• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musical selections that seem out of character

I don't know why they can't sell more commercial time instead of doing this. America's Best Music even seems to provide all the commercials in a break twice an hour.

But "Dead Man's Curve"? And I know that break was too short. Once the "real" music came back it just sounded so much better.

And about the morning show: yesterday it included the "Mr. Lucky" theme and "Last Date". And after Spongebob Squarepants introduced the DJ before the first song of the last hour, either Michael Buble or Harry Connick.

And Olivia Newton-John has such a sexy voice. Cliff Richard is not Barry Gibb. I realized that once I realized Olivia was not Barbra. I don't know why I thought "Suddenly" was "Guilty". I haven't heard either one in a long time.

Yesterday, right in the middle of "That's All" by Rod Stewart, during an optional commercial break, "Maria Elena" started. I realized what was going on when I heard "Gimme Some Lovin'", something John Gleason would clearly not be playing. That was followed by "Black Is Black". This sort of thing happens if they are getting ready to switch to a sports event. I don't see why they can't just stick with the good music until the time comes, though it would seem weird if John Gleason talked about what was coming up, only it wasn't. And that still may have happened.

As you may have figured out, the music is worse if they go local later in the day.

Yesterday, right in the middle of "That's All" by Rod Stewart, during an optional commercial break, "Maria Elena" started. I realized what was going on when I heard "Gimme Some Lovin'", something John Gleason would clearly not be playing. That was followed by "Black Is Black". This sort of thing happens if they are getting ready to switch to a sports event. I don't see why they can't just stick with the good music until the time comes, though it would seem weird if John Gleason talked about what was coming up, only it wasn't. And that still may have happened.

As you may have figured out, the music is worse if they go local later in the day.

Would that be "Maria Elena" by "Los Indios Tabajaras? I wonder if John Gleason is related to David. :)

Last edited:
Would that be "Maria Elena" by "Los Indios Tabajaras? I wonder if John Gleason is related to David. :)
That's the group.

I don't care for John Gleason. He talks too fast and we're lucky if he says anything at all about the music. He just doesn't have that friendly quality Jeff Rollins and Carl Hampton do. Or even Wayne the Weekend Warrior.

Okay, back on topic.

A local sports team is close to winning a championship. It has not actually won anything.

So there was no reason, especially on this type of station, for "We Are the Champions".

"Here's a quarter; call someone who cares."

And I'm surprised anyone who needed to hear it was around for the interview about rheumatoid arthritis that followed.

"Whiskey River, take my mind."

I know I wasn't, but that's because I had no desire to hear the interview.

The morning show always seems to sound a little different. I don't know if Timeless Favorites played "Still the One" but I did hear a DJ say something about Orleans. However, my station does play the song. Also "Physical", but that's nothing new.

I don't know what possess these people that makes them think they can play "Danger Zone" just because they're about to air a baseball game. They could continue to play "normal" music while they are waiting. The fact is with no more Mike Huckabee I could just turn off this clock radio. But if I turn it off any other way other than permanently it'll just come back on in 10 minutes or 20 or whatever.

"Centerfield" is much better and more appropriate for the occasion. Still not valid for the format.

And now they're doing "Take My Breath away" for the Name That Tune. What is the matter with these people?

Oh, great, they're playing the whole thing.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"? Who IS this person and why can't someone remove him from the building?

Finally, the clock radio turned off on its own.

Last edited:
I don't know what possess these people that makes them think they can play "Danger Zone" just because they're about to air a baseball game. They could continue to play "normal" music while they are waiting. The fact is with no more Mike Huckabee I could just turn off this clock radio. But if I turn it off any other way other than permanently it'll just come back on in 10 minutes or 20 or whatever.

"Centerfield" is much better and more appropriate for the occasion. Still not valid for the format.

And now they're doing "Take My Breath away" for the Name That Tune. What is the matter with these people?

Oh, great, they're playing the whole thing.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"? Who IS this person and why can't someone remove him from the building?

OK, I'll bite. Why can't you turn your clock radio off and back on again?

OK, I'll bite. Why can't you turn your clock radio off and back on again?
This thing requires an MIT degree if you want to change the time or anything. Or if the power goes out, to make it come on regularly again. With Mike Huckabee gone, I only really need it to signal me on Saturday that it's time to clean up. But I like hearing Carl Hampton and GOOD music when it's possible.

Now this is more like it! "Spanish Harlem", "Evergreen", "The Most Beautiful Girl" and "Horse with No Name". Okay, three out of four.

I don't know where Carl Hampton is. You'd think so close to his last day he wouldn't take the day off.

Until this week I hadn't heard "Just an Old Fashioned Love Song" lately but it doesn't seem all that bad now.

"Hang on Sloopy" on the morning show, most of which isn't THAT bad, I guess.

Substitute morning DJ. "Sweet Home Alabama".

Everything else seemed normal, though.

With one exception. Whether I like spiders and snakes or not, it's a funny song that I would enjoy on classic country radio.

And to the man's credit, he did end the show with a request. "Amazing Grace", mostly on bagpipe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom