• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nationwide Emergency Alert Test Planned For October 4 - Radio, TV and Cell Phones

This morning on NPR I heard an Amish man was already being chastised by his elders for some other sin when his cell phone went off. It seems some Amish have sneaked cell phones into their community.

Or was this another joke from Wait Wait???
i do remember a WLW promo some time ago which ended with "unless you're Amish". (I don't remember the context). An Amish man called the talk show to complain, and explained the radio could be on in his presence as long as he didn't turn it on, and he could use the phone as long as he didn't dial it

Uh no.. where have you been? not a joke.

You musnt understand anything about amish.

some stricter amish cant have phones... at all

Yes and yes. I heard Wait Wait less than an hour ago. That was one of the choices in their "Guess which panelist is telling the truth" segment. Turns out it was the true story, and they played a short actuality to prove it happened. He had a cell phone in his pocket, verboten in their culture, and he got busted when the coordinated EAS test went off while he was being dressed down for some other offense.

Uh no.. where have you been? not a joke.

You musnt understand anything about amish.

some stricter amish cant have phones... at all
I'm very interested in the Amish and I know some are more strict than others. As it turned out it was true, but it still turned up on Wait Wait, so a lot of people including me thought it might have been a joke.

Back
Top Bottom