• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Market size dropped from 19 to 20

Butters

Inactive
Inactive User
Did anyone else notice that Tampa - St. Petersburg went from the rank of 19 to 20 on here? What happen did Homeland Security deport a bunch of illegals in southern Hillsborough County?

This from according to Inside Radio last week

Denver passes Tampa in new Arbitron rankings.

Eight of radio’s top 50 markets change positions in Arbitron’s revised metro rankings for fall 2010. With a 12+ population increase of 55,000, Denver moves up one position to #19, trading places with Tampa. Three other top 50 markets rank one position higher in the new report: San Jose (to #34), Austin (#37) and Oklahoma City (#47).

Butters said:
Did anyone else notice that Tampa - St. Petersburg went from the rank of 19 to 20 on here? What happen did Homeland Security deport a bunch of illegals in southern Hillsborough County?
Tea Party or maybe it is Todd Schnitt not in good graces with census bureau? Considering ACORN, maybe I am not LOL.

ACORN is defunct so maybe their staff left town for leftie Austin TX .

Or else the results from the election scared alot of people out of here. :eek: "Let's get to work." ;D

The Tampa/St. Pete area isn't as appealing to folks as it used to be. Pinellas county has seen a considerable drop in population over the past 4 or 5 years. The population growth outside of Pinellas county is starting to drop off finally too...

People are leaving the Tampa Bay area and to some extent, the entire State.
The cost of living is high. Insurance is expensive. Food prices are high. Electricity is outrageously expensive.
Florida was, at one time, a cheap place to live. No longer.
When I took early retirement from FOX13, I moved to Michigan. The Winters here are tough but the cost of living is far, far less.
I may decide to become a Snowbird and return to Tampa Bay for a few months over the Winter. I do miss my friends in Tampa.

Bye, bye, don't let the door hit you in the a$% as you head up I-75, I-95. I've been in Florida since 1972. We had 4 million people in a very nice, quiet state. 40 years later, we have a mess. 15 million transplants, poor media, bad schools, etc...

I hope we become market #42 soon....

vadar said:
Bye, bye, don't let the door hit you in the a$% as you head up I-75, I-95. I've been in Florida since 1972. We had 4 million people in a very nice, quiet state. 40 years later, we have a mess. 15 million transplants, poor media, bad schools, etc...

I hope we become market #42 soon....

You're exactly correct. When I moved to Florida in 1965, it was a nice and inexpensive place to live. Now .... too many people. The increase in population has stressed the resources. It's also caused the cost of living to skyrocket.

frankberry said:
You're exactly correct. When I moved to Florida in 1965, it was a nice and inexpensive place to live. Now .... too many people. The increase in population has stressed the resources. It's also caused the cost of living to skyrocket.

Yep, all of us transplants should get the hell out.

We should go back north where the manners are better, the people speak English (Not Spanish, Creole, or Redneck-ese), the roads get fixed regularly, the schools turn out competent citizens and not meth-heads, and where child molestors stay in prison and not in the community on some honor system.

In fact, we should not only leave, we should vacation elsewhere so your state budget is no longer tainted by the money we pay in tourism taxes. With no vacationers, the demand for hotel rooms will be low and you Thonotossasans can finally afford a room at the Seminole Hard Rock for a weekend getaway down I-75.

While we're at it... let's get rid off all those transplants brought by larger employers like the Tech industries. We don't want high-paying job oppurtunities, nor the glory of hosting innovative enterprises. So glad all those Space-industry contractors are up and leaving, finally, now that annoyingly loud Space Shuttle is being retired.

Next hurricane strike, we'll make sure to keep the federal help out too. Damn FEMA and their excavators and shelters.

The fact is... the state wouldn't function without us non-natives. You people don't generate enough revenue on your own to keep your own state going.

"you people"? We did just fine in the 60's, 70's before all the obnoxious Northerners came here and made "it better". Oh yeah, they did wonders for the radio market too....

I've been here since 1957... and if you want someone or something to blame for the growth.... AIR CONDITIONING....
Nobody had it then, but there weren't tall buildings all over to stop the sea breezes from getting even to the interior of the state, and there wasn't as much concrete and asphalt either... seems we all survived then too... I'm sure the area didn't make the top 50 back then either...

1957, 1962, 1972... you bitter old farts need a nursing home to do your complaining. Surrender your drivers licenses too, that'll free up space on the street.

Still got my FCC License back when you had to take a test and apply for one. Back when radio meant something. I'm not an old fart, well 42 better not make me old. AC killed this state, now go home Yankee..... :D

vadar said:
Still got my FCC License back when you had to take a test and apply for one. Back when radio meant something. I'm not an old fart, well 42 better not make me old. AC killed this state, now go home Yankee..... :D

Haha FCC License, hey I remember those.....wait um, now im showing my age.

Tampa market didn't drop population. Denver gained more than Tampa to move ahead.

Remember, Sa-ra-so-ta!/Bradenton is not figured into it. It moves ahead when we are.

Probably heart attacks due to the changes to the Dove....

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Florida was a Ponzi scheme that made Bernie Madoff look like a piker. We all bought the lie that growth would pay for itself. Yeah, pass me the Kool Aid, Mr. Hughes.

Hello Mike..We like Kool Aid here at the home. The nurse brings it and shines that light in our faces until we finish it all. You know..that light.

WWBA AM 680.."When flashing..news is on"

"It's 7:21 at WLCY..the Great 138..a good time to buy a Chick Smith Ford"

"..on your 1250 Skyyyyyy Patrol"

"86 WAZE Clearwater Beach..Ladies and Gentlemen..Jonathon Apple"

"Get your news on the 'QT'..WWQT 1470 Dunnedin/Clearwater..Hide your money everyone..it's time now for the Bob Snyder show"

"Sun Country..62/WSUN a broadcast service of Shering/Plough"

"1050-AM WHBO Tampa..the Country Hobo"

"1010 WINQ Brandon/Tampa..time for Trade-E-O"

"91/WPLA Plant City..Here's Al Berry with Community Corner"

"1550 WYOU Tampa..now here's Gordon Solie with the Country All-Star Jambouree"

"Disco 54!..WGTO Cypress Gardens.."

"1430 WQPD Lakeland..with BIG George McGovern"

Hey what's wrong with this radio? Nurse?

Me and my bed pan, we got a real good thing...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Isn't Florida tax-free? (For now, anyway.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom