• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Muzak

Major retailers aren't giving up on '70s music. J.C. Penney's latest radio commercial features Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love" from 1973. And Walmart has a radio ad featuring Gary Numan's "Cars" from 1979 (although that's an honorary '80s song because it didn't reach its Billboard chart peak until 1980).

All of which is different from music played in stores et al.

All of which is different from music played in stores et al.

Yep. The main reason for buying the rights to a song are a strong, simple hook and lyrics that adapt to product promotion.

Older songs have an advantage of often being owned by a company or heirs of the writer / composer, so they are seen as "trade goods" useful only if they make money.

There are a few exceptions and I suspect the most recent case of Anoro buying the rights to the Fleetwood Mac song was one of the value of a very big tune that perfectly fit the design of the ad campaign for that COPD inhaler.

As you say, ads using 70's songs are looking for a tidbit of music, and are not intended to entertain but to motivate sales.

That being said I was a little surprised to hear "Promises Promises" by Dionne Warwick in Kroger a few weeks ago about 10am. I would imagine their research determines baby boomers are more likely to shop then. I was a captive FM1 listener at a workplace several years ago. I'm still puzzled by the use of non-hits as part of the mix.

You do realize that these "muzak" type services are random satellite programming and the songs can play at anytime, anyday. We have this service in our store, where I work. I've heard the same song at 8am, noon, 4pm or 10pm, Monday thru Sunday. Those services are played on a shuffle format with an exception that no two songs by the same artist are played in succession or within a specific time of each other. And besides most stores have their volumes set low as not to be a distraction. Most customers could care less what's playing above them, they want to shop, pay and leave in a timely manner.

Non-hits, btw, should be mostly eliminated, but keep the Dionne song, a good one at that.

This is an interesting thread. I've always wondered where a lot of these retail stores, restaurants and other businesses have gotten the music they play on their speakers when they're not playing an AM/FM station or SiriusXM. Last summer, when I went on vacation to South Dakota on a tour bus, we stopped at Al's Oasis in Oacoma for lunch at one point. On the wall near the doorway leading from the dining area to the bar, I noticed what looked like a volume knob or some other control with the word "Muzak" printed above it. I had known what Muzak was, but didn't specifically know too much about it. When I looked it up online, along with the modern-day Mood Media, I was pretty surprised at how diverse their music selection is. Here's a link that gives you an idea of all of what they have to offer. When you click on a genre, you'll see how many stations are available for each genre.
https://us.moodmedia.com/sound/music-samples/

For whatever station, the "Featured Station of the Month" on that site, '70s Hits, has been unchanged ever since I first looked this up last summer.

"We've Only Just Begun" - awesome! No one plays that anymore, even the "greatest hits" stations. But it was all over AC in the 1980s.

I found out something interesting - Muzak can be heard on the AMC-1 Ku Band satellite at 103.0W - I think it's all digital MPEG2. There are many regular Muzak channels but there are several that are for different stores, like Stater Brothers, McDonalds, Chase, Curves and Petsmart. Wonder if anyone has a 4DTV or KU Band dish and can pull these in.

-crainbebo

I found a complete list of the Muzak/Mood Media channels available on TVRO. I, too, am curious if anyone has those big dishes anymore since I know they've been kind of phased out by digital services like DirecTV and Dish Network.
http://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3...pVncgzkEkO358mRHGhZjoPukxq_KeL2dJykFlpRpWTVIg

My workplace uses the Mood services, they leave it on Classic Hits. And it seems like EVERY time I am working there - one of two songs plays - Blondie's 'Rapture' or Nick Gilder's 'Hot Child in the City'...
They play a lot of '60s songs as well, none of which get any airplay on 'classic hits' stations anymore.

Still using Classic Hits at the store I work at. Albeit Nick Gilder doesn't get as much airplay as he used to, but it seems like there are 'phases' where I hear a certain song over and over each time I work. Lately it's been the original Shocking Blue version of 'Venus', 'Summer in the City' by Lovin Spoonful, had three workshifts in a row where I was doing evening cleaning to 'Two Hearts' by Teddy Pendergrass and Stephanie Mills, which I've never heard before until I started working, and 'Louie Louie' by The Kingsmen. The same 500-some songs, over and over.
And WHERE are The Beatles? On a Muzak service called 'Classic Hits' I've never heard the classics from The Beatles. Guessing it's royalties?

Pre-Covid they were using the 70s Hits channel. That one played plenty of rarities as well, including three instrumentals - Average White Band 'Pick Up the Pieces', George Benson 'Breezin' and Chuck Mangione 'Feels So Good'.

Pre-Covid they were using the 70s Hits channel. That one played plenty of rarities as well, including three instrumentals - Average White Band 'Pick Up the Pieces', George Benson 'Breezin' and Chuck Mangione 'Feels So Good'.
Those are three good ones. I heard the first one on Good Time Oldies the other day.

And WHERE are The Beatles? On a Muzak service called 'Classic Hits' I've never heard the classics from The Beatles. Guessing it's royalties?

Probably eliminated because of the Sound Exchange lawsuit a couple years ago which also devastated most of their other formats, including Foreground Music One, or phased out because it's considered "too old" for the format's (formerly Jukebox Gold) rolling demographic. Or both.

I, too, am curious if anyone has those big dishes anymore since I know they've been kind of phased out by digital services like DirecTV and Dish Network.

They're still around but they're nowhere near as popular as they were 30 years ago because of the proliferation of DBS pizza-pan cable systems.

Hmm, guessing publishers. Because they play all types of mid to late '60s songs on Classic Hits, heard 'Hot Fun in the Summertime' Sly and the Family Stone yesterday on my 8hr shift. Along with whatever the title is of that song that Cool Whip used for their jingles a long time ago.
Their rotation is tighter than I thought. On Saturday night I cleaned garbages upstairs to the rapping of Blondie's 'Rapture.' I clock in Sunday afternoon for the long shift and what do I hear..."raaaappptuuureee'.
Frankly I'd rather listen to Expressions. The playlist shows a nice mix of smooth jazz and adult contemporary vocals. Obviously not the taste of my manager who loves '70s and '80s music.

While it's not the same company, a grocery store where I shop was playing "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton when I left in the morning. I had to come back later to get refrigerated stuff, although I could have gotten it all at once. I needed a bag earlier to put other stuff in. And "A Thousand Miles" was playing.

I have been told the music comes from "corporate", and calling the 800 number got me the name of a company which I may have posted here. Let me check.

Last several days at work, the Classic Hits song most 'overplayed' has been ELO's 'Don't Bring Me Down,' by far. Four nights of work in a row and I heard that song. Also 'Venus' Shocking Blue is STILL too overplayed. Albeit it was nice to hear a one-hit wonder from The First Class, 'Beach Baby', on Sunday.
Where are the Beatles you say? 'Ticket to Ride' just played 10 minutes ago on MOOD's '60's Pop Hits'. So while The Monkees hits from 1966-67 are often heard on Classic Hits, one of the greatest bands of all time goes unheard.

Last several days at work, the Classic Hits song most 'overplayed' has been ELO's 'Don't Bring Me Down,' by far.
Five years ago, that song seemed to be the most played when my America's Best Music station switched to Good Time Oldies. The station is sounding much better lately but I'm convinced the song I heard last week is called "Medieval Woman".

Five years ago, that song seemed to be the most played when my America's Best Music station switched to Good Time Oldies. The station is sounding much better lately but I'm convinced the song I heard last week is called "Medieval Woman".

You have led a sheltered musical life. That song is "Evil Woman," one of ELO's biggest hits.

The playlist has gotten better on Classic Hits!
Multiple Beatles songs and other rarities heard in the last week and a half. 'We Can Work it Out' just tonight, from 1965. Last work shift I heard 'Twistin' the Night Away' by Sam Cooke - 1962! Plenty of '70s and '80s as well.

You have led a sheltered musical life. That song is "Evil Woman," one of ELO's biggest hits.

Maybe all those medieval women were evil... Merlin and the magicians and all that stuff!

I knew this from being a captive audience of FM1 that people claiming "Muzak has a huge playlist" didn't know the reality. They did have some non-hits they played for years, however.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom