• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monk and Columbo to air on MEtv starting July 18th.

OK MeTV, you've gone way too far. Columbo, fine. But why is a 2000s show being rerun on MeTV? Please stick to the classics from the '60s and '70s, maybe some '80s. Or it will turn into nothing but King of Queens and George Lopez reruns in a couple of years...

Reactions: drt
OK MeTV, you've gone way too far. Columbo, fine. But why is a 2000s show being rerun on MeTV? Please stick to the classics from the '60s and '70s, maybe some '80s. Or it will turn into nothing but King of Queens and George Lopez reruns in a couple of years...
It's time to move on if MeTV wants to attract the older end Millennials. 2000's would have to be up for consideration for classic TV in the next 5-10 years.

Who was airing monk before who had the rights to it?

Apparently their views on the vision they see for metv and yours are not the same.

It's time to move on if MeTV wants to attract the older end Millennials. 2000's would have to be up for consideration for classic TV in the next 5-10 years.
When USA Network put together Monk in the 2000s, their goal was NOT to attract millennials. The target demographic for the show was 35-64 year olds. My mother was in her 50s when Monk was popular. She was a fan of the show until the storyline started taking a downward spiral. If it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't have known about Monk. I'm a millennial and I too was a fan of Monk until the storyline started taking a downward spiral. It became stupid. I definitely think Columbo is far, far better than Monk any day.

When Monk went into syndication, Hallmark Channel was the first to pick it up. Then individual local TV stations started airing the episodes of the show. In Atlanta, Monk airs overnights on independent TV station Peachtree TV WPCH 17 Tues.-Sat. mornings at 2AM ET and Sun. mornings at 3AM ET. Monk also airs on H&I (Heroes & Icons) Network. Is Monk considered a hero or an icon? I consider him an icon because in a promo for Monk when it was still on USA Network, they showed part of a scene in an episode where Ted Levine as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer said that he would NOT call Monk a superhero.

When USA Network put together Monk in the 2000s, their goal was NOT to attract millennials. The target demographic for the show was 35-64 year olds. My mother was in her 50s when Monk was popular. She was a fan of the show until the storyline started taking a downward spiral. If it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't have known about Monk. I'm a millennial and I too was a fan of Monk until the storyline started taking a downward spiral. It became stupid. I definitely think Columbo is far, far better than Monk any day.

You're correct I knew back in the 2000's Millenials would have been listed in the teen category at the time. It would have been Boomers and possibly GenX at least the older end in the 2000's when the show was released. I figured MeTV had to lower the demos.

It's always painful when networks like Nickelodeon, AMC, MeTV and similar that once showed programs from my parents' era or older, start airing stuff I watched live as a kid or young adult. It either indicates they're no longer sticking with the "classics" or that I myself am becoming a "classic"...Which I refuse to even consider :)

It's always painful when networks like Nickelodeon, AMC, MeTV and similar that once showed programs from my parents' era or older, start airing stuff I watched live as a kid or young adult. It either indicates they're no longer sticking with the "classics" or that I myself am becoming a "classic"...Which I refuse to even consider :)
I agree with you on that one and at the same time I understand media outlets are under pressure to lower their median demos to remain viable in this decade.

the audience for many shows has simply died, and many of these networks aren't even on the radar of younger viewers who just stream everything and might even think getting tv OTA is illegal

its currently on sister network H&I

the audience for many shows has simply died, and many of these networks aren't even on the radar of younger viewers who just stream everything and might even think getting tv OTA is illegal
Getting OTA TV is illegal I would love to see the survey on this one :D. But More likely its because the TV they have today is mainly streaming only or need a cable connection and may not even have an OTA tuner at this point. In Monk's case his show is running on Hallmark on the cable side but he's within the demos GenX for now.

Could this be just for a Summer replacement?
It's kind of late for Monk to be a Summer replacement unless the folks at MeTV air the episodes just through late July and all of August or maybe even run into September. The folks at MeTV will either have another replacement show for September or they'll wait until October. Anything is possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom