• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nathan Graham out at WTDY... changes coming?

To expand on that: I suppose it's conceivable that they want to try to lock up a fat chunk of advertiser-desirable listeners by having Rock-leaning hits (late '70s through early '90s) on Big 98.1, Pop-leaning Soft-ish & Mainstream AC ('80s through the '20s) on B101, and Hot-ish AC from the '90s, '00s, and '10s (and some currents) on WTDY. Since B101 would be leaving them alone, perhaps there's a chance Hot AC could finally work. I feel like the trick might be keeping the Hot AC really upbeat. No Evanescence!

Last edited:
This is a bit pedantic. We know the intent from context, and sometimes habits die hard.
It didn't hit that way for me. It looked to me like one person just letting another person know that the company he mentioned is no longer around.

I thought better of it, but the response I was considering was just an all-caps "GREATER MEDIA?!" lol

In just about every case you mention here (and bringing up Star 104.5 in 2023 deserves after-school detention, BTW 😁), B101 made adjustments to put the kibosh on those attempts. B101 would stay just as soft and old (and unlistenable, but that's just my opinion--LOL) as they currently are and leave the Hot AC lane to their sister. Now that Audacy owns B101, Hot AC on a sister station is just about the only way I can see the format surviving in this market.
All of this is fair. There are many factors, not the least of which is time. Star had a nice little run for a while; they weren’t exactly Mix 95.7 or the about 3 minutes The Point tried moving that way before being sacked for Wild. Or Wired. Or whatever.

And in fairness, adult hits was a flavor of the moment (albeit one with staying power) when Ben kicked the Mix. They jumped on that much like Jammin Gold, trying to keep the “next big thing” away from a competitor.

I’m not advocating for the format, but just thinking the history is a bit more nuanced than it’s sometimes portrayed.

Just what if 96.5 went Spanish to take on Rumba with more of a tropical format it wouldn’t really interfere with the other stations in the cluster I know it’s about a 5% chance that happens

All of this is fair. There are many factors, not the least of which is time. Star had a nice little run for a while; they weren’t exactly Mix 95.7 or the about 3 minutes The Point tried moving that way before being sacked for Wild. Or Wired. Or whatever.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Point moving that way for that minute.

No way they'll put KYW on 96.5 FM. If they wanted that they would've done that instead of writing a check to Urban One for 103.9 FM.

That being said, if they do put KYW on 96.5 FM, where does that leave 103.9 FM? It's an inferior signal than most of the other Philly market stations. Would Audacy sell the station? {If so to who?)
103.9 always felt to me like the perfect place for one of those Christian Pop stations to flounder in obscurity.

There going to keep the same CHR format because it's cheap to run. Alt and country didn't work in NYC it won't work in Philly. They can keep the CHR format all the jocks except for mornings are piped in from other cities . I said in Chicago forum that Audacy will probably sell some of their sports stations because sure the ratings may be ok and it may bill well but a sports station has significant overhead costs and unless it's at the top of the ratings it's going to end up averaging the CHR in the end because of all the extra sales and jocks you need to run a local sports station. Audacy also needs instant cash which a sports station oils get if they sell it

There going to keep the same CHR format because it's cheap to run. Alt and country didn't work in NYC it won't work in Philly. They can keep the CHR format all the jocks except for mornings are piped in from other cities . I said in Chicago forum that Audacy will probably sell some of their sports stations because sure the ratings may be ok and it may bill well but a sports station has significant overhead costs and unless it's at the top of the ratings it's going to end up averaging the CHR in the end because of all the extra sales and jocks you need to run a local sports station. Audacy also needs instant cash which a sports station oils get if they sell it
WXTU and it’s decades-long run would like a word about country working here.

And is the proposition that WIP has +/- the same bottom line as WTDY? Really?

I don't see Audacy bringing Hot AC to Philly on 96.5, since they are axing that format on 99.7 (FM 100) in Memphis upon the closing of 94.1 to EMF, in which case the country (The Wolf) will go to 99.7. Additionally, I think in Buffalo that Audacy won't move the Hot AC format to another station; therefore Audacy will be down to 2 Hot AC's.

I don't see Audacy bringing Hot AC to Philly on 96.5, since they are axing that format on 99.7 (FM 100) in Memphis upon the closing of 94.1 to EMF, in which case the country (The Wolf) will go to 99.7. Additionally, I think in Buffalo that Audacy won't move the Hot AC format to another station; therefore Audacy will be down to 2 Hot AC's.
Totally irrelevant.

Philadelphia Business Journal is reporting “a source also confirmed that TDY morning show co-host Raven Brinson was laid off on Tuesday. Her co-host Bennett will host the show solo.”

Philadelphia Business Jourmal is also reporting “While some trade publications said there has been talk of a format change at TDY, a source said that is not happening”

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom