• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Mighty" dose of withdrawal

B

BrainDeadPrez

Reminds me of when KAFM-"92-K" flipped from rock to country, some 31 years ago. Didn't last for long.

Reminds me, too, of when KLIF flipped from rock to country, some 25 years ago. Didn't last for long.

Point here is that flipping from rock to country has only ever worked in two instances...when KBOX did it in 1967, and when KPLX did it in 1980 (but theirs was really elevator music instead of rock.) Twister has performed miserably since flipping from KMEO. KXOL did it in 1976, and got 9 years out of it, but AM was already a has-been by then, and not much could have saved KXOL from a slow death anyway.

In KBOX's case, they couldn't compete with KLIF anymore, and no one else was doing country 24 hours a day. KPLX happened to hit the post-Disco, pre-Urban Cowboy point in time, and it worked.

I have to believe that most folks over, say, 35, get into a routine with their listening habits, and get closed-minded about trying or wanting anything different. That's why there's only enough audience here to support one oldies station (KLUV, although KODZ, KLDD, KRQX and KIXK gave admirable shots at it.) KVIL took hits from KEGL-Sunny, but never caved. KZPS and KDBN barely survive with the classic rock audience being split in two. KSCS and KPLX have never had serious competitors (well, KYNG, but that was mainly for the teenie-bopper rednecks.)

It's kinda like Ebay. While there's zillions of items out there for sale, and billions of people buying and selling all the time, why do you think there's only one eBay, and that all its competitors have failed? I guess because it's where everybody's at, it doesn't involve a lot of choices, and it's just accepted that it's the standard. It's not great, but it's good enough.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom