• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Movin" loses 2 stations in 2 days, impact on the rest of them?

So the "Movin" format loses 2 stations in 2 days, the big change in dallas, and this morning All Access reports "Movin" in Jacksonville has gone to classic country.

how do you think these moves impacts the rest of the Movin' branded stations? will any more "die" this year? this is a little discouraging to fans of the format like myself.

thoughts?

I hope KMVQ in SF/Oakland stays the same and does not change!

alexh1013 said:
I hope KMVQ in SF/Oakland stays the same and does not change!

They have moved in more of a CHR direction.

It looks like rhythmic AC is dead. Few stations left in the format.

all access reports that movin 99.7 in SF has been moved to the top 40 panel on mediabase due to some recent playlist changes, strange to say the least but no format changes.

seems the rest of the movin's are gonna change musically to fit their market, which is a good thing, but i think the original concept just can not work.

KQMV in Seattle is a good station. I listen to it online.

I noticed that KMVQ in SF is leaning towards a CHR/Rhythmic station. I think they are trying to rival with KMEL(Urban) and KYLD(Top 40 CHR). I still listen to KMVQ.

I love the format. The original format but shortly after the launch of MOViN, it quickly began to change to fit the market. Seattle's is doing great. No need to change that. LA's is not doing HORRIBLE either. MOViN should follow the same idea Alan Burns created it with but tweak it to fit the market just like any CHR, Rhythmic, Hot AC, etc.

I wouldn't say Seattle is doing great anymore.

I will be interested in how the new Rhythmic AC in Miami is going to do. I like their mix of music. Miami would seem like a natural for this format to work.

I think that the San Fransisco “Movin’,” KMVQ, will flip next, as it is CBS’s last “Movin’” station.

Personally, I am saddened by the direction in which the “Movin’” stations are going… away. I am a huge fan of the format. But, as I’ve discussed previously, I don’t really know if Rhythmic AC is verry viable right now as a format.

Well, anyway, 5 down, 8 remaining.

1. KQMV (92.5 Seattle, WA.)
2. KMVQ (99.7 San Fransisco, CA.)
3. KMVA (97.1 Phoenix, AZ.)
4. KMVN (93.9 Los Angeles, CA.)
5. KMVV (104.9 Anchorage, AK.)
6. WOLF/WWLF (100.3/96.7 Syracuse/Oswego, NY.)
7. WYEZ (94.5 Myrtle Beach, SC.)
And 8. KYMV (100.7 Salt Lake City, UT, already transformed into a CHR station.)

So, you ask, who’s flippin’ next? Well, we don’t know. But whoever it is, sit back people, and get out your score cards, cuzz this is gonna be fun!

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)
My email: [email protected].

I think Rhythmic AC became too oldies-based. It should have been more current based, more like Rhythmic Hot AC, so to speak. I think the Rhythmic AC's that are evolving to CHR are overshooting it and will find it tough to compete with established CHR's in their markets. I don't think one can "evolve" from any format to CHR. One must "splash" when debuting a CHR, a la AMP Radio in LA.

I really hope that programmers are starting to recognize that it takes more than a music list to make a radio format. I remember when Jack came to an area station. For a few weeks, I heard some great old songs I'd not heard in a while. Then, I started to hear them every few days. Then it became pretty old and stale. A radio station needs other elements besides music lists and commercials. There are lots of other things. Just pick one, and maybe you can come up with a format that lasts longer than two years.

All of the rhythmic ACs I used to like have bit the dust now... I could care less if they all flipped to CHR or Dance... The Movin in Myrtle beach is a Jammin Oldies,,, has the exact same playlist as Jammin 99.9 up the road in Wilmington, which is already receivable in the area,, and with a better signal in the grand strand than 94.5.. And does the Movin in Anchorage really even count,, its on a rimshot signal, no website or stream, and the signal is a rimshot,,,, more Polar Bears than people between Anchorage and Movin.....

Clubber,

KMVV in Anchorage does have a website: www.movin1049.com. I don’t know about a stream though, as the site refreshes automatically, and my screen reader keeps reading the same portion of the website. Could you check to see if there’s a stream, please?

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)

Jokes on me... Movin 104.9 does indeed have a website and surprisingly a pretty HQ Stream from Surfer network...... Also,, the jingles are a bit different than the ones in the lower 48, and it seems more dance friendly as well... Its gonna take more than 30 minutes of listening to judge though,,,,, their signal is still far out, but then again, KGOT 101.3 has a tower in the middle of no where too.

Clubber,

Is there any way you could provide the direct stream link? I know that for some you can, and some are imbedded in the website, or in windows. I ask because, unfortunately, I can’t access the stream because Jaws isn’t finding the listen live link.

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)

Clubber, scratch that. I was finally able to find the stream. KMVV sounds pretty good. It sounds just like our local “Movin’,” WWLF/WOLF. I like it.

--The Radio Kid
(Oswego, NY.)

sigh looks at old movin in dallas website bookmark lol

i have been listening to the remaining movin's web streams, the s.f one is pretty good!

Is MOViN/Myrtle Beach using the normal 'Movin' jingles, etc? They aren't like most MOViNs, except maybe KMVN. It's pretty much Jammin Oldies.....which is a has-been in itself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom