• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My initial HD observations

I got an hd tuner for my phone a couple months ago, and here's what I think so far,
Signal range, nothing impressive on the analog, however one problem I have is that the analog stereo does not reach as far. The transmittors for my market are about 25 miles from where I live, and all but one is in hd. All those come in fine in stereo, but then there are 3 fm stations about 60 miles to the northwest that I can get in stereo on most other radios, but not on this radio. There is one huge Canadian signal I can recieve, and I have not tried that one sitting here at my computer. On other radios, that station comes in clear as a local even on the lowest quality radio I use on a regular basis. I have already taken it on a couple road trips, and something puzzles me about it, although someone mentioned birdies being caused by the radio. I do not notice anything here at home, but I notice on the road that this happens. When I was at my grandparents' house last week, the radio kept stopping on 101.7 with dead air. It did this to me on a road trip we took earlier this summer in the Spokane area as well. We were probably 20 miles out of town, and the radio kept stopping on the following frequencies all with dead air, 91.7, 101.7, 103.1, 105.9, and 107.3. When I stayed back there for a month, I had similar problems, but I don't think I noticed the one on 91.7, and was able to actually recieve the station on 103.1. I do not have this problem at home, which is a little odd. In Spokane, there is a 105.7, and I still had problems with the radio stopping on 105.9. There was a station on 106.1 as well, but it was about 55 miles from me. It had problems with 101.7, even though there was a signal on 101.9, though that signal was weak. Here, I don't quite get why I don't have problems with 101.7 as 101.5 is not in HD.
HD itself, I'm not that impressed. To me, hd sounds like it's underwater. Imagine a low bitrate mp3 say 48 kbps stereo. Notice that some of the highs are missing from that file. Put those back in but leave the underwater sound quality there and you have what HD sounds like. HD seems to be pretty stable, when it's in it's in, and when it's out it's out. That's pretty nice, when I'm walking around the house I don't have to worry about the signal going to mono for a few seconds then back to stereo. Not reliable enough in the car though. Sometimes, when the radio doesn't want to stop on one particularly bad signal around here, I can make it stop there and then it actually latches onto HD. I haven't had it drop hd much and have never had it revert back to analog, so I'd say it works pretty well, with the exception of 2 HD2 channels, and one of them probably has to do with the distance, as that station is the only one of the stations I mentioned earlier that are 60 miles from me that broadcasts in hd. The other one is a non-com HD jazz channel that I'm not sure what's up with it, but can't get a reliable signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom