• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My thoughts on 97.1 The Eagle

We should hold a funeral for one of the greatest Rock stations ever. Been a fan since the first time I rolled through Dallas on my way to Texarkana from SFO. First jock I heard was Dangerous Darren. Still dig that guy!

Around the country, heritage rock stations have had to reinvent themselves in order to stay alive. The reality is the music isn't enough anymore. Rock music once united people. It doesn't anymore. Everyone has their own definition of rock music. People want to build their own playlists and listen to their personal favorites. There are platforms where they can do that. The future for radio is in creating unique content that attracts a mass audience. That's the direction taken by 97.1.

We should hold a funeral for one of the greatest Rock stations ever. Been a fan since the first time I rolled through Dallas on my way to Texarkana from SFO. First jock I heard was Dangerous Darren. Still dig that guy!

The funeral should have been years ago when the record labels stopped caring about rock. Their latest gift is new music from Nickelback. That's all you need to know.

How about the new song "Hey You" by Disturbed? I heard it on The Eagle at least twice, and I think that's a great song.
That is a great tune! The Active Rock product has improved over the past couple of years, but the labels have long since stopped promoting Active Rock; as a lifetime rocker, that is unfortunate (but also reality).

The Active Rock product has improved over the past couple of years, but the labels have long since stopped promoting Active Rock; as a lifetime rocker, that is unfortunate (but also reality).

You bring up a great point, and some may not know what it means when labels stop promoting their music. First of all, it means the songs being sent to radio may not be the best for that platform. Typically, when promo teams are active, they will pick singles for radio that they feel have the best chance of getting airplay. If that's not a priority, then the best songs may not be selected. The second point is that there's no one taking the side for more new music getting played. Somebody has to represent new music. If it's not the record label, then who takes that side? Not the artist. Not the listener. Not the advertisers. Third point is if the label doesn't prioritize how and where the artists are spending their time, then who does that leave? The agents and managers. So instead of artists using radio to market and promote their music, the artists instead do things that either are fun personally or make them money.

Promoting music is the label's job. When they don't do it, no one fills the void, and it doesn't get done. So you end up with radio stations that only play a handful of new songs, and the rest of the time, play familiar favorites from back when labels did their job. What you hear on rock radio today is what happens when there'd no one promoting new music. This is why active rock is a vulnerable format on the radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom