• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBA Games

I bet when the rest of the NBA playoffs get a record low rating both TNT and ESPN tell the NBA to stop these refusal to play due to the protests or cancel their TV deals then the NBA will gets their act together and control their players and just focus on playing basketball.

I bet when the rest of the NBA playoffs get a record low rating both TNT and ESPN tell the NBA to stop these refusal to play due to the protests or cancel their TV deals then the NBA will gets their act together and control their players and just focus on playing basketball.

If the protests make you uncomfortable, then they have succeeded. You can either think about the issue they spotlight, ignore them altogether and just watch the games when they return, or threaten never to watch professional basketball (or baseball, or soccer, or tennis, or even hockey, all of which have had their schedules affected this week) and call for the owners to "control" their players. You are taking the third approach, which is your right, and I compliment you for your restraint. Way too many keyboard warriors are including some really vile stuff in their reactions.

ESPN and TNT won't cancel their TV deals over what has turned out to be a one-game protest. So forget about NWA Powerr, AEW or some other start-up wrestling promotion jumping in to fill some gaping schedule gap.

Gets their act together? Are you paying attention? Colin Kaepernick was made into a pariah a few years ago. No team would employ him. Now, Roger Goodell has apologized and said he was right to peacefully protest.

The NBA owners know which way the winds are blowing. They are not going to silence or "control" their brand ambassadors. Social Injustice is a real issue. You can simply not watch games if it bothers you...

Last edited:
Professional athletes are powerful voices, you might not like it but they have a big stage to say what they want. Just as the president has a big stage to say what he wants.

You can bet all you like, but that's not remotely what the dynamics are.

Even hockey was shut down for a couple days.

There are a relative few Black or mixed-race hockey players in the NHL and perhaps many more in the Juniors and Minors.

If the white players put pressure on their owners to boycott a couple of games in protest then good on them because, ultimately, it is the right thing to do. Doesn't matter if it is professional sports or truck drivers. The message has been received. Whether it makes any substantial difference is a wait-and-see proposition. But if it was done by the hockey club owners (or their business associates) just to prevent a "fall over" of partnership then not only will it probably have no permanent result but it could backfire and become nothing more than a business issue.

One thing occurs to me. We have over 350 million people in the USA presently. There have been but a dozen or so significant incidents involving local police. Blacks are not being targeted by the American population at large but virtually every Black 'victim' has had some sort of issue with their interaction with the police - usually not following directions. As several Black leaders have already suggested the 'victims' need to calm down and follow directions then most of this violence could have been avoided. The majority of the 'victims' also tend to have rap sheets which would naturally give the police a natural hesitation in dealing with them no matter what the severity of the intended offense. I have been driving for 60 years and have been pulled over perhaps 9-10 times where the cop wanted to see my registration and insurance cards then sent me on my way with no explanation given. I did not get huffy and demand he had no right nor did I cuss him out for stopping me without cause. My car could have been the same model and color as a recent bank robbery, I don't know. I didn't argue and didn't make it tough on him - and no cop has had cause to shoot me. If you are indeed innocent then it makes no sense to put the situation at risk.

By no means am I suggesting that excessive enforcement is warranted but to be fair you need to look at both sides of these events. After all, the officer doesn't necessarily know who is in the car or what might be waiting for him when he walks up and asks for identification. There are thousands of cops who died because they walked into a trap. We had two in my state just this week. The drivers had been pulled over for suspected drunk driving. Nobody had to die.

Landtuna -- I don't know if you are White Or Black, but it makes a difference. Many of these incidents are visible now because of smartphones. How many went unseen over the years? Jacob Blake was shot 7 times in the back. It hasn't even been confirmed that he had a knife. If he did, wouldn't one non lethal shot been enough to subdue him?

People of colour may have a totally different experience. It all depends on your point of view. Police are not empowered to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner. They have a tough job, but they chose the profession. They don't get a free pass to just blast away without consequences...

If the white players put pressure on their owners to boycott a couple of games in protest then good on them because, ultimately, it is the right thing to do. Doesn't matter if it is professional sports or truck drivers. The message has been received. Whether it makes any substantial difference is a wait-and-see proposition. But if it was done by the hockey club owners (or their business associates) just to prevent a "fall over" of partnership then not only will it probably have no permanent result but it could backfire and become nothing more than a business issue.
Actually, it was a mix of black and white players uniting to force a delay.

One thing occurs to me. We have over 350 million people in the USA presently..

You are off and high by over 20,000,000 people... more than the New York CIty MSA.

https://www.census.gov/popclock/ shows, right now, just under 330,199,000 persons in the US. That site updates constantly.

Landtuna -- I don't know if you are White Or Black, but it makes a difference. Many of these incidents are visible now because of smartphones. How many went unseen over the years? Jacob Blake was shot 7 times in the back. It hasn't even been confirmed that he had a knife. If he did, wouldn't one non lethal shot been enough to subdue him?

People of colour may have a totally different experience. It all depends on your point of view. Police are not empowered to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner. They have a tough job, but they chose the profession. They don't get a free pass to just blast away without consequences...

You are not entirely correct.

SOME of these incidents have been recorded only PARTIALLY. All most none of them in their entirety - and that can make a giant difference.

Based upon the video I saw there was no justification for shooting anyone in Jacob's position 7 times in the back BUT the police had already attempted to stop him using non-lethal means. Police are almost universally taught not to stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. I think in this case 7 is too many, especially at this range, BUT I am a civilian without police training and cannot tell from the video whether Jacob was still a threat.

I am certain that all the critics of the incident spoke up way too early, as they usually do. We should wait until there is a complete analysis before we burn down our towns. We are doing nothing but penalizing our own businesses and providing excuses for looters and other criminals to destroy our communities.

It has been confirmed multiple times in the media and by the Chief of Police that Jacob admitted having a knife in his possession. It was found on the floorboard of his SUV after the shooting. Did he have it before that? I don't know but it would certainly have put some fear into those cops.

One other thing. The police had been called to the address because Jacob was in violation of a court order. One that was filed because he had been convicted of sexual assault. So you are a cop walking into the most treacherous of calls with a known felon. How careful are you going to be that the perp doesn't hurt you, your partner or one of the innocent people standing on the sidewalk?

You are off and high by over 20,000,000 people... more than the New York CIty MSA.

https://www.census.gov/popclock/ shows, right now, just under 330,199,000 persons in the US. That site updates constantly.

Our gubment has consistently said there are in the neighborhood of 12,000,000 uncounted (illegal?) people in the USA. Add 330 and 12 million and what do you arrive at? Pretty. Damn. Close.

You don't see the WWE, UFC and Boxing doing any walkouts.

Well, first of all, WWE is a show, not a sport. Also, both WWE and UFC are run in autocratic fashion by political right-wingers, Vince McMahon and Dana White. The talent wouldn't dare walk out. Boxing is an interesting situation. ESPN+ has two "bubble" cards scheduled for Saturday, one in Europe, the other here in the US. No word yet on a possible refusal to participate at either. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Our gubment has consistently said there are in the neighborhood of 12,000,000 uncounted (illegal?) people in the USA. Add 330 and 12 million and what do you arrive at? Pretty. Damn. Close.

The government's Bureau of the Census does not say how many illegal aliens there are. This is purely a function of non-official sources, such as Pew. The Census does not ask "are you here legally?'".

Remember, that until the 1920's all immigration was legal with the exception of "Chinese" who were impeded by the very, obscenely, racist legislation prohibiting them dating back to the 1880's. So our census system was never adjusted when it became obvious that some immigrants had entered without authorization.

In theory, the Census counts all persons in the country, legal or not. In fact, the non-English language Census material points this out: "you are not asked your legal status in the USA".

The consensus of demographers is that non-legal residents are counted. The independent demographic sources confirm this; they use data like housing, vehicle registrations, occupied dwelling units, school enrollment, and lots more to estimate population and are generally more accurate than the Census that uses a technology that has been superseded and abandoned in every other area.

However, the law requires a full Census, so we get a centuries old system.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom