• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mass Broadcasters Hall of Fame Luncheon Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tilden

The MBHF September luncheon has been put off until October.
Wonder if it this was done to fit the schedule of Tom Bergeron who is the new host?
Shame on the MBHF for pushing WBZ's Jordan Rich aside for Bergeron.
Without Jordan Rich's effort to publicize the Mass Broadcasters Hall of Fame when he had his weekend show MBHF would be just a second stringer, backwater effort of Bridgewater State College.
Another example that no good deed goes unpunished.

I am not disagreeing with your post but Tom Bergeron has hosted the luncheon in the past. And a minor point, the Hall is an effort of Massasoit Community College..

I am not disagreeing with your post but Tom Bergeron has hosted the luncheon in the past. And a minor point, the Hall is an effort of Massasoit Community College..

Thanks for the correction. It is Masasasoit Community College. Don't know when Bergeron hosted the luncheon. Think I have been to all of them and Jordan has been the host. Like Tom Bergeron and he was honored by the MBHF a few years ago. He is almost as funny as the late great Jess Cain but not quite. Still, the MBHF owes Jordan Rich more than they could ever pay them...if they do pay them. Also, I believe it is his company,Chart Productions, tapes the entire luncheon for the various cable outlets and Massasoit.

Last edited:
The ingrates at Massasoit JUNIOR College and the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame announced the date of the next luncheon.

Anyone with a sense of decency may choose to strike the upcoming MBHF Luncheon from their schedule for the slap in the face they gave to Jordan Rich.

Perhaps, if they have to eat the cost of the upcoming Luncheon a lesson will be learned by these ingrates.

I worked with Tom Bergeron at WBZ-TV 4, back in 1984-85. He was then the host of People Are Talking. He was
a great guy, and a terrific choice to host this event. A local boy, who has made good!

The ingrates at Massasoit JUNIOR College and the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame announced the date of the next luncheon.

Anyone with a sense of decency may choose to strike the upcoming MBHF Luncheon from their schedule for the slap in the face they gave to Jordan Rich.

What's with you? Nobody is slapping anyone. Jordan is a great talent. There are more luncheons to come...maybe next year.

Not everyone gets chosen. Maybe he was asked and declined (some do, you know). Jordan's life has changed as of late.

Jordan was "asked" to step aside for the Haverhill Flash. Jordan Rich put MBHF on the map.
Proves once again that no good deed goes unpunished.
Anyone who appreciates what Jordan Rich has done for this ungrateful crew should bypass this year's luncheon.

My conversations with Jordan over the years has shown that he is less and less interested in things such as this....so I don't believe you are correct.

Anyway, the event is not about one person....and bypassing it would be a disservice to the honorees this year.

Not True

My conversations with Jordan over the years has shown that he is less and less interested in things such as this....so I don't believe you are correct.

Anyway, the event is not about one person....and bypassing it would be a disservice to the honorees this year.

Direct recent conversations with J R it was handled badly.

Economic consequences are appropriate.

Awards handed out to a half empty room might teach these ingrates a lesson.

Discussion over on this end.

Last edited:
Let's not be petty, it's not about oneperson.

Economic consequences are appropriate.

Awards handed out to a half empty room might teach these ingrates a lesson.

Knowing Jordan, he wouldn't say a word if it was.

Second, doing a disservice to this years roster of honorees to prove some point...would be petty.

Filling the room to recognize the honorees and putting aside petty bickering would be appropriate.

Also, knowing Jordan, he would not be in favor of your little tirade.

Let's see. We have an event, and an organization, that is rapidly approaching "the side of milk cartons" marketing stage, so the smart move is to boycott the national talent with the sky-high Q score out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to a popular local talent whom exactly nobody but the hard-core radionistas would walk across their driveway to see? I like JR as much as the next guy, but business is business, and nobody knows that more than JR.

Asking JR to step aside may have been handled 'badly', assuming it was handled badly, or at all, but since absolutely nobody but deep inside media professionals knows about it, does it really matter? It certainly isn't going to reflect badly, or have any influence of Rich's career or business.

Regards,
TSB

Let's just look where this Junior College event would be without the skilled hand of Jordan Rich to guide and nurture it....back in the seedy auditorium of Massasoit Junior College. JR breathed life into this floundering organization and where was Tom Bergeron? No where to be found except hosting some juvenile reality show.

Again, those who defend this slap in the face to one of the nicest people in the business need to see if they have a pulse because they are certainly cold blooded.

Loyalty or the lack thereof is measure of ones ethical standing. It is evident where some of these posters stand in that spectrum.

As to Jordan Rich I would not expect him to do anything other than to take the high road he is taking. However, that will not stop some of us who know him to express our disgust in the MBHF rank action. He would probably want us to stop. Sorry, the answer to that request would be no.

Empty chairs at the October luncheon will speak volumes that a grave disservice to JR was made.

And this IS my last post or response on this topic.

Last edited:
Misplaced energy

Loyalty or the lack thereof is measure of ones ethical standing. It is evident where some of these posters stand in that spectrum.

I thought you were done commenting on this thread....especially after it's been pointed out to you what a stupid idea it is to try to sabotage an event meant to honor some very good people in this industry.

You are like the skunk at the garden party, who wants to stink up the place because the hor d'oeuvres were not what he wanted.

You always seem to be on some kind of crusade...trying to right some implied wrongs, aren't you? To show the rest of the world how you think things should be?

Misplaced at best.

........Let's just look where this Junior College event would be without the skilled hand of Jordan Rich to guide and nurture it....

I'd bet that Rich's idea wasn't that his 'skilled hand' would keep the show obscure and 'small time'. In fact, the very use of the word 'nuture' indicates that even you realize that future growth was part of the plan. Or do you think that when Rich was breathing "life into this floundering organization" that his goal was to become the perpetual host of its signature event?

......JR breathed life into this floundering organization and where was Tom Bergeron? No where to be found except hosting some juvenile reality show........

This could be one of your silliest remarks ever, and that bar is already set pretty high.

And, why do you think this is a zero-sum game? Bergeron doesn't have to suck at what he does for Rich to be good at what he does. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but while Bergeron was out becoming the best at what he does, hosting and MCing, Rich was out becoming another replaceable part-time cog in the Boston big radio machine. And you can denigrate what Bergeron does all you want, but if you think that Rich was doing the radio version of MacBeth every weekend, you are delusional.

.....Again, those who defend this slap in the face to one of the nicest people in the business need to see if they have a pulse because they are certainly cold blooded........

Nice has nothing to do with it. Is this a hard concept to understand?

.....Loyalty or the lack thereof is measure of ones ethical standing.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That some folks decided that Jordan Rich wasn't the hill they wanted to die on doesn't necessarily make them unethical. Some day, a research drone at one of the networks will report that Bergeron no longer appeals to the desired demo, and he'll be doing dinner theater in Phoenix or opening at the North Shore Music Circus. Nothing personal, it just the way it is.

........ It is evident where some of these posters stand in that spectrum......

How so? I could just as easily make the case that someone tasked with giving the organization and the awards the widest possible exposure and broadest appeal who DIDN'T go with the finest talent available out of some obligation to a pal was being negligent at best and unethical at worst.

.......As to Jordan Rich I would not expect him to do anything other than to take the high road he is taking. However, that will not stop some of us who know him to express our disgust in the MBHF rank action. He would probably want us to stop. Sorry, the answer to that request would be no.........

That reads like your nomination paper for the Massachusetts Self-Righteousness Hall of Fame awards.

Regards,
TSB

Saw the price. Jeeves, do put this one on my expense account...Quite.

$75.00/ Ticket. What are they paying Tom Bergeron. Certainly not getting a $75.00 lunch at the Marriott. Small inferior chicken and cold veggies, cold coffee and overpriced bar. Better food at Lombardo's.

don't complain....

$75.00/ Ticket. What are they paying Tom Bergeron. Certainly not getting a $75.00 lunch at the Marriott. Small inferior chicken and cold veggies, cold coffee and overpriced bar. Better food at Lombardo's.

You don't have to complain...because you won't be attending, remember?

Brilliant observation Sherlock.
Don't support ingrates.
Again, hope MBHF has to eat the cost of the over priced lunch. Don't choke on the chicken bones. Probably no one bright enough there to know Heimlich.....šŸ˜Š.Trust that is not true. Marriott staff must be trained to save their customers from their less than average food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom