• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mystery Station on 1010

This morning (12-20-05) around 9:30, I heard a country station on 1010 playing a Johnny Cash song. The station weakened quite a bit as this song was playing, and by the end of the song, the station was barely audible. But I did hear them say what sounded like "Wheels Country" followed by what could have been an FM station. Suggesting that this could have been an AM/FM simulcast.

Any ideas on this one?<P ID="signature">______________
Lawppy.. Southern Michigan FM DX Freak
727 stations and counting
http://michradio.blogspot.com</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Lawppy on 12/20/05 05:23 PM.</FONT></P>

> This morning (12-20-05) around 9:30, I heard a country
> station on 1010 playing a Johnny Cash song. The station
> weakened quite a bit as this song was playing, and by the
> end of the song, the station was barely audible. But I did
> hear them say what sounded like "Wheels Country" followed by
> what could have been an FM station. Suggesting that this
> could have been an AM/FM simulcast.
>
> Any ideas on this one?

1010 in Gallatin, TN is "Real Country." I can see how that might be confused.

It's 5kw, so it's not an unlikely match.

DE

> > This morning (12-20-05) around 9:30, I heard a country
> > station on 1010 playing a Johnny Cash song. The station
> > weakened quite a bit as this song was playing, and by the
> > end of the song, the station was barely audible. But I did
>
> > hear them say what sounded like "Wheels Country" followed
> by
> > what could have been an FM station. Suggesting that this
> > could have been an AM/FM simulcast.
> >
> > Any ideas on this one?
>
> 1010 in Gallatin, TN is "Real Country." I can see how that
> might be confused.
>
> It's 5kw, so it's not an unlikely match.
>
> DE
>

There are two stations within 1000 miles of Hillsdale (you never gave a location so I had to guess from your blog) that are country and on 1010 according to radio-locator.

I would agree with DE it's more likely 5kw WHIN from Tennessee (with the slogan "real country" which is ABC radio Sat fed)

The other is a 250 watt flea power signal just inside West Virginia and is a am/fm combo but use different slogans (calling themselves "down home country")

Unless one of the 1010 flipped (the closest one to you apparently hasn't)
My guess is like DE..Tennessee...

BTW, Here is the list of all the 1010 stations within 1000 miles:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/lo...at=&dx=3&radius=1000&freq=1010&sort=freq&sid=

RFLA

> This morning (12-20-05) around 9:30, I heard a country> station on 1010 playing a Johnny Cash song. The station> weakened quite a bit as this song was playing, and by the> end of the song, the station was barely audible. But I did> hear them say what sounded like "Wheels Country" followed by> what could have been an FM station. Suggesting that this> could have been an AM/FM simulcast.> > Any ideas on this one?> ______________________________________________The Cuban stations have been blasting in, of course, but a few Canadian stations have also been coming in clearly, at least around SEPA last Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. CFRB 1010 was knocking out WINS with a heavy signal.

Unless one of the 1010 flipped (the closest one to you
apparently hasn't)
My guess is like DE..Tennessee...

I agree...WHIN is a well-maintained facility, so their 5kw signal
actually IS 5kw...covering all of Middle Tennessee and southern KY.
<P ID="signature">______________
but wait...there's more!</P>

> There are two stations within 1000 miles of Hillsdale (you
> never gave a location so I had to guess from your blog) that
> are country and on 1010 according to radio-locator.
>
> I would agree with DE it's more likely 5kw WHIN from
> Tennessee (with the slogan "real country" which is ABC radio
> Sat fed)
>
> The other is a 250 watt flea power signal just inside West
> Virginia and is a am/fm combo but use different slogans
> (calling themselves "down home country")
>
> Unless one of the 1010 flipped (the closest one to you
> apparently hasn't)
> My guess is like DE..Tennessee...
>

Hmmm.. Wow.. I did forget to put my location in there. You weren't too far off by guessing Hillsdale, by the way. I live about 20 miles west of Hillsdale in Coldwater, Michigan.

As for the 1010, i'll try to get them later. I can't put them in my logbook until i'm convinced that it was indeed them. But for the record, I did hear 1060 WLNO New Orleans last night around 6:00 with a Baton Rouge church service.<P ID="signature">______________
Lawppy.. Southern Michigan FM DX Freak
727 stations and counting
http://michradio.blogspot.com</P>

> Hmmm.. Wow.. I did forget to put my location in there. You
> weren't too far off by guessing Hillsdale, by the way. I
> live about 20 miles west of Hillsdale in Coldwater,
> Michigan.
>
> As for the 1010, i'll try to get them later. I can't put
> them in my logbook until i'm convinced that it was indeed
> them. But for the record, I did hear 1060 WLNO New Orleans
> last night around 6:00 with a Baton Rouge church service.
>

Your friend would be radio-locator.... typing in your location would give all the local stations.. but you can set it for all stations that could possibly put a signal into your local area and is pretty much accurate. At the bottom, you can do a distance in miles and frequency..That's all I did to get the answer. (Only problem for you is, it's weak for Canada outside of Ontario.

Good catch on the WLNO in Katrina land. I'm actually about 50 miles west of that station (but south of Baton Rouge). It's a 50kw day, 5kw night station and was formally the legendary WNOE that you hear classic radio fans talk about (as it was a legendary rock station,before flipping to country music in the 1980s)

RFLA

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom