• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mark Garrison - another stain on the WBT legacy

Really? I've always had a positive opinion of him but I haven't heard him lately. I think I was still hearing him do news when Rush was still on. But on the TV station he was always pleasant and did "Carolina Camera".

That's about what I'd expect from that station. Fired, no they were all probably high five-ing each other. Nobody will be fired until there is a public demanding it. That won't happen with the MAGA audience. They love stuff like that.

As for legacy that's long gone. Too many new people have moved here who don't know anything about WBT. Not a clue.

That's about what I'd expect from that station. Fired, no they were all probably high five-ing each other. Nobody will be fired until there is a public demanding it. That won't happen with the MAGA audience. They love stuff like that.

As for legacy that's long gone. Too many new people have moved here who don't know anything about WBT. Not a clue.
Beyond that, a station depends on people who listen today and who might listen tomorrow. History and image have no bearing on this and a station is judged on the "right now". Radio stations are not museums.

Beyond that, a station depends on people who listen today and who might listen tomorrow. History and image have no bearing on this and a station is judged on the "right now". Radio stations are not museums.
Yes...but. If enough people are still around, there is such a thing as legacy. Problem is many new people have moved here long after WBT's golden years.

It's alsø literally the only AM station Charlotte has left other than weaker religious and ethnic stations. So most never think of going to AM.

Last edited:
Really? I've always had a positive opinion of him but I haven't heard him lately. I think I was still hearing him do news when Rush was still on. But on the TV station he was always pleasant and did "Carolina Camera".
I have always found Mark Garrison pleasant and appealing, with his down home, folksy method of storytelling. Sort of a Charles Kuralt style from his Carolina Camera days on WBTV to his extended reporting on WBT today.

As for the interview with the press secretary, I thought his questions were appropriate considering ongoing concerns regarding Biden's competence and age related issues. Most mainstream media has been afraid to ask. And indeed most of us remain frustrated with the price of gas and groceries. But would they ask hard questions regarding Trump's legal issues? That is the concern. If they try to be fair and balanced in their news reporting, I have no complaint.

As for their talk show hosts, that is opinionated programming for entertainment purposes, so as long as they maintain a distinction between their opinion based programs and their news reporting, I do not complain. Disagree yes, but not necessarily complain. Vince Coakley seems a sincere conservative and Christian man who mostly maintains a professional demeanor and does not sensationalize with right wing conspiracy speech to the degree of other hosts, and I will give him credit for criticizing Trump's antics.

But perhaps one of their programs should add a more liberal conterpoint host for a more balanced perspective. Maybe an updated version of the old Jerry Klein program they had back in the day. Or bring back a Hello Henry type program, the friendly everyman host where all views were welcome, with no inherent political bias. I miss the days of Henry Boggan on WBT.

As for their talk show hosts, that is opinionated programming for entertainment purposes, so as long as they maintain a distinction between their opinion based programs and their news reporting, I do not complain. Disagree yes, but not necessarily complain. Vince Coakley seems a sincere conservative and Christian man who mostly maintains a professional demeanor and does not sensationalize with right wing conspiracy speech to the degree of other hosts, and I will give him credit for criticizing Trump's antics.
And that, my friend, is why Coakley was taken off WYRD. He’s way too sane for that looney bin.

And that, my friend, is why Coakley was taken off WYRD. He’s way too sane for that looney bin.
On a related note, WYRD has managed to displace AC from its market, after taking over the former AC frequency. For now, WLNK and other out-of-market stations are all there is.

On a related note, WYRD has managed to displace AC from its market, after taking over the former AC frequency. For now, WLNK and other out-of-market stations are all there is.
Good luck getting WLNK with all of the translators and LPFM. GSP went from two AC’s to zero in less than 5 years. It’s a massive hole - 2 country stations, 3 rock stations, a CHR and rhythmic CHR, 3 urban stations, but no AC. Unlike Charlotte the adult hits station in Greenville is more like a classic rock station. Just very unfortunate.

Good luck getting WLNK with all of the translators and LPFM. GSP went from two AC’s to zero in less than 5 years. It’s a massive hole - 2 country stations, 3 rock stations, a CHR and rhythmic CHR, 3 urban stations, but no AC. Unlike Charlotte the adult hits station in Greenville is more like a classic rock station. Just very unfortunate.
WLNK can be heard in Spartanburg and Laurens counties. But unfortunately translators and a LPFM now interfere with clear reception in most areas of Greenville County, where it used to come in clear. Although when I lived in Mauldin I could pull it in with rabbit ears on my home radio, but car reception is now problematic.

Back
Top Bottom