• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music changes at Dave FM?

96atl

Dave FM seems to be going in a bit of a different direction. Looking at yes.com, all new songs outside of Norah Jones have been taken off or regulated to overnights. Including new songs from The Fray, Deathcab For Cutie, Joss Stone, James Morrison, Mika, Beck, The Killers, Tyrone Wells, and more.... They seem to almost be moving from AAA to more of an Adult Hits format. I didn't like all of new songs, but it would be kind of sad if they go from Dave and off the FM dial. Seems like they are starting to also play a lot of Prince.

Additionally, the "Dave After Tomorrow" program has been discontinued. Last Thursday was the last show.

The only format change that the station needs is to go back to Z-93.

Indeed.

Two words, Michelle Engle. She programs by the seat of her pants. If she's in the mood to play Jam bands all week, so be it. Currently, she loves INXS thus there are four INXS tunes in current rotation.

In comparing DAVE to WXRT-FM, Chicago, DAVE plays four by INXS, five by U2 and four by Dave Matthews. WXRT plays one U2, not the one currently spinning on DAVE and none of the other in the top 100. Michelle knows best though, if she likes U2, we all have to. Sounds a little like the republican administration don't it. (It's a joke, don't flame me.)

Too bad about Dave After Tomorrow. That was the one show that had great music and insightful commentary. That will also decrease number the songs spun over a week. (See previous discussion.).

Neil Millman said:
Two words, Michelle Engle. She programs by the seat of her pants. If she's in the mood to play Jam bands all week, so be it. Currently, she loves INXS thus there are four INXS tunes in current rotation.

In comparing DAVE to WXRT-FM, Chicago, DAVE plays four by INXS, five by U2 and four by Dave Matthews. WXRT plays one U2, not the one currently spinning on DAVE and none of the other in the top 100. Michelle knows best though, if she likes U2, we all have to. Sounds a little like the republican administration don't it. (It's a joke, don't flame me.)

Too bad about Dave After Tomorrow. That was the one show that had great music and insightful commentary. That will also decrease number the songs spun over a week. (See previous discussion.).

You have to program to the masses... "Dave After Tomorrow" was for music geeks. And most of us aren't.... Everytime I look at music research I shake my head. The SAME "Ol" songs test well. It's because people want to hear songs they recognize.
"Dave" is WAY off. I'm surprised CBS hasn't pulled the plug yet. What a waste of an incredible signal. I NEVER hear anyone talking about "Dave Fm." There isn't any buzz, there isn't a reason to listen, and it's mind boggling that Michelle still has a gig...

Ugh...

She is smart she has spent half her time their on maternity leave. Tough to fire the pregnant chick. Dave after tomoorow is a Sunday show not a weekday night show. This isn't colege radio. I liked listening to it when I came across it but that show was not going to attract the masses.

Insideradio said:
Neil Millman said:

You have to program to the masses... "Dave After Tomorrow" was for music geeks. And most of us aren't.... Everytime I look at music research I shake my head. The SAME "Ol" songs test well. It's because people want to hear songs they recognize.
"Dave" is WAY off. I'm surprised CBS hasn't pulled the plug yet. What a waste of an incredible signal. I NEVER hear anyone talking about "Dave Fm." There isn't any buzz, there isn't a reason to listen, and it's mind boggling that Michelle still has a gig...

Ugh...

You fell into my trap Insider. You mention that people want to hear the songs they recognize. WRONG!!! The question that is asked is: "Do you recognize this song?" The consultants and programmers make the assumption that listeners want to hear them, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again coz they recognize them. Do you really want to hear “Satisfaction” for the nine millionth time? Heck no. You would probably like to hear any of these other Rolling Stones songs that charted during the 1960’s but are never played: It's All Over Now; Not Fade Away; Tell Me (You're Coming Back); Time Is On My Side; The Last Time; 19th Nervous Breakdown, As Tears Go By; Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?: Lady Jane; Mothers Little Helper; Dandelion; We Love You; She's A Rainbow; Street Fighting Man. That’s 15 options that commercial radio never plays because the consultants only focus on the familiar songs. And why are they familiar? Because radio plays them over and over. It’s a viscous cycle.

I agree that DAT was for geeks. It aired at 9:00pm NOT during mainstream listening, thus the geeks could enjoy it. I think the demise is two-fold: a) not enough listeners due to excellent TV on Thursday night and b) too eclectic for DAVE’s narrow-minded listeners. (Hey, DAVE isn’t playing Coldplay, I must close my ears.)

While I could call you a d-bag; you are obviously a learned poster with a wrong-headed thought process.

Neil Millman said:
Insideradio said:
Neil Millman said:

Ugh...

You fell into my trap Insider. You mention that people want to hear the songs they recognize. WRONG!!! The question that is asked is: "Do you recognize this song?" The consultants and programmers make the assumption that listeners want to hear them, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again coz they recognize them. Do you really want to hear “Satisfaction” for the nine millionth time? Heck no. You would probably like to hear any of these other Rolling Stones songs that charted during the 1960’s but are never played: It's All Over Now; Not Fade Away; Tell Me (You're Coming Back); Time Is On My Side; The Last Time; 19th Nervous Breakdown, As Tears Go By; Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?: Lady Jane; Mothers Little Helper; Dandelion; We Love You; She's A Rainbow; Street Fighting Man. That’s 15 options that commercial radio never plays because the consultants only focus on the familiar songs. And why are they familiar? Because radio plays them over and over. It’s a viscous cycle.

I agree that DAT was for geeks. It aired at 9:00pm NOT during mainstream listening, thus the geeks could enjoy it. I think the demise is two-fold: a) not enough listeners due to excellent TV on Thursday night and b) too eclectic for DAVE’s narrow-minded listeners. (Hey, DAVE isn’t playing Coldplay, I must close my ears.)

While I could call you a d-bag; you are obviously a learned poster with a wrong-headed thought process.

Hey, I didn't give you MY personal opinion on programming... I'm telling you what works. I've worked at stations where I fought with bosses to program some "B" cuts but to no avail. It just doesn't happen. Most people don't listen to radio like we do, so yeah, when they hear a Stones hit they listen. If they hear a "B" side cut they don't recognize they change the channel. People that are really "into" music either have Ipods, make their own Cd's, or have satellite.

D-bag? No bro.... just telling you how terrestial radio is. I didn't say that I liked it.

Got beat to the punch by insideradio...

If you are listening to a station more than 5 hours a day then you are considered a "super cumer"...most folk don't listen to radio more than 2-3 hours a day...that is the norm, not the rule...so that is why you hear some songs more often because you may have heard that new tune twice in 8-10 hours (more like 24-48 on gold based music), but the "average" radio listener who is passive to begin with, with music radio, has only heard it that time. I am just the messenger, but I have done enough music and perceptual research on many formats to know that the results really are the same in the sense of radio usage.

Dave suffers from not having a Morning Host who can aty least be a warm voice to convey passion for the msuic and say hello to you while getting rady for your work day. No offense to the News Woman, but that is all her role is...

Insideradio said:
D-bag? No bro.... just telling you how terrestial radio is. I didn't say that I liked it.

I called you are learned poster. If you had NOT presented your case with facts and knowledge you would be a D-bag.

Sorry for the insinuation.

Dave sucks. It began to go downhill when they started playing new music and wanted to be a true AAA.
Mason programmed this stick way back when...expect it to change and soon.

Neil Millman said:

Monitors show Dave playing 22 U2 songs, 12 INXS and 13 Dave Matthews songs this week. WXRT played 28 U2 songs, 9 INXS and 6 Dave Matthews' songs. Not sure what this means but there it is. Dave's percentage of Gold to New/Recurrent has changed. A month ago, it was 78/22. This week it is 88/12. With Dan Mason coming in, how long before Michelle is out?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom