• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MaxxKonnect for STL

Oddly, in one TX STL, I found that lowering the bit rate by using a lossy codec like mp3 or AAC can make dropped packet issues audibly worse because each packet contains a higher ratio of data, so one dropped packet is harder to handle. Experimentally, I ran it up to lossless 24/48 PCM stereo, and that's what worked the best. But when we got to MK, the lower stream bandwidth was the winner. It dropped fewer packets than the AT&T fiber! And the lower bandwidth saves money.
I wouldn't recommend using a codec that is equivalent to mp3 with a digital audio processor. The dueling algorithms will cause the audio to sound horrible.

The AAC codec is far more efficient than mp3, and doesn't beat up the audio badly at all. If you're dealing with a bandwidth limitation, it's a very good option. I recognize the dueling algorthims issue. However, it's all a trade-off. You have to pick what you want to optimize. For a backup STL, if you're going to be on it a while, lower bandwidth wins. And, frankly, we're already cascading codecs everywhere anyway. Nice if you can avoid it, but it's probably happening a lot.

The AAC codec is far more efficient than mp3, and doesn't beat up the audio badly at all. If you're dealing with a bandwidth limitation, it's a very good option. I recognize the dueling algorthims issue. However, it's all a trade-off. You have to pick what you want to optimize. For a backup STL, if you're going to be on it a while, lower bandwidth wins. And, frankly, we're already cascading codecs everywhere anyway. Nice if you can avoid it, but it's probably happening a lot.

We're feeding KSKC and KSKP with 48K AAC because 128Kmp3 would bust our daily data allotment with hughesnet, which is all that was available when we built them out.

I wouldnt say its great but its decent.. and its better than no radio at all.

Here's the feed:

We are in a golden age for audio. Because of digital audio and the Internet we can bring our audience better sound than ever before.
Sidebar: you make me remember my first "STL" for my station in Ecuador in 1964. We had the output of our Gates "Yard" board and the Audimax run into a PA amplifier. That fed about 6 km of fence wire! The tin coated steel wire was strung of 2cm square 24cm long pieces of wood with an insulator screwed to each end. The wood bars were mounted with tensioned wire of the same kind around utility posts, running all the way to the site ant which the audio was restored to 600 to feed the Volumax and the rig.

The open wire line had two wood bars every 10 pole so we could flip top and bottom.

I moved to a low power FM link after a year of that! Competitors would periodically cut off a block or two of wire, knocking us off the air until I drove to the location with a ladder and replaced the missing wire.

That is great David.

Old technology is interesting in its simplicity and ability to be durable and cost effective with no licensing cost.

****space for reading between the lines****

David, it is very tempting to ponder ways of implementing what you described, in the situation you were in.
The various ways to implement balanced type lines, vs unbalanced. And how a ground return might work. As we know, what works fine a DC, or 60 Hertz may not work well if an electromagnetic field is present.

As I recall Scott Fybush and other sources report, a Las Vegas market transmitter site uses one wire to convey primary electric power up the mountain road. The electrical path is completed by Mother Earth. Electrically, you might say the site is a 24/7 low level lightning strike. I am not saying the site is a a hazard, because engineered correctly it is perfectly safe.

However, at transmitter sites and even around the house, apparently benign "neutral" or "ground" current flow can cause hum, or kill you. And voltage drop to "earth ground" does not happen in one inch, even on the ground.

Safety first, eyes wide open.

Last edited:
As I recall Scott Fybush and other sources report, a Las Vegas market transmitter site uses one wire to convey primary electric power up the mountain road. The electrical path is completed by Mother Earth. Electrically, you might say the site is a 24/7 low level lightning strike.
When you think about it, most higher power transmitters or machines that use split phase or three phase power don't even use a neutral, just building ground. And go back to the transformer pad or utility pole and where is the neutral made? A ground stake at the pole or transformer.
However, at transmitter sites and even around the house, apparently benign "neutral" or "ground" current flow can cause hum, or kill you. And voltage drop to "earth ground" does not happen in one inch, even on the ground.
That's the case with any poor ground. Where you get 60hz buzz or hum is from ground loops.

Back
Top Bottom