• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MUSIC LIBRARIES

PTOCDJ

Inactive
Inactive User
Say you're starting a new format and need to build a huge music library of, let's say, 50's-70's oldies, or any non-current music. Where would be the best (and least expensive) place to look? Thanks for the help.

Um, Sams Club or Costco? I got a lot of mine there to tell the truth. Also, Time Life music. For a true music library I think the TM Century list is the best I have found.

Agreed that TM Studios may be the way to go. They may have some barter options available to you, depending on your market and their willingness to be nice.

Well, first of all, if you're planning an internet radio station, (don't know if you are or not), TM Century and some of the other "radio library" suppliers may not be of much help. Some of their contracts with the record labels prohibit selling the libraries to any other than "professional" radio stations. Perhaps that has changed in the last year or so, but the last time I checked, you pretty much had to be an over-the-air station, with all ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licensing in place.

Also, you need to be careful. Even some TM Century libraries (and others) have the "wrong" versions of oldies. I have found a few remakes and re-issues in them. And, I'm just not a fan of the "no noise" CD's anymore, from a position of pure sonic quality.

The Time Life Series are, generally speaking, pretty good in terms of being original hits by the original stars.
But, to get what you need from CD will generally cost you a couple thousand dollars, before you have a substantial enough library.

One Who Knows said:
And, I'm just not a fan of the "no noise" CD's anymore, from a position of pure sonic quality.

Isn't this the way their current CDs (HitDiscs) are still done? What's the argument against that practice?

There are a couple companies that do this, besides CenturyTM, but they're sometimes more expensive...and, they too, will require that you're an over-the-air broadcast facility. I've found little or no benefit to the "no noise" from Century.

Although, I have found some label re-issues where they'll broaden the stereo image...they sound bad on an FM radio that's not in 100% full quiet stereo. In that case, depending, I'll go to back to Century or someplace like Msaoldies.com.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom