• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More Channel 6 Changes?

The noon news joins the list of those with a truncated, no-anchor name opening. Bottom of the hour intro also changed to name no anchors. No mention of Rick Williams in the sign off, but he’s on at 5. On social media he refers to Sharie Williams as his co-anchor, and she’s on at 5, instead of 4. No mention of her at 4, and no reference to the 10 pm news by the 4 pm team.

4 pm has had a truncated opening for a long time, and the 5 pm has had one since Monica Malpass left. 6 and 11 already have truncated openings. The way they’re going, there won’t be a full opening left soon. :)

I just wanted the end of the 6pm news and Jim said Rick Williams would be coanchoring the 10pm news on phl17 and not Brian Taff. Is Brian Taff anchoring another newscast?

Noon and 4 now, at least this week. Seemed to be they passed over Sarah Bloomquist to add another slot, and put Jeanette Reyes in at 4 in place of Sharrie Williams, who moves to 5 and 10. Bloomquist seemed to add what had been Alicia V’s “third wheel”’slot at 4, with Alicia doing it at 5. Except Sarah is already off Fridays so she can do Sundays. Fridays at noon have been weird for a while with her doing Sunday, however.

For a station that has been built on stability, this is utterly bizarre. One anchor departure should not lead to a wholesale shuffling of the decks. Simply put Sarah and Rick together at noon and five, except Friday, and the whole thing was solved.

So now all the effort to build up the 10 pm brand on PHL is tossed aside. The 4 pm team is split up. A rising star and potential partial heir (assuming they move to a two person team) to your not-getting-any-younger lead anchor is demoted. And you eff up the experience of the openings just for bad measure.

It’s like taking a page from the playbooks of the stations you were beating for 40 years.

I mean watched. Who left Action News?
Monica Malpass left, which seemed to set the chain in motion, albeit on a delayed basis. They had been using Sarah Bloomquist fairly regularly at 5, quite logically having the same team (weather notwithstanding) already established at noon. A few others subbed as well.

So now they upend four newscasts and diminish the brand equity of the most consistent part of their presentation.

This does not strike me as a particularly smart move.

Ok. Monica left awhile ago. I thought another anchor left recently but, I couldn’t think of who wasn’t there.

New openings at noon and 4. Taff officially at noon. Reyes at 4, with Bloomquist also included (not Vitarelli, leaving only two of the previous team intact).

The VO guy sounded like something is affecting his voice. Not the same booming impact of the last round of intros.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom