• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mary Travers

You know how some things you encounter in your childhood you never forget...I was home from school sick watching the Today show with Dave Garroway I'm guessing in 1963 when he introduced Peter, Paul and Mary and they sang (I believe) If I Had A Hammer...I was so enamored with them, I became an instant and enduring fan...Mary will certainly be missed.

radiobop said:
You know how some things you encounter in your childhood you never forget...I was home from school sick watching the Today show with Dave Garroway I'm guessing in 1963 when he introduced Peter, Paul and Mary and they sang (I believe) If I Had A Hammer...I was so enamored with them, I became an instant and enduring fan...Mary will certainly be missed.

They were great. I don't believe they ever recorded anything that I didn't like.

radioman148 said:
radiobop said:

They were great. I don't believe they ever recorded anything that I didn't like.

With all due respect to Ms. Travers, did you REALLY like "Puff The Magic Dragon"?

In a word: Yes! Everyone always thought the song was about drugs, which it wasn't! Mary you will be sorely missed by many many people all over the world. Rest well dear one!

RadioStarOne said:
In a word: Yes! Everyone always thought the song was about drugs, which it wasn't! Mary you will be sorely missed by many many people all over the world. Rest well dear one!

Then "Puff" must have been a children's song that crossed over to the Pop market. Nothing wrong with that. Gene Autry did it with "Rudolph" and "Peter Cottontail".

TheFonz said:
radioman148 said:
radiobop said:

With all due respect to Ms. Travers, did you REALLY like "Puff The Magic Dragon"?

I didn't like "Puff" as much as some of their other stuff, but I still liked it.

radioman148 said:
radiobop said:

Amen, Amen, Amen.......I am a 63 yr old, who also was enamored the first time I ever heard the group, Wow, those three sweet voices, I just love everything they ever recorded. If you ask me cold turkey, Quickly, PPM I would yell out "Puff The Magic Dragon" not their biggest hit, but certainly their signature song. I love "Stewball", "The Cruel War", "For Lovin Me"," Early Morning Rain" and many more. Gosh they were great.

hornet61 said:
radioman148 said:
radiobop said:

Amen, Amen, Amen.......I am a 63 yr old, who also was enamored the first time I ever heard the group, Wow, those three sweet voices, I just love everything they ever recorded. If you ask me cold turkey, Quickly, PPM I would yell out "Puff The Magic Dragon" not their biggest hit, but certainly their signature song. I love "Stewball", "The Cruel War", "For Lovin Me"," Early Morning Rain" and many more. Gosh they were great.

They were great!

While not a true holiday tune, PP&M did a fine version of "The Marvelous Toy" that would fit nicely IMHO on any list of Christmas music.
I'm a bit suprised no one has mentioned Ms Travers' solo efforts of five albums and her modestly sucessful single, "Follow Me."

The guy who wrote Puff wound up owning a company north of San Francisco that I used to do some business with a few years back. Knowing what I know (and I don't claim to be expert), I seriously doubt that drugs had anything to do with the song.

As for Mary Travers....a huge, huge, loss. Even when she wasn't singing lead, she "made" so many of the PPM songs. I especially enjoyed her work on the Gordon Lightfoot covers. ... "For Lovin' Me" and "Early Morning Rain". Also thought she was fabulous on "Too Much of Nothing"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom