• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monitoring Times Magazine to cease publishing with Dec. issue

Talked to Grove today;they confirmed that

Grove Enterprises will also close.

Presumably there will be a "going out of business" sale.

I'm surprised MT has held on as long as it has, and I have to wonder how long PopComm will be around. Let's face it, the majority of what is in these great publications can now be found on the web on sites like Radio Reference for free, and with the proliferation of newer digital technology like P25 phase II, DMR, Nexedge also comes that "E" word, the radio monitoring hobby is up in the air.

With the shut down of GRE, that only really leaves Uniden as a major player in the consumer scanning receiver market, and the Home Patrol doesn't won't support newer digital air interfaces like MotoTRBO or Nexedge, let alone P25 phase 2. There have been rumors of a phase 2 capable scanner from Uniden, but nothing yet. A real SDR scanner just isn't practical for the mass market.

Gotta enjoy the hobby while we can. If the telecom cartels have their way at pushing this LTE garbage upon public safety, there won't be ANYTHING left to listen to.

It turns out that the online PopComm version
is unfortunately handled by a third party
company in their own format and viewer.

It's quaint having to turn the simulated pages
of the simulated magazine and fiddle with
zoom etc. but who wants to do that?
By comparison MT was in industry standard
pdf format and easy to use.

If you go with PopComm,suggest the print version.

MT did go well beyond scanning.

But things are certainly tough for the other radio hobbies as well. Shortwave stations are vanishing at a rapid rate; about all that's left are U.S. stations broadcasting the same religious programming you can get on a half-dozen local AM/FM stations. Longwave beacons are disappearing in favor of GPS. Shortwave utility transmissions are holding out surprisingly well but that's always been a VERY niche interest, with most transmissions heavily encrypted.

AM BC DX has lost the program listener. 40 years ago one might DX to get that interesting top-40 show from five states away. Today, that station five states away is carrying the same syndicated talk show as one of your locals and a dozen other DX targets. FM and TV have some interesting opportunities resulting from new technology and the clearing of the 54-88MHz band - but again, this is very much a niche section of the hobby.

But I think in the end, more than anything else it's the near-zero cost of self-publishing on the Internet that's killing most magazines, regardless of topic.

Don't forget the disappearance of Bruce Elving's FMedia and FM Atlas... While specific, they were very good...

Elving's publications were a labor of love. They would have -- and did -- last as long as Dr. Elving himself did.

The UK "Monitoring Monthly" magazine was another good one, which went out of business in May of 2009. Like "MT", they covered a whole "spectrum" (pun intended) of subjects, including weather satellites.
Sad to see "MT" go away....I've been a reader for decades.

(Who will take over the WinRadio franchise?)

Hate hearing about the end of MT, an amazing magazine. Pop Comm used to be awesome but started to slip in the nineties. But before the internet MT and Pop Comm were required reading.

Hate hearing about the end of MT, an amazing magazine. Pop Comm used to be awesome but started to slip in the nineties. But before the internet MT and Pop Comm were required reading.

Please see the earlier threads on my trials with the Pop'Comm sub.

Added to them is a late-delivery problem detailed on Eham.

The one copy I did get was IMHO below the former standard Pop'Comm

had when the late Tom Kneitel was there.

Cancelled it this past Monday...the times,they change.

Ah, yes, shortwave and monitoring radio magazines. I remember -- back when I had the money. I would get Pop Comm, MT, and the British "Shortwave" magazine, which was high quality, and had interesting articles, with MWDX and SWDX logs from Europe. Very cool. I also got a few copies of the Satellite Times (MT satellite publication), as well as CQ, and sometimes 73 magazine. But, like I said, that was when I had the money.

I did buy a MT a couple months ago. I would buy it more often except for the same reason I didn't buy Newsweek a couple years before it folded (like I used to in the '90's and 2000's), or for the same reason I don't buy Business Week or Time (like I used to). Money's a bit more tight than it used to be.

Although it's true the internet is killing off a lot of publishing, internet replacements for these DXing publications aren't necessarily what they're cracked up to be. Some of the internet DXer sites don't get updated often. I've seen DX blogs that don't appear to have been updated since 2006. Some forums haven't had much activity in two years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom