• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Medium wave DX from West Michigan

stormy01 said:
There is a good list of European stations here: http://mediumwave.de/, here: http://www.hermanboel.be/emwg/online-mw1.htm and here:
http://www.hermanboel.be/emwg/online-mw2.htm I also use the World Radio TV Handbook 2009 www.wrth.com If interested in purchasing the WRTH, one can have a better price from amazon.com if you can get the free shipping (may need to purchase an additional item that bumps up the total over $25.00 to get free shipping)

Thanks for those links - I was looking for a list like this for European stations. Amazed at some of the power levels used (looking at mediumwave.de). Says 1134 Croatia at 600kw - wow

Looks like Amazon is taking pre-orders for the 2010 WRTH. My '84 edition is a bit out of date :)

I noticed you didn't mention the Chicago stations ... are they pretty much locals for you?
Re: WIP, I've only heard it once but it was memorable. One summer night back in (probably) 1999 I was listening to WTVN one night in Toledo before its pattern change and in came WIP, definitely not dominant but present enough to make out an ID. Once WTVN's pattern change kicked in and its signal blasted straight north toward Toledo, I couldn't hear much else.

schmave said:
I noticed you didn't mention the Chicago stations ... are they pretty much locals for you?

I've noticed more Milwaukee stations coming through here at all times of day vs. Chicago stations. They come through as if they were locals. If I were to do a thorough bandscan then I'm sure I'd notice plenty of Chicago stations too. Those logged so far are probably of no surprise: 560 WIND, 580 WILL (Urbana, IL.), 950 WNTD & 1690 WVON (audible anytime of the day here).

We get many FM stations coming over the lake too from Wisconsin. I've been listening to 95.1 WIIL (Kenosha, WI.) in the afternoons, though I've noticed their signal has been poor the last couple of days.

kilokat7 said:
schmave said:

I've noticed more Milwaukee stations coming through here at all times of day vs. Chicago stations. They come through as if they were locals. If I were to do a thorough bandscan then I'm sure I'd notice plenty of Chicago stations too. Those logged so far are probably of no surprise: 560 WIND, 580 WILL (Urbana, IL.), 950 WNTD & 1690 WVON (audible anytime of the day here).

We get many FM stations coming over the lake too from Wisconsin. I've been listening to 95.1 WIIL (Kenosha, WI.) in the afternoons, though I've noticed their signal has been poor the last couple of days.

About 4-5 days ago there was some good Lake Michigan tropo which seems to have subsided lately.

I spent some time monitoring 790 tonight and caught some interesting stations:

CIGM (presumed), Sudbury, Ontario, 9pm EST, playing rock music, strong signal, apparently relaying an FM station (93.5 mentioned but no call heard) Also mention of something like a thousand songs in a row.

WNIS, Norfolk, VA., 11pm EST, with local weather for NC Outer Banks and surrounding areas, clear ID at top of hour, "coast to coast AM" slogan.

Most curious was a station broadcasting the NFL Titans VS Steelers game w/ "Titans Radio" & "Titans Radio dot com". Signal was poor and I never got a true ID but titansradio.com shows WQSV Ashland City, TN. as the only carrier for its broadcast on 790. According to topazdesigns.com/ambc this station runs a mere 35 watts at night. This would be a heck of a catch if accurate. I might try contacting the station through their website to confirm. The one time I heard local commercials, there was mention of a BBQ joint with a phone number matching Ashland City so I'm fairly confident I was hearing WQSV. Online stream at the station's website also has the game live.

Lastly, time pips and morse code IDs throughout the evening on 790 could be heard, I assume coming from Cuba. Also heard at least two other domestic stations but I couldn't get an ID.

kilokat7 said:

CIGM (presumed), Sudbury, Ontario, 9pm EST, playing rock music, strong signal, apparently relaying an FM station (93.5 mentioned but no call heard) Also mention of something like a thousand songs in a row.

WNIS, Norfolk, VA., 11pm EST, with local weather for NC Outer Banks and surrounding areas, clear ID at top of hour, "coast to coast AM" slogan.

Most curious was a station broadcasting the NFL Titans VS Steelers game w/ "Titans Radio" & "Titans Radio dot com". Signal was poor and I never got a true ID but titansradio.com shows WQSV Ashland City, TN. as the only carrier for its broadcast on 790. According to topazdesigns.com/ambc this station runs a mere 35 watts at night. This would be a heck of a catch if accurate. I might try contacting the station through their website to confirm. The one time I heard local commercials, there was mention of a BBQ joint with a phone number matching Ashland City so I'm fairly confident I was hearing WQSV. Online stream at the station's website also has the game live.

Lastly, time pips and morse code IDs throughout the evening on 790 could be heard, I assume coming from Cuba. Also heard at least two other domestic stations but I couldn't get an ID.

I'm surprised you didn't hear WSGW Saginaw. I've picked them up a few times in the Chicago area when WBBM turns off their IBOC.
I've also heard WNIS.

stormy01 said:
kilokat7 I saw your post and realized I made a mistake - I meant 1089 kHz, which is supposed to be TalkSport from the UK. If you were getting 1098 that could be Slovakia (or possibly Cyprus)

There is a good list of European stations here: http://mediumwave.de/, here: http://www.hermanboel.be/emwg/online-mw1.htm and here:
http://www.hermanboel.be/emwg/online-mw2.htm I also use the World Radio TV Handbook 2009 www.wrth.com If interested in purchasing the WRTH, one can have a better price from amazon.com if you can get the free shipping (may need to purchase an additional item that bumps up the total over $25.00 to get free shipping)

And possibly the list to end all lists: http://www.dxing.info/lists/

Also for Long Wave check out www.lwca.org sometimes LWCA has reports of TA (Trans-Atlantic) LW DX in their message board. Usually labelled "LWBC"

Thanks for the links, stormy. There's also this one ~> http://www.emwg.info/ It's up-to-date and covers the Euro-African LW/MW bands. (EDIT: LOL! I see it's the same site as the hermanboel.be link!)

I've also picked up my first copy of WRTH in 20 years. My old, dog eared '89 issue contains a lot of 'check marks' from my European days, my new one is already getting checks beside Carribean & South American frequencies, hopefully I can add some Europeans over 'tuning season'.

Is anyone here using a C.Crane Twin Coil? Are they good?

BG

radioman148 said:
I'm surprised you didn't hear WSGW Saginaw. I've picked them up a few times in the Chicago area when WBBM turns off their IBOC.

Here are the Chicago Bears Home Games - Bold times are afternoon/night games that might allow for DXing on 760-770-790-800.
Put that on your calendar!

Chicago Bears vs Pittsburgh Steelers
Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Detroit Lions
Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Cleveland Browns
Sunday, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Arizona Cardinals
Sunday, Nov 08, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Philadelphia Eagles
Sunday, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs St Louis Rams
Sunday, Dec 06, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Green Bay Packers
Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Minnesota Vikings
Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

Here are the Chicago Bears Home Games - Bold times are afternoon/night games that might allow for DXing on 760-770-790-800.
Put that on your calendar!

Chicago Bears vs Pittsburgh Steelers
Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Detroit Lions
Sunday, Oct 04, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Cleveland Browns
Sunday, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Arizona Cardinals
Sunday, Nov 08, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Philadelphia Eagles
Sunday, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs St Louis Rams
Sunday, Dec 06, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Green Bay Packers
Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Chicago Bears vs Minnesota Vikings
Monday, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Soldier Field
Chicago, IL

Why do they turn off IBOC for home games only?

radioman148 said:

My understanding is that the fans who are following the Play-by-Play at the game would have to contend with some sort of delay between the actual play and hearing it, which I think is between 5-10 seconds. This blog says 7 seconds: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-871580.html
Supposedly a 7-second delay must be annoying to some folks.

Obviously, for many of the Chicago teams out of town games the signal does not quite reach the stadium in other cities (unless it's Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Detroit or St. Louis, perhaps)

kilokat7 said:

I would consider WNIS a great catch since it appears the signal is not headed at all to the west/northwest towards W. Michigan, and particularly since WSGW, WKRD and WMC probably would dominate the frequency in W. Michigan and No. Illinois.

Yes, if the morse code is RR .-. .-. then it would be Radio Reloj.

WQSV was probably 'accidentally' running daytime power during a local sports event. Over the years many DX bloggers have commented that stations that are required to reduce power to a ridiculously low output at night seem to take matters in their own hands and operate at daytime power, or some power less than daytime power, but substantially more power than their authorized night power (especially when they run local sporting events, like a High School football game)

I'm sayin' it again: try recording these stations coming in using MP3 or Cassette, and play them back a few times. Sometimes what can't be understood the first few times of playback may become clear eventually after a few more plays because the mind somehow 'puts it all together'. It also helps to play the recording through something that has a tone control and/or an equalizer in the audio chain (that helps to filter out some of the noise) This method has helped me identify a few stations over the years. And how can anyone possibly remember most of what they were picking up? (at least then there's a recording to go back to) Of course, this doesn't work all the time, but it may net a few more loggings.

kilokat7 said:
Thanks for those links - I was looking for a list like this for European stations. Amazed at some of the power levels used (looking at mediumwave.de). Says 1134 Croatia at 600kw - wow

To top it off 1134 in Croatia is (bi)directional - NW/SE - so even more power is being sent to No. America than 600kW - how much I don't know. See the map of this at http://fmscan.org/ Click MW, then Frequencies For Any Location, then Choose Location (put in something like Croatia - I used Vienna, Austria)
Click on Generate Map Scroll down to 1134 HRV Glas Hrvatske Click on 1134 Click on single frequency map Then click on radio button 1000 km around Croatia You should then see the map, and the directional pattern for 1134.

Apparently football overrules the FCC.

Speaking of sports affiliates, if the Kansas City Royals are playing on the West Coast at night, I can usually receive stations on the Royals Radio Network.

stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

My understanding is that the fans who are following the Play-by-Play at the game would have to contend with some sort of delay between the actual play and hearing it, which I think is between 5-10 seconds. This blog says 7 seconds: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-871580.html

Obviously, for many of the Chicago teams out of town games the signal does not quite reach the stadium in other cities (unless it's Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Detroit or St. Louis, perhaps)

Green Bay and Indianapolis would be it, and even there the crowd noise would be so loud that one would have trouble hearing WBBM's weakened signal. The signal would be far too weak to hear at any other stadium.

schmave said:
stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

Green Bay and Indianapolis would be it, and even there the crowd noise would be so loud that one would have trouble hearing WBBM's weakened signal. The signal would be far too weak to hear at any other stadium.

If it's a night game, as was the case of that debacle on Sunday in Green Bay, you theoretically could hear WBBM in the stadium. It is often pretty strong in the Green Bay area at night - close to local grade at times. During the day, yes Green Bay and Indy would be it. But at night, more stadiums could be theoretically possible - basically any outdoor stadium in the midwest.

As for crowd noise, well it makes listening to even the strongest local station difficult. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend putting earbuds in and cranking it up. The decibel levels necessary to hear the play by play are enough to do some damage to your hearing.

BRNout said:
schmave said:
stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

If it's a night game, as was the case of that debacle on Sunday in Green Bay, you theoretically could hear WBBM in the stadium. It is often pretty strong in the Green Bay area at night - close to local grade at times. During the day, yes Green Bay and Indy would be it. But at night, more stadiums could be theoretically possible - basically any outdoor stadium in the midwest.

As for crowd noise, well it makes listening to even the strongest local station difficult. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend putting earbuds in and cranking it up. The decibel levels necessary to hear the play by play are enough to do some damage to your hearing.

I have a technique I use for listening to the radio in a loud environment. I take a pair of GOOD earplugs..put them in. (i'd have to do that at a game anyway since I'm overly sensitive to whistling and clapping and other high frequency sounds)...then after I put the earplugs in, I take a go0d pair of large headphones (like the new ones Sony has been selling for years) and plug those in. Turning the radio halway up, everything is loud and clear and 95% of the background noise is gone, and you're not damaging your hearing.

I've used that to listen to not only the game I was at, but other games going on at the same time in other cities.

If you have the money to spare, noise cancellation headphones are also pretty go0d. I tried a co-workers one time. I can't even listen to the radio outside of my office building because of traffic noise, but with the pair he had, it was all gone, I could still hear my friend talking (although very quiet) and the radio sounded great.

mimo said:
BRNout said:
schmave said:
stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

I have a technique I use for listening to the radio in a loud environment. I take a pair of GOOD earplugs..put them in. (i'd have to do that at a game anyway since I'm overly sensitive to whistling and clapping and other high frequency sounds)...then after I put the earplugs in, I take a go0d pair of large headphones (like the new ones Sony has been selling for years) and plug those in. Turning the radio halway up, everything is loud and clear and 95% of the background noise is gone, and you're not damaging your hearing.

I've used that to listen to not only the game I was at, but other games going on at the same time in other cities.

If you have the money to spare, noise cancellation headphones are also pretty go0d. I tried a co-workers one time. I can't even listen to the radio outside of my office building because of traffic noise, but with the pair he had, it was all gone, I could still hear my friend talking (although very quiet) and the radio sounded great.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a better pair of headphones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom