• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Michael Jackson vs. Nikki Minaj

Last edited:
I have the Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (2004-ish), and at that time, Janet Jackson was about to catch up with Michael, in terms of total top 40 hits. He had had 38 up to that time, while she had logged 37. Of course, many of those tanked majorly! (Is "majorly" a word?) And one of Michael's was "Farewell, My Summer Love," which Motown reactivated in the wake of his Thriller successes. Interestingly enough, Michael gets credit for a b-side for his duet with Janet, but she does not receive similar credit. (Maybe the b-side was a Michael solo song.)

This demonstrates why the use of number of hits is such a bogus measurement for an artist's accomplishments.

Came across this Yahoo article and it's generating lots of feedback on social media.
Apparently, Nikki Minaj has dethroned Michael Jackson, based on total chart hits.
Michael Jackson has 13 #1 songs. Lots of negative comments as you could imagine!!!
https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart...inaj-tops-michael-jackson-what-211729936.html
Michael will always remain the KING OF POP in my books.
Without checking, I believe that Mariah Carey has far more than 13 #1s. I believe she has caught up with Elvis, and maybe even the Beatles as well by now. (Maybe Mariah and Minaj have something else to feud about, now!)

And I believe that Whitney Houston has had more than 13 #1s, although maybe not as many as Mariah. She at one time held the record for most consecutive #1s (seven), but interestingly enough, her string of consecutive chart-toppers was broken after she bragged about having more consecutive #1s than the Beatles, and from onstage in London, no less!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom