• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mixx 99.3

Does anyone have any thoughts about this station? They’ve been around for a few years now. Here are mine:
1. I like the music mix and throwbacks.
2. I like their commitment to being local. However, they have only two jocks. One jock is on for over 12 hours a day, likely voicetracking everything.
3. Their processing isn’t good. There’s a hissing/buzzing sound under the music.
4. Their signal is horrible. Unless you live on RI’s south-facing coast, or Block Island, you’ll have a hard time hearing them. They profess to be Newport-centric, but they don’t have a good signal on Aquidneck Island. Unfortunately, Mixx is hemmed in by the powerhouse at 99.1 out of Plymouth and by 99.5 out of Boston.

Your thoughts?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this station? They’ve been around for a few years now. Here are mine:
1. I like the music mix and throwbacks.
2. I like their commitment to being local. However, they have only two jocks. One jock is on for over 12 hours a day, likely voicetracking everything.
3. Their processing isn’t good. There’s a hissing/buzzing sound under the music.
4. Their signal is horrible. Unless you live on RI’s south-facing coast, or Block Island, you’ll have a hard time hearing them. They profess to be Newport-centric, but they don’t have a good signal on Aquidneck Island. Unfortunately, Mixx is hemmed in by the powerhouse at 99.1 out of Plymouth and by 99.5 out of Boston.

Your thoughts?

My opinion on 99.3 (and 95.9 since they are with each other on Block Island but i'll talk mostly about 99.3)
Being in Montville CT, the signal is really bad and I have used quality radios (C Cranes, Tecsuns etc) the hiss is awful and forget if I use my 3M bluetooth Worktunes because the picket fencing is very pronounced and there. 95.9's signal is similar. The music content is okay but not my style of music. Oh by the way, 99.5 Is Lowell MA(If we are thinking of the same signal. I drove to my local post office a few days ago (which is about 2 miles from my location) and was scanning the bands while driving and some signals were downright terrible and 99.3 was on of them. Almost not listenable and it's not like i'm that far from the transmitter. It's about the same distance from here to West Peak give or take and those signals all come in at least solid. There are plenty of other signals that have a similar format. Listen to 92.3 PRO or 105.1 if you want a little more 80s sometimes thrown in. I bet you could receive some of the boston signals fairly well so i'd just stop listening to them or find their online stream(If they have one) Cool topic!

I just like the fact that they are local. While WPRO-FM is a decent station, I’m not a fan of Cumulus and all the out of town voicetracking (nights, for example). I give Mixx credit for trying.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom