• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Me tv fm

I am not saying that they don't play Michael Jackson as well, but they don't play him as often as K-Hits or even WLS FM does, if you look at K-Hits' playlist for a day they have to at least play a song of his at least once per hour, with some hours of the day they might not play one of his songs.

The Marina, Outdoors Retailers, and Restaurant spots would dominate.

For the 3 months of the year they do business!

There is a sidebar that you and I understand but that does not often get mentioned. There has been a long list of folks who have enjoyed the fudge in Traverse City, the Beaches in St Croix or the atmosphere in Santa Fe who thought it would be cool to own a radio station in one of those places.

But they don't get the fact that tourist economies don't support local radio much, and when the economy is seasonal, you are running one spot an hour for most of the year and barely recover in the "season".

The USVI and Key West are graveyards of lost fortunes... the real Pirates of the Caribbean!

I think that this would be a good fit in areas where there are a lot of retirees, like Florida, Arizona, and Northern Michigan, and where formats like MOYL, Stardust, and similar formats did well. #1 55+ in Leelanau and Benzie Counties, but reviled by Traverse City Hipsters, right David? The Marina, Outdoors Retailers, and Restaurant spots would dominate.

Also a good fit in many Rust Belt markets where many of the younger folks have moved away, leaving a much older average age for the remaining population. Local merchants and services have to know that they need the 45 and older group, as that is the largest one remaining in many such cities... Flint, Utica, Springield, MA, Scranton, Youngstown and many more such markets could do well with such a station.

Well, there's Hunting, Fishing, Golf, and Skiing also. When you spent time in NW MI, were there any Hipsters? And all those communities you mentioned and more are trying to become College Towns. And what's left of the towns are attracting Hipsters, and Gentrification. Devastated torn down factory and housing areas but also nearby new growth. Also, areas developing around Hospitals and new Medical Schools and creating areas like around Case Western and the Cleveland Clinic.

Personally, I'd love to see MeTV FM on 50/25 U4 WFDF 910, and an FM translator. I think it could draw some decent ratings, plus the Rust Belter mechant ad revenue which is similar to the Chicago upper age demos who worked for Zenith and such industries.

Last edited:
Well, there's Hunting, Fishing, Golf, and Skiing also. When you spent time in NW MI, were there any Hipsters?

The hipsters are a new phenomenon. In Omena, the Sinclair station let you pour a free cup of coffee while they gassed you up and checked the oil. Now, you go to Traverse City and get some kind of coffee with a made-up name that costs $5.25.

And all those communities you mentioned and more are trying to become College Towns. And what's left of the towns are attracting Hipsters, and Gentrification. Devastated torn down factory and housing areas but also nearby new growth. Also, areas developing around Hospitals and new Medical Schools and creating areas like around Case Western and the Cleveland Clinic.

But still, the Cleveland metro is shrinking and the city itself has huge areas of empty lots and abandoned homes. There are a couple of Renaissance zones, but much of the city is decrepit. Homes in Shaker Heights, the traditional "best" of Cleveland, have declined in price over the most recent decades. The same happens in less affluent zones, meaning retirees have lost precious equity and can't consider moving to a nicer climate now.

Personally, I'd love to see MeTV FM on 50/25 U4 WFDF 910, and an FM translator. I think it could draw some decent ratings, plus the Rust Belter mechant ad revenue which is similar to the Chicago upper age demos who worked for Zenith and such industries.

That's a perfect kind of market for that sort of format. The market is less attractive to national chains, and local merchants will find it works. The only issue I have with the format is that there is a lot of very secondary music on it.

That's a perfect kind of market for that sort of format. The market is less attractive to national chains, and local merchants will find it works. The only issue I have with the format is that there is a lot of very secondary music on it.

But if local merchants are willing to back the station and it can pull a 1.5-2.5 largely from people who remember all that "very secondary" music, then why should a major market programmer like you care what the playlist looks like? It's not like ratings and revenue would shoot through the roof if all the "bad songs" were dropped and replaced by tried-and-tested favorites, right?

But if local merchants are willing to back the station and it can pull a 1.5-2.5 largely from people who remember all that "very secondary" music, then why should a major market programmer like you care what the playlist looks like? It's not like ratings and revenue would shoot through the roof if all the "bad songs" were dropped and replaced by tried-and-tested favorites, right?

Bad songs and weak songs shorten TSL, and sometimes even make listeners not desire to return to a station.

Lower TSL and potentially lower cume means less response by listeners to advertising as the message reaches fewer people.

Local advertisers in large markets know that they are paying for a lot of coverage that represents areas too far from the business or service to be useful. So a station has to have enough listeners in the immediate area of a store or a roofer or an insurance agent for the advertising to produce a good ROI.

Maybe it's because of my age, but when I traveled in the Benton Harbor-Gary-Chicago-Kenosha-Racine Area a few months ago, I heard very few "bad songs" on the MeTV FM Format. Every once in a while, there was a tune out song for me, but not often. Then I would listen to Dave Magnum's WRJN and its translators, or Larry Langford's WGTO and its translator, which have similar formats. But most areas have essentially abandoned that demographic.

Looks like Envision networks has a deal to syndicate ME-FM (TV). Will see what happens. They have done a great job with the TV side. Let's see if they can bring that magic to radio (with the resources of Envision). I think it would be great if they could tie in the local TV affiliation with the local radio affiliate. The a great job branding the TV side (with local inserts) in our market.

Funny how my experience about MeTV-FM is just the opposite. Perhaps I hit them at a bad time. But far too many titles I simply didn't care about hearing again. Maybe one out of five.

What I tune out depends on my mood, and whether family members are riding along. If they liked a track and I was lukewarm, I'd sometimes let a track keep playing. Sometimes, the competition wasn't playing anything decent, and I'd come back. But I was amazed at how varied a playlist could be without really objectionable tracks. There apparently must be a bunch of tracks that would "test well" if they actually tested them.

Last edited:
I've not heard MeTV's FM, but I can see the co-branding opportunity at least in some markets. I don't see how they win with a playlist for music geeks. We have a station in Knoxville that I've tried hard to like, but the obscure early 60s dreck along with obscure early 60s country doesn't quite work for me.

What exactly is this TV station doing about those educational programming requirements?

I've not heard MeTV's FM, but I can see the co-branding opportunity at least in some markets. I don't see how they win with a playlist for music geeks. We have a station in Knoxville that I've tried hard to like, but the obscure early 60s dreck along with obscure early 60s country doesn't quite work for me.

What exactly is this TV station doing about those educational programming requirements?

Playing songs like "ABC," "The Battle of New Orleans," "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and maybe "The Birds and the Bees"?

You might have hit them at a bad time but try to keep listening next time you are in town, maybe they will play something you will like

Looks like Envision networks has a deal to syndicate ME-FM (TV).

The thing to know is there are quite a few of these formats in syndication, and most have very popular talent associated with them. One that people may have heard is Tom Kent. I feel he does a great job with this format, sounds contemporary, knowledgeable, entertaining, and has well researched music. We all know that this format benefits from quality talent. The audience expects it. So this MeTV format has to compete against folks like Tom and others who have solid track records that demonstrate results. Not sure this station has any sellable results yet.

Funny how my experience about MeTV-FM is just the opposite. Perhaps I hit them at a bad time. But far too many titles I simply didn't care about hearing again. Maybe one out of five.

Bingo! Me too. I'd say 80% of what they play I either like, or I'll so so far as to say makes sense with the format. I like deep. I even like the occasional album track. But as for those album cuts, give me something from an album that was a true classic that stood the test of time. Not some obscure "bringdown" track from Rita Coolidge, Michael Murphy, or some other 70s-ish act that left us with a few memorable moments as well as some now-forgotten albums.

It'll take a certain method of selling and, as others have noted, is only likely to be utilized in certain markets. Still, it's another revenue stream for Weigel and remarkable that they've managed to draw as many ears to the pseudo radio station as they have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom