• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musical genres…becoming irrelevant?

At work was only was meant in “common” conversation, as in what any one of us might consider being at work. I work many days from home; am I at work? At home? That’s all, not the definitions applied to one specific type of measurement.

At work was only was meant in “common” conversation, as in what any one of us might consider being at work. I work many days from home; am I at work? At home? That’s all, not the definitions applied to one specific type of measurement.
Got it now. ;)

In the PPM there are only two categories, home and away. In the remaining diary markets, one marks "Home", "Work", "Vehicle" and "Other". That is where the differentiated percentages come/came from.

Stations doing deep music tests will do statistical evaluations that can be called "fit" and they can see how well a song matches the station core.
I still hear places like Great Clips play music fitting for "at work." Maybe because the Jack station is on a translator, it may not deem it that "type" of station (maybe it considers its audience to be more of an active/classic rock type audience that is okay with harder urban as well), and I know walking past the office part of my company, I hear things like our Hot AC station.

I, too, find that (especially among my generation), genre lines are blurred. Music is more of a "I heard this in x movie and have happy relations with it as a result" than "I dig x genre."

It's sometimes weird to have conversations about music because someone will talk about how much they love Simon & Garfunkel, but they only know one song by them. And know literally no other folk artists of that era. Or other folk artists at all. And they also like Sinatra... so long as it's "Somethin' Stupid" (which many "oldies" stations wouldn't play in spite of it being a #1 record in '67 because it didn't fit the "sound" or whatever).

Interestingly, I think modern listening tastes (for people around my age - 22) are probably somewhat similar to top-40 radio in the mid-60s. Lots of variety. Unpredictable. Fun. And, as several folks here have pointed out, largely "mood" dependent.

And they also like Sinatra... so long as it's "Somethin' Stupid (which many "oldies" stations wouldn't play in spite of it being a #1 record in '67 because it didn't fit the "sound" or whatever).

I don't remember the jock, but there's an aircheck from when that was on the chart. "Frank and Nancy----"Somethin' Stupid". From the album "Somethin' Even Stupider."

I don't remember the jock, but there's an aircheck from when that was on the chart. "Frank and Nancy----"Somethin' Stupid". From the album "Somethin' Even Stupider."
That's beautiful:)

I love that song - there were so many great records from that era that, as a result of leaning a bit MOR, have been lost to time...

A perfect example... big here in the 'Burgh on KQV back in '68. And in some ways, that's what I was getting at - I'll listen to that and then toss on Hendrix. And after that, I might go listen to Nat "King" Cole. I don't think that's atypical for someone in my generation. Difference is, I'm not likely to wash those down with some Taylor Swift:ROFLMAO:

But outside the Jack format (and KCKC), eclecticism is not a thing really, except for small markets. KKJO I can pick up and it goes left field for some picks for a Hot AC out of St. Joe. It seems a lot of stations have a very focused sound.

That's beautiful:)

I love that song - there were so many great records from that era that, as a result of leaning a bit MOR, have been lost to time...

A perfect example... big here in the 'Burgh on KQV back in '68. And in some ways, that's what I was getting at - I'll listen to that and then toss on Hendrix. And after that, I might go listen to Nat "King" Cole. I don't think that's atypical for someone in my generation. Difference is, I'm not likely to wash those down with some Taylor Swift:ROFLMAO:
If it isn't, then your generation is the only one yet that hasn't had its own dominant styles of music, with all the songs being current, not a half century old or more.

If it isn't, then your generation is the only one yet that hasn't had its own dominant styles of music, with all the songs being current, not a half century old or more.
Oh, I'm not saying everyone my age is listening to the exact groups I mentioned. But a surprising number are, alongside more current tunes as well. I think the "age" of a record means less to my generation than prior ones.

I was more using those groups to illustrate a point, and that is that genre is not the defining factor for my peers.

Hence my joke about Taylor Swift. Because the people my age who are listening to Sinatra, etc. are also often listening to Taylor Swift and other folks like that as well. I was just talking with a girl last week who loves Simon & Garfunkel and The Weekend. She also listens to rap. That's what I'm talking about.

But outside the Jack format (and KCKC), eclecticism is not a thing really, except for small markets.

Huh? The basis of the country radio format right now is eclecticism. That's why it succeeds, because it combines rock with pop with folk with traditional C&W with alternative rock. You listen to any daypart, and you'll hear examples of every genre of music.

But just about every format is based on multiple genres of music.

Hence my joke about Taylor Swift. Because the people my age who are listening to Sinatra, etc. are also often listening to Taylor Swift and other folks like that as well. I was just talking with a girl last week who loves Simon & Garfunkel and The Weekend. She also listens to rap. That's what I'm talking about.
The audience and the band on "Name That Tune" seem to like big band music as much as they like anything else, although there are fewer really old songs played on that show.

Oh, I'm not saying everyone my age is listening to the exact groups I mentioned. But a surprising number are, alongside more current tunes as well. I think the "age" of a record means less to my generation than prior ones.

I was more using those groups to illustrate a point, and that is that genre is not the defining factor for my peers.

How did our local band kids celebrate winning a championship? By singing Sweet Caroline. They know a far wider swath of past generations’ music than many of my generation did at a comparable age. (Hell, when I was a teen and pointed out there were two near back-to-back Tommy James remakes atop the charts in the 80s, I was met with blank stares that such a person and such songs existed decades earlier).

Huh? The basis of the country radio format right now is eclecticism. That's why it succeeds, because it combines rock with pop with folk with traditional C&W with alternative rock. You listen to any daypart, and you'll hear examples of every genre of music.

But just about every format is based on multiple genres of music.
Hmm....better listen to more country then. I made my point due to my prior threads about eclecticism, though there still is some to a degree on any radio station.

I made my point due to my prior threads about eclecticism, though there still is some to a degree on any radio station.

I was reminded today about the career of the Bee Gees, a pop trio who had hits that crossed genres from pop to R&B and even to country. After the massive success of Saturday Night Fever, they started writing songs for other artists who were popular in other genres, such as Islands In The Stream for Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton. Or Heartbreaker for Dionne Warwick. This is not a new thing.

But we can also talk about the success of Billie Eilish in alternative radio.

How did our local band kids celebrate winning a championship? By singing Sweet Caroline. They know a far wider swath of past generations’ music than many of my generation did at a comparable age. (Hell, when I was a teen and pointed out there were two near back-to-back Tommy James remakes atop the charts in the 80s, I was met with blank stares that such a person and such songs existed decades earlier).
Exactly!

Okay everyone, here we go!
You're going to have to explain the reference to the few young'uns here, along with elaboration on why that 1966-67 NBC series didn't run more than one season, how imaginative the concept was, and whether any series produced since 1990 is pure crap that can't hold a candle to it.

Boomer answers: Injustice, very, none. ("Injustice" being the answer for EVERY series of the Boomer years.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom