• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mike Kaplan named PD of WRFF

How did I forget Paramore lol, they’re on fire this year

Once again, what is your basis for being "on fire?"

Earlier this year, they released a new album that has been the worst selling album of their career. It sold 47,000 copies, and is their first album not to be certified either gold or platinum. They released four singles from the album, and none of them went Top 10. None of the songs charted in the Billboard Hot 100, which is mainly based on streaming, not airplay. Not the kind of thing that would indicate a band "on fire."

Earlier this year, they released a new album that has been the worst selling album of their career. It sold 47,000 copies, and is their first album not to be certified either gold or platinum. They released four singles from the album, and none of them went Top 10. None of the songs charted in the Billboard Hot 100, which is mainly based on streaming, not airplay. Not the kind of thing that would indicate a band "on fire."
Well, “This Is Why” did hit #1 on Alternative airplay and “Running Out Of Time” is closing in on top 10 on Alt airplay (per Mediabase). That said, the aforementioned lead single crashed pretty significantly in airplay for being a rather recent release, leading me to believe it tested rather poorly after scaling the chart (don’t blame them, it sucked IMO).

This gets us into the theme of newer Alternative being so divisive. When I looked at PrezSquid’s list of stuff from this year, I have only heard of FIVE of those artists (including Paramore). Of those five, I only liked TWO of them and thought the other three were ok at best. As I mentioned in another thread, when I was 25 (a decade ago), I couldn’t get enough of scouting new Alt music. Now, I fit into David’s mold of being the folks who finds most of the new stuff as background noise while charting.

What basis do you use for calling them "notable?" You like them? Good for you.
Ok you really need to stop with the “I only list things I LIKE that are obscure to you” bull. I listed a bunch of artists that are critically acclaimed by music publications, music critics like Anthony Fantano who are popular, stuff that trends on Spotify, some that trends on alt radio or siriusxm, why do you keep thinking I’m into some literally who band with 5 plays or some stuff.

Admit it, you do not know anything about modern alternative.

No one buys CDs anymore.

They literally sell out concerts.

They have a huge internet fan base.

They have millions of streams on Spotify and are the 264th top artist on the platform with 21 Million monthly listeners.

But you’re telling me just because they didn’t “perform well” on a dying medium shows they’re not successful?

Do you guys realize this attitude and the fact radio only caters to gen xers who hate modern music because they grew out of it is the reason why no one listens to the radio anymore?

Well, “This Is Why” did hit #1 on Alternative airplay and “Running Out Of Time” is closing in on top 10 on Alt airplay (per Mediabase). That said, the aforementioned lead single crashed pretty significantly in airplay for being a rather recent release, leading me to believe it tested rather poorly after scaling the chart (don’t blame them, it sucked IMO).

This gets us into the theme of newer Alternative being so divisive. When I looked at PrezSquid’s list of stuff from this year, I have only heard of FIVE of those artists (including Paramore). Of those five, I only liked TWO of them and thought the other three were ok at best. As I mentioned in another thread, when I was 25 (a decade ago), I couldn’t get enough of scouting new Alt music. Now, I fit into David’s mold of being the folks who finds most of the new stuff as background noise while charting.
can’t believe you’re a millennial with the aging cynicism of a boomer, sad!

Meanwhile us independent streamers are actually doing better than the medium I want to give a chance, have fun when radio goes away in 10 years!

I’m legit giving you a free pass and an introduction to the listening habits of my generation and the internet in general on what we like that’s alternative, that’s popular in the indie scene, that’s critically acclaimed by Pitchfork, Stereogum, etc… but nope, I must be crazy because I actually know and follow what’s going on and am not stuck in the past

But you guys probably think the new Marvelous 3 single will be the success to alternative, lol

I love this post.

I was criticizing Audacy for over hyping Paramore two or three years ago on these forums.

They have released a few good songs in the past, but it is an artist that should be nowhere near the top of the pile in terms of spins in the year 2023. I find their material better suited for Hot AC personally.

No one buys CDs anymore.

Yes, that's true. Sales figures are not based on physical sales, but include virtual sales.

You listed a dozen albums in post #77. Radio stations don't play albums.

They literally sell out concerts.

So does Taylor Swift, but they are nowhere near as popular as she is.

Do you guys realize this attitude and the fact radio only caters to gen xers who hate modern music because they grew out of it is the reason why no one listens to the radio anymore?

Once again, radio plays a LOT of new music. You keep making up things that are factually wrong. If you looked outside of your small box, you'd see that radio plays a lot of new music. Just not in the specific format you prefer.

I’m legit giving you a free pass and an introduction to the listening habits of my generation

You don't represent your generation. I can see the streaming charts, and I know what your generation likes based on what they stream. The artists you list don't appear. Quit trying to speak for millions of people. You don't. You like what you like, and you're welcome to enjoy it. But don't assume that everyone else likes what you like, because they don't.

So tell me, what do you think would make alternative successful? Playing pop artists? Playing classics? Have it die?

I think the basis for what was alternative doesn't exist anymore. That was a good name for the music that was created 30-35 years ago.

You don't represent your generation. I can see the streaming charts, and I know what your generation likes based on what they stream. The artists you list don't appear. Quit trying to speak for millions of people. You don't. You like what you like, and you're welcome to enjoy it. But don't assume that everyone else likes what you like, because they don't.
He lists a band called Squid among the artists radio should be playing and his username is PrezSquid. Hmmmm. Might be a touch of bias there.

He lists a band called Squid among the artists radio should be playing and his username is PrezSquid. Hmmmm. Might be a touch of bias there.
My username is PrezSquid because it’s a SpongeBob forum name where I like Squidward.

I listed Squid as a favorite because they’re from a label I love that does electronic called Warp Records, but they have indie bands that do experimental punk stuff and Squid is one of those bands that do it, have gotten airplay from 91X’s Tim Pyles, and were played on KEXP and BBC Radio 6.

Sorry you want to assume I have bias.

Oh yeah btw a 91X resurrection Sunday listener is a fan of them and thanked me for reminding them of their new album, as they loved their critically acclaimed record Bright Green Field in 2021.

Because reminder, alternative is supposed to be a format that breaks artists that are underground, you know… just like they did in the 80s with new wave and punk bands????

My username is PrezSquid because it’s a SpongeBob forum name where I like Squidward.

I listed Squid as a favorite because they’re from a label I love that does electronic called Warp Records, but they have indie bands that do experimental punk stuff and Squid is one of those bands that do it, have gotten airplay from 91X’s Tim Pyles, and were played on KEXP and BBC Radio 6.

Sorry you want to assume I have bias.
Who doesn't like Squidward! I'd definitely listen to a modern alt station that played some of his brilliant solo sax work.

Because reminder, alternative is supposed to be a format that breaks artists that are underground, you know… just like they did in the 80s with new wave and punk bands????

No, because alternative was supposed to be an alternative to bloated corporate rock bands at the time like Journey. Then alternative became the exact thing they hated.

Who doesn't like Squidward! I'd definitely listen to a modern alt station that played some of his brilliant solo sax work.
>sax
It’s a clarinet…

Also modern alt is more entertaining than hearing London Calling more than new music on a weekly basis, and I love the Clash ffs…

No, because alternative was supposed to be an alternative to bloated corporate rock bands at the time like Journey. Then alternative became the exact thing they hated.
Welp, nothing you can do about that now. Just share music and cut the superiority crap, boom alternative is good again

Back
Top Bottom