• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music Libraries?

When making a format flip, how do stations change their music over night? Is there a music library they purchase?

> When making a format flip, how do stations change their
> music over night? Is there a music library they purchase?
>

Yes, though there's usually much more advance planning than just doing it overnight. (FedEx is fast, but not THAT fast)

>

Stations usually load up the automation computer weeks in advance of a format change, specially the Clear channel and infinity type groups, they usually have a AC Harddrive or a CHR drive or a Rock Drive or Country drive somewhere in the company and can easly import the audio into the stations automation system for "format Change" Smaller stations would have to call up Halland or TM Century and purchase a Gold disc library and dub their audio in... Naturally format changes are not planned overnight.<P ID="signature">______________
Lenks
Program Director/Music Director
X Music Online
The X
Today's Best Music
http://www.xmusiconline.com/</P>

Re: (A funny story about..)Music Libraries?

>

It's probably a lot easier now than it was in the older days of radio!

The very first station I worked for, had a music library consisting entirely
of 45s and a few albums. Shortly before I went to work there, the station was
burned (arson, by a disgruntled former DJ) and they lost all of their music.

It had been a Top-40 station in its heyday but was softening up a bit when I started there. Nonetheless, I made a few trips to the local K-Mart and Musicland stores to buy 45s for the station to fill in the gaps and replace songs they lost in the fire! This was in 1979.

My internet station now has a huge vinyl library of both Christian and country music. I doubt if I could even find some of this out-of-print old stuff. It came
out of stations that are now either silent or have gone through format changes.
And, yes, I've been known to salvage things just before, or just after, it was
put in the dumpster..lol!<P ID="signature">______________
Proudly remembering the days of the hometown "country giant" radio stations now at
http://www.live365.com/stations/alanmccall</P>

>
I personally have a big library of music for multiple formats. When I did part 15, all I had to do was change the playlists.

I personally am set to program:

CHR
Alternative/Rock leaning CHR
Alternative
Hot AC
Soft AC/AC
Oldies
All 90s
80s & More (70s-90s)
Rhythmic Variety (Mix of rhythmic oldies, 80s new wave/pop/dance/r&B, 90s pop/dance/r&B, 2000s pop/dance/R&B)

So I would guess that is what at least some stations would have for a format flip.

Either that or the TM Century thing or maybe a central server within the company.
<P ID="signature">______________

AIM: JeremyA1069</P>

With Clear Channel stations, there is a central music server integrated with their Prophet systems that they can use to download entire formats overnight.

- Doc

>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom