent Kristen Welker is being groomed to replace Todd, multiple insiders with knowledge of the matter said, and is expected to take on more hosting duties as the midterm elections approach.

I don't see Welker as the answer. Though it doesn't affect me much as I don't view the Sunday Talk circuit anymore.
But I'm no fan of Todd. Who I think could make a transition to Fox or CNN easily. I don't think MSNBC-types dig him. Just as they didn't when MSNBC was trying to present Gretta van Susteren as a great addition (lasted about 3 months).
As an aside I never really liked Russert either. His attitude was he was kind of the matrade to all of Washington. The format has kind of become irrelevant. It probably is difficult to find the right kind of host but it shouldn't be.

How about experienced journalists then, as opposed to the party hacks that normally infest these types of shows.

The problem is that the "experienced journalists" are already guests during the week. The Phil Ruckers of the world. The uniqueness of what this is has been ruined by the 24/7 news cycle. These shows were more interesting when the format only happened once a week. Now that you can see this kind of thing every day, it's less compelling. Chuck Todd suffered from over exposure in the same way that Joe Buck became too familiar.

The problem is that the "experienced journalists" are already guests during the week. The Phil Ruckers of the world. The uniqueness of what this is has been ruined by the 24/7 news cycle. These shows were more interesting when the format only happened once a week. Now that you can see this kind of thing every day, it's less compelling. Chuck Todd suffered from over exposure in the same way that Joe Buck became too familiar.
That's the best analyses I have seen. Everyone else looks at the anchors or style without looking at a changing news cycle.

Maybe NBC should return the show to its original format, with a host and three (four?) respected journalists questioning a guest.

I'm not sure there is such a thing at this point.

Of course there is but Trump installed the 'firehose of falsehoods' propaganda model that includes relentlessly and repetitively attacking factual journalism as 'fake news.' Since then, the entire rightwing has used that lie to smear respected journalists and organizations.

By the way, Chuck Todd is disliked as much by liberals as conservatives. Many progressives view him as giving a free pass to conservative guests through weak questioning and a lack of challenging follow-ups. Others view it as an effort on Todd's part to be a balanced journalist, but if that's true then it's a tactic that clearly no longer draws ratings from an American news audience.

I've never watched the show. To me, Tim Russert always looked like a doppelganger for comedian Randy Quaid (of Vacation movie fame) and Chuck Todd simply looked like smacked a$$ and I never cared to hear what he thought or had to say.

The one guy in the NBC stable who shows up when it's time to get serious about politics, to analyze the winners and losers and make serious predictions is Steve Kornacki. I've really, REALLY enjoyed watching him during the past few major elections. Watching him break down and analyze the whole thing was truly a delight, his passion is contagious and from what I've read, the guy rarely sleeps for at least a few days after the polls close, because he's just so into it, in a deeply analytical, geeky way. //swoon//

The one guy in the NBC stable who shows up when it's time to get serious about politics, to analyze the winners and losers and make serious predictions is Steve Kornacki.

He's good at what he does, and he's passionate about it. But I've seen him fill in for Brian Williams and he's not good at interviews.

He's good at what he does, and he's passionate about it. But I've seen him fill in for Brian Williams and he's not good at interviews.
I can't see Steve Kornacki doing news or interviews or filling in for Brian Williams. If you look on the internet, 90% or more of the videos show him doing what he does and knows best - Standing in front of a political map, crunching numbers and doing analytics.

Maybe Meet The Press Daily on MSNBC and Meet The Press Now on NBC News Now has diluted the title/franchise, as it is no longer a once a week show people may have looked forward to seeing

Maybe Meet The Press Daily on MSNBC and Meet The Press Now on NBC News Now has diluted the title/franchise, as it is no longer a once a week show people may have looked forward to seeing
I doubt the people watching the Sunday flagship watch the daily shows.

"Meet The Press" began as a radio show in 1945 on Mutual, sponsored and owned by the publishers of American Mercury magazine, coming to TV on November 20th, 1947 on NBC (as Mutual did not have, nor would launch, a television network).

Some years later (early 1950's?), NBC took over ownership of the program and the radio version (by then the soundtrack of the TV version) moved to NBC.

After three years in various prime time slots, the TV version moved to Sundays at 6 P.M. ET in 1950, then to Sunday mornings in 1965.

In a little less than three months, "Meet The Press" will observe it's 75th anniversary on television. Given that the anniversary will be less than two weeks after the midterm elections, I could see any changes get held off until after the anniversary.

But besides a new moderator (as has been rumored), could NBC actually drop "Meet The Press" after the anniversary and replace it with an hour-long Sunday morning political news/analysis/discussion show with an entirely different format?

It would be a major break with the past, but if a radical change is made to the format, maybe it would be time to start anew.

After three years in various prime time slots, the TV version moved to Sundays at 6 P.M. ET in 1950, then to Sunday mornings in 1965.
It seems like the late 1940s were a different time. I cannot imagine a political talk show being on an over-the-air network's prime-time Sunday schedule today.

I do find it interesting that the OTA networks' political talk shows are scheduled at a time when a lot of people go to church.

Back
Top Bottom