• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MW-1 remote help

Does anyone have a diagram listing the remote control connections for an MW-1? I know it's a screw terminal strip in the bottom of the cabinet. I had a client go off the reservation and buy one as a back up. Or won it in a poker game or something.

First thing I asked him is "where's the book"? He gave that deer in the headlights look and said he didn't get one. So I said, "then I won't be able to work on it when it breaks". But I figured I could at least get it hooked up to the Sine.

Thanks in advance.

Bengalsfan said:
"then I won't be able to work on it when it breaks".
If you can make it work WITH a book, you're not an engineer, you're a magician.

I like the MW-1. Simple, you can see all the parts, with a couple of hot-rod and voltage spike updates they are a very reliable and efficient device. And indeed, the manuals are downloadable from Harris. Don't want yours? I'll give it a good home!

I had one at an AM daytimer and it rocked. The only thing is you have to take particular care when rebuilding the modules. Matching those transistors is well worth the extra time (as is avoiding having the the neon indicators light anything but a hint of a glow).

Bill DeFelice said:
Matching those transistors is well worth the extra time (as is avoiding having the the neon indicators light anything but a hint of a glow).

I'd rather put that extra time into something that's not 30+ years old and NOT the first generation of anything. And NOT Harris.

My take on the MW-1 after fiddling with a couple of examples is, it worked fairly well as long as it saw 50 j0 +- about .5 ohm and +- NO reactance. They got a bad rep cos many of them went into Class IV stations where the load was often anything but 50 j0. It's interesting to note, their next effort at a transistor radio also had its moments, but it would match and couple power into anything even vaguely metallic.

I guess I got the one MW1 that was trouble free.But you are dead on about the jo.That Will Bone was a
good salesman! Everything in the shack was Harris, but he couldn't talk me into a Harris console.Went with the Rockwell.

Will sold a hell of a lot of Harris gear. Will, like me, wore white socks for decades to keep athlete's foot at bay. And used them to his advantage. He'd go into a little station around and make his pitch for whatever they needed, three piece suit and all. And just about when the owner began to think he might be getting slicked, Will would cross his legs and show the white socks above the shine, and the owner would think "Hay he's one of us" and sign the order. Every time I'd see hm at an NAB show, he'd grin and pull up a pant leg. I'd do the same. I've had very little of his gear over the years, but I've great respect for him as a seller and a nice guy.

Agree all the way. I really wanted a Power Rock,but he cut me some slack(I think) on a package deal.You couldn't help but like the fellow.We had the Harris MSP100 processor,awesome sounding with that broadband unipole.Will was smooth!

I Happened to have one with me tonight, so here ya go....
1 LOW POWER LIGHT
2 HI POWER LIGHT
3 REMOTE OFF
4 REMOTE LOW
5 REMOTE HIGH
6 COMMON
7 CARRIER/AUDIO OFF STATUS
8 VSWR FAULT
9 VOLTAGE FAULT
10 DC FAULT
11 FAULT RESET
12 POWER ADJ COMMON
13 POWER ADJ RAISE
14 POWER ADJ LOWER
15 VOLTAGE SAMPLE
16 VOLTAGE SAMPLE SHIELD
17 CURRENT SAMPLE
18 CURRENT SAMPLE SHIELD
19/20 AUDIIO INPUT
21 AUDIO INPUT SHIELD
22 MOD MONITOR
23 MOD MONITOR SHIELD
24 SELF DESTRUCT

listner1 said:
I Happened to have one with me tonight, so here ya go....
1 LOW POWER LIGHT
2 HI POWER LIGHT
3 REMOTE OFF
4 REMOTE LOW
5 REMOTE HIGH
6 COMMON
7 CARRIER/AUDIO OFF STATUS
8 VSWR FAULT
9 VOLTAGE FAULT
10 DC FAULT
11 FAULT RESET
12 POWER ADJ COMMON
13 POWER ADJ RAISE
14 POWER ADJ LOWER
15 VOLTAGE SAMPLE
16 VOLTAGE SAMPLE SHIELD
17 CURRENT SAMPLE
18 CURRENT SAMPLE SHIELD
19/20 AUDIIO INPUT
21 AUDIO INPUT SHIELD
22 MOD MONITOR
23 MOD MONITOR SHIELD
24 SELF DESTRUCT

24 must have been an option... never worked on the MW1 I have in service... ;D

RFB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom