• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music Radio Programming/Consultants

O.K. I am going to rant about something that I'm sure many people have already addressed. It has to do with music radio, its changes, and the fact that much of it is programmed by radio consultants. Those of you 40 and over who listen to country music can remember when country music stations would generally play a combination of old and new artists. To give an example, we had an FM country in St. Louis, WIL-FM that, during the 1980's, would play some current hits (George Jones, Ricky Skaggs, Highway 101, Rosanne Cash, etc.), followed by some re-currents of up to five years old, some 70's stuff (Charlie Rich, Merle Haggard, Davie Allan Coe, and even cross-over's like John Denver and Olivia Newton-John), and once or twice an hour, a classic country song from as far back as the 50's. Then, starting about 1990, country stations began to purge most of these artists from their playlists even though some of them continued to have high-charting hits (Dolly Parton was an example). By the mid-1990's, most of them (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Crystal Gayle, Janie Fricke) had been pushed aside completely in favor of Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Trisha Yearwood, and Shania Twain. Only a few 70's and 80's stars....Tanya Tucker (who continued to have hits through the late 90's), George Strait, and Reba McEntire remained.

Our St. Louis adult contemporary station, KEZK, began to do the same (as did other AC stations across the country) in the early 90's, pushing out Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond who had been top stars in the AC world since the 60's. In the late 2000's, the same thing began to happen to Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, and Celine Dion (Celine was and will always be, in my opinion, the poster child of adult contemporary music) as AC began to start adding more upbeat songs to their playlists to make it sound more like Adult Top 40. Although (unlike country) AC stations continue to play older songs as far back as the 80's, many of these songs were never on the AC charts. (Examples are "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar and "Keep On Loving You" by REO Speedwagon.)

You would not believe the number of people I talk to that complain about this "stamping out" of high-profile music stars from the airwaves. And I have read that it's due to the changes in musical tastes, especially among young listeners, that result in the overhauling of radio stations playlists, but somehow, I just can't believe that. I suspect it has more to do with the CONSULTANTS' changes in musical tastes. (After all, most radio stations playlists are created by consultants, right?) I have never understood the logic behind hiring an out-of-towner to program your music for your....in my case, St. Louis listeners.....when that person has probably never been to St. Louis and doesn't know the first thing about the people of our city. Instead of stations hiring local consultants to survey the population, they hire some big-wig across the country who creates one playlist for numerous stations in various states, as if it were a one-size fits all for radio listeners around the nation. Believe me, regardless of whatever demographic you are targeting, the lifestyles of the people in New York City won't be anything like those in.....let's say.....Tyler, Texas, so I don't see how anyone can say, "Oh, 25-54 year-old women with high incomes is our demographic. We know what songs they all like." Pardon my grammar, but that 'tain't so! Every woman in that age bracket is different, as are all 18-to-34-year-olds who like country music, etc.

If there's anyone 10 years older than me or older (I'm 50) and remembers, the CBS television "rural purge" from the early 1970's, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Television shows at that time, such as Green Acres, had high ratings, yet CBS cancelled them anyway because they decided they wanted to go after a younger, more urbanized audience. What? Since when do you cancel a product that sells well! Why are they doing the same with music radio? It's obvious that the consultants are dictating to the audiences what sorts of artists they want to hear on the radio, rather than allowing the audience to tell them. Just like a parent who puts food in front of his/her children and says, "This is your supper. Take and eat it, because you aren't getting anything else," the consultants are acting as parents to the listeners (just as CBS did to its viewers with the rural purge). They are basically saying, "These are the only songs and artists you're going to hear on these stations. Take 'em or leave 'em." Well then, what choice do listeners have but to either consume what is put before them, or turn the radio off altogether and just pop in a CD in the car from here on out. (My uncle no longer listens to the radio, but gets his music from YouTube for the reasons I have been describing.)

Finally, it's not just ordinary people I talk to who are unhappy with this. I have a co-worker who works part-time at a radio station in Warrenton, Missouri (we both work full-time in another line of work) and he agrees with what I've been saying. To put it in his words, "Music radio shouldn't be like McDonald's....where no matter what part of the country you are in, you always get the same thing."

Given the number of radio stations today, and the way everyone wants their own personal playlists, radio stations are putting older songs on their own stations. So if you want country from the 70s & 80s, there are stations for that. If you want pop or AC from that same era, they're being played on their own station. Same thing with older R&B. Lately we've seen a rise in a format called The Breeze, that plays soft AC from the 70s & 80s. Some of these stations are available on HD Radio. That way, people can just hear what they want. People who want currents can find them on currents-based stations.

There really aren't that many consultants anymore. Even when they exist, they aren't these almighty beings who dictate their own personal playlist to radio stations. Yes it would be nice if radio could be frozen in time in 1968, 1979 or 1989. Sadly, time marches on. Do you think that the woman cutting hair with the radio on cares if a station 100 miles away sounds essentially the same? We really don't all live in isolated enclaves anymore, especially with social media. The advertisers call the tune, and if a 30 year old woman wants Bro Country and not George Jones, the current-based country station is going to deliver that.

O.K. I am going to rant about something that I'm sure many people have already addressed. It has to do with music radio, its changes, and the fact that much of it is programmed by radio consultants.

I suspect it has more to do with the CONSULTANTS' changes in musical tastes. (After all, most radio stations playlists are created by consultants, right?) I have never understood the logic behind hiring an out-of-towner to program your music for your....in my case, St. Louis listeners.....when that person has probably never been to St. Louis and doesn't know the first thing about the people of our city. Instead of stations hiring local consultants to survey the population, they hire some big-wig across the country who creates one playlist for numerous stations in various states, as if it were a one-size fits all for radio listeners around the nation.

It's obvious that the consultants are dictating to the audiences what sorts of artists they want to hear on the radio, rather than allowing the audience to tell them.

Your whole post fails because you are basing your conclusion on "fake news" and facts not in evidence.

Consultants don't pick the songs for radio stations. The listeners do.

As Gr8oldies says, consultants today have a much smaller role overall in radio than they did pre-consolidation. Back in the days of smaller groups and single-station owners, hiring a consultant was a way to get big market experience and proven guidance for stations that needed a competitive advantage. Today, the larger groups have in-house staff to assist local programmers.

But whether it is today's group programmer or yesterday's consultant, the job was always to make each local station as responsive to local tastes and the competitive environment as possible. In larger markets, that means doing local music tests, looking at localized on-demand data, call-out (if a station plays currents) and finding the best mix for the market. In smaller markets, it means sharing research done in similar markets or building alliances with other stations. And consultants can often share among clients in the same format data on dongs that are breaking so that all the stations can decide whether to play them.

I had a well known consultant at WTNT in smaller-market Tallahassee in the late 80's and early 90's and we were never told what songs to play. We did music tests, which rotated between several nearby markets and outs for which we split costs. We got help on rotations and on setting up Music Master. We got tops on songs to watch. We got guidance for the morning show, and training for our PD. And we got help in interpreting research and implementing it, as the consultant had experience in many markets and over many years.

The consultant helped us go from an 8 share to a 12 share and absolute #1 in the market. Obviously, we were doing a better job serving and entertaining our listeners than we had been doing before. We knew more about what our listeners liked and what they did not like. We made more money, and more listeners liked us.

So, you see, your premise about consultants is pretty much wrong and you do not understand what their function is.

Yes, there have been efforts to centralize music selection and programming. CEO Lou Dickey did this rather unsuccessfully at Cumulus and the company went bankrupt. But those are exceptions, and they fail or under-perform.

Your whole post fails because you are basing your conclusion on "fake news" and facts not in evidence.

Consultants don't pick the songs for radio stations. The listeners do.

As Gr8oldies says, consultants today have a much smaller role overall in radio than they did pre-consolidation. Back in the days of smaller groups and single-station owners, hiring a consultant was a way to get big market experience and proven guidance for stations that needed a competitive advantage. Today, the larger groups have in-house staff to assist local programmers.

But whether it is today's group programmer or yesterday's consultant, the job was always to make each local station as responsive to local tastes and the competitive environment as possible. In larger markets, that means doing local music tests, looking at localized on-demand data, call-out (if a station plays currents) and finding the best mix for the market. In smaller markets, it means sharing research done in similar markets or building alliances with other stations. And consultants can often share among clients in the same format data on dongs that are breaking so that all the stations can decide whether to play them.

I had a well known consultant at WTNT in smaller-market Tallahassee in the late 80's and early 90's and we were never told what songs to play. We did music tests, which rotated between several nearby markets and outs for which we split costs. We got help on rotations and on setting up Music Master. We got tops on songs to watch. We got guidance for the morning show, and training for our PD. And we got help in interpreting research and implementing it, as the consultant had experience in many markets and over many years.

The consultant helped us go from an 8 share to a 12 share and absolute #1 in the market. Obviously, we were doing a better job serving and entertaining our listeners than we had been doing before. We knew more about what our listeners liked and what they did not like. We made more money, and more listeners liked us.

So, you see, your premise about consultants is pretty much wrong and you do not understand what their function is.

Yes, there have been efforts to centralize music selection and programming. CEO Lou Dickey did this rather unsuccessfully at Cumulus and the company went bankrupt. But those are exceptions, and they fail or under-perform.

Funny how we never heard the term fake news until a fake fake president got elect. Not sure how or even question you how you know that listeners pick the songs. But I'll just take you at your word

Funny how we never heard the term fake news until a fake fake president got elect. Not sure how or even question you how you know that listeners pick the songs. But I'll just take you at your word

Many music stations... and most of the major ones... do extensive research into the music in general and the specific songs people want to hear and do not want to hear. This is done by recruiting, at considerable expense, listeners who participate in the projects and give very precise feedback on their likes and dislikes.

Individual songs are programmed (or not programmed) in proportion to their degree of acceptance by actual listeners.

Some examples of station research are detailed here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/research_station_based.htm

The two kinds of research that "score" individual songs are callout research and auditorium music tests (Called AMTs in the industry).

js6592 may not understand how business is done if he believes consultants dictate. The best way to describe it might be to imagine yourself an interior decorator. A client calls and wants you to put together the interior of their home. The interior decorator does not go in and dictate what it will look like but rather talks to the client and reflects their desires. In other words, the station says we want 'this' and the consultant does exactly what the station wants to get that paycheck. Literally if the consultant just does what they want, they will have a string of failures and nobody would use them, even for free. It's just the way any business works. I can tell you if I hired a consultant they'd be spending time in my city getting up close and personal with my target audience. In fact, if I was going to do that I'd include music testing at a nice hotel.

There have been formats a consultant developed and stations wanting that format might hire them, but you can bet the format is customized for the individual stations that carry it. I've noticed the Jack format can vary quite a bit market to market.

js6592 may not understand how business is done if he believes consultants dictate. The best way to describe it might be to imagine yourself an interior decorator. A client calls and wants you to put together the interior of their home. The interior decorator does not go in and dictate what it will look like but rather talks to the client and reflects their desires. In other words, the station says we want 'this' and the consultant does exactly what the station wants to get that paycheck. Literally if the consultant just does what they want, they will have a string of failures and nobody would use them, even for free. It's just the way any business works. I can tell you if I hired a consultant they'd be spending time in my city getting up close and personal with my target audience. In fact, if I was going to do that I'd include music testing at a nice hotel.

There have been formats a consultant developed and stations wanting that format might hire them, but you can bet the format is customized for the individual stations that carry it. I've noticed the Jack format can vary quite a bit market to market.

The classic case of a consultant is in health care... a person will nearly always call a medical professional when they don't feel well or are hurt. Few would try to self-medicate or self-treat except for minor day-in, day-out thinks likes scrapes, headaches and muscle pains. And a doctor is the classic consultant!

Of course, anyone who goes to H&R Block to do their taxes is employing a consultant.

People are looking for someone to blame when they can't hear what they want for free. The consultant is a convenient target.

Many music stations... and most of the major ones... do extensive research into the music in general and the specific songs people want to hear and do not want to hear. This is done by recruiting, at considerable expense, listeners who participate in the projects and give very precise feedback on their likes and dislikes.

Individual songs are programmed (or not programmed) in proportion to their degree of acceptance by actual listeners.

Some examples of station research are detailed here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/research_station_based.htm

The two kinds of research that "score" individual songs are callout research and auditorium music tests (Called AMTs in the industry).

I know me TV fm is Chicago does, as on their website when they list the last 5 songs they played you can hit play more or play less. And it must be interesting where there are songs that some listeners love while other ones hate. And I am sure that there are songs that I hate that other love. Some of the songs that I just can't stand are Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl, Saturday in the Park, any Michael Jackson song as an adult, and Respect (Arthea Franklin). A song that I am getting tired of hearing getting played is Cheap Trick's I want you to want me the live version, I am seriously questioning if they are a one hit wonder. As that is the only song i ever hear get played. And I like to challenge anybody to think of, when was the last time you have heard another song other then this song by Cheap Trick get played?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom