• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mix 106 is Streaming Timeless Classics

F

Famous56guy

WNMX 106.1FM www.mix106.net in Charlotte, NC is now streaming thier satellite delivered ABC "Stardust Network" Does anyone else know of an FM station useing a satellite service with an Adult Standard Format? This is a first that I am aware of, most satellite delivered services are to small am stations operating in small markets.

There are several that I know of. Some of them simulcast an AM sister, but that still counts.

ABC Stardust affiliates:
WMRX 97.7 FM Beaverton, MI (simulcasting WMPX 1490 AM Midland)
WLEZ-LP 103.7 FM Jackson, MS
KTLO 97.9 FM Mountain Home, AR

Westwood One Adult Standards affiliates:
KMMZ 101.3 FM Crane (Midland), TX "Memories 101.3"
WWGL 102.9 FM Huntington (Fort Wayne), IN (simulcasting WGL 1250 AM, "The River")
WOSN 97.1 FM Indian River Shores (Melbourne), FL "Ocean FM"
WFCT 105.5 FM Apalachicola, FL "The Coast"

Music of Your Life affiliates:
KOMT 107.5 FM Mountain Home, AR (how interesting... Mountain Home has BOTH a Stardust and an MOYL station, both on FM. I guess the older demos in that area are lucrative? Of course, KOMT's signal also reaches Branson, MO.)
KBFL 99.9 FM Buffalo, MO (simulcast of 1060 AM)
KVRE 92.9 FM Hot Springs Village, AR
WMXH 105.7 FM Luray (Harrisonburg), VA "Stardust 105.7" (despite the moniker, it's a MOYL affiliate.)

I'm sure there are others, those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

KKJL in San Luis Obispo streams Westwood One; KKJW in Fresno streams WW1 on the weekends and has a similar, very good local playlist during the week.

I live in Jackson and listen to WLEZ (LPFM) regularly -- it's a great community station in a city setting. But its only 100 watts and I often have trouble getting the stream to connect. I have decided, however, I prefer the ABC Stardust format to Westwood One, which was long my favorite.

Famous56guy said:
WNMX 106.1FM www.mix106.net in Charlotte, NC is now streaming thier satellite delivered ABC "Stardust Network" Does anyone else know of an FM station useing a satellite service with an Adult Standard Format? This is a first that I am aware of, most satellite delivered services are to small am stations operating in small markets.

I thought ABC was going to kill off "Stardust"? Did I hear that wrong or is it still planned?

Bill

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Stardust is skewing a tad younger than it was previously since the death of the Memories format? They seem to be almost exclusively 60s-80s now with some material from the newer standards albums (Rod Stewart, Bette Midler, Carly Simon, "American Idol"'s John Stevens, and so forth). Songs like Jo Stafford's "You Belong To Me" and Patti Page's "Old Cape Cod," which were played regularly even a few months ago, appear to be gone except for the Saturday- and Sunday-night specialty shows. It appears that ABC merged some of the most popular titles from Memories into the Stardust format and, like WW1, retired many of the pre-1960 titles. Musically they're on the right track, but I prefer the stronger personality of WW1's format.

Incidentally, where I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan, Stardust can be heard on WILS 1320 (Lansing) and WFOB 1430 (Fostoria, OH). I can also get a faint signal from WGL 1250 Fort Wayne (WW1) in my car. Local Ann Arbor station WAAM 1600 played WW1's format on weekends until a few years ago when they dumped almost all of their music programming.

Does anyone know if KOMC 100.1 FM in Branson, MO, uses a satellite feed, or is it local?

Another station I left off the list is KBOA 105.5 FM in Piggott, AR ("Easy 105.5"), a Westwood One affiliate.

ChrisInMI said:
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Stardust is skewing a tad younger than it was previously since the death of the Memories format? They seem to be almost exclusively 60s-80s now with some material from the newer standards albums (Rod Stewart, Bette Midler, Carly Simon, "American Idol"'s John Stevens, and so forth). Songs like Jo Stafford's "You Belong To Me" and Patti Page's "Old Cape Cod," which were played regularly even a few months ago, appear to be gone except for the Saturday- and Sunday-night specialty shows. It appears that ABC merged some of the most popular titles from Memories into the Stardust format and, like WW1, retired many of the pre-1960 titles. Musically they're on the right track, but I prefer the stronger personality of WW1's format.
No, musically they're going way downhill. They're not playing what I want and adding a lot of junk.

Their personalities are fine. I can hear WW1 sometimes though, if I tune in at the right time.

I also have noticed the "Tweek" in Startdust format since they killed Memories. They are no longer playing the Unforgettable sound of hits from the 40's and 50' like Mitch Miller, Artie Shaw, Billy Vaughn, Acker Bilk, Billy Grammer, Moe Kaufman, Andy Russell , Julie Rodgers, Eddie Haywood, Rob Goodwin, The Ames Brothers and so the list goes on. It seems they droped thier Nostalgia Format for more MOR from the 70's. I definitly like the personalitys better then WW1 or MOYL

Famous56guy said:
I also have noticed the "Tweek" in Startdust format since they killed Memories. They are no longer playing the Unforgettable sound of hits from the 40's and 50' like Mitch Miller, Artie Shaw, Billy Vaughn, Acker Bilk, Billy Grammer, Moe Kaufman, Andy Russell , Julie Rodgers, Eddie Haywood, Rob Goodwin, The Ames Brothers and so the list goes on. It seems they droped thier Nostalgia Format for more MOR from the 70's. I definitly like the personalitys better then WW1 or MOYL
I need an IPOD or something. XM seems like it would be too expensive, with the cost of receivers (can't have just one). Because this is what I want.

Not that I dislike everything about the 70s, but there's too much of the garbage from that decade and the 60s. I want to be rewarded with the good stuff. I haven't even heard Tony Bennett by himself once on Stardust lately, but I've heard him several times on WW1.

Could be worse. Mix 106 played even worse garbage from the 80s during a failed experiment in 1997, and (so far) I haven't heard that on Stardust.

I heard "Volare", the Italian version, on WW1, and the DJ said Dean Martin was played before that. Frank Sinatra came next.

When was the last time Stardust did that?

It's not that they're playing songs in the oldies category they haven't played before. They're just not doing the good stuff enough.

ChrisInMI said:
Songs like Jo Stafford's "You Belong To Me" and Patti Page's "Old Cape Cod," which were played regularly even a few months ago, appear to be gone except for the Saturday- and Sunday-night specialty shows.

Another observation on this: I thought the weekend shows were getting better until one night I heard "Green Onions" on Joe Lacina's show. Don't we get enough of that garbage during the week?

Ad 1230 WCMC, Wildwood, NJ now simulcasting on 102.3FM to the list of standard formats now on the FM dial.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom