• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Marian Trace Alpha Sound Card compatibility with 64 bit

Reading through these threads has been a wealth of information for me. I've got a question about the Marian Trace sound card. I've read glowing reviews about this card for webcasting hobbyists. I was about to pull the trigger when I saw complaints on Marian's forum about no updated drivers to operate in a 64 bit OS environment. I've got a computer on the way with Windows 7, 64 bit. I don't want to waste the RAM I've paid for by operating in 32.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? According to the Marian site, updated drivers are supposed to be released in the 1st quarter of 2011. But apparently, they've promised and pushed back dates for driver updates before. If that's the case, this may not be a company I want to order from anyway. So if not a Marian Trace Alpha, then what?

What's the latest on favorite sound cards? Lynx? Juli@?

Thanks for your insights.

thank you for introducing some of us to a brand that was not on our radar screen.

Through what channel do people buy these cards? Are they available at retail? Through the mail order catalogs? And what is the pricing? The corporate site was quoting prices in Euros. What is the "street price" in U.S. dollars?

Their corporate website "talks a good story". What will one of their cards do for me that M-Audio and others we are familiar with will NOT do?

Goat Rodeo Cowboy, I had never heard of it myself before reading the Breakaway Processing forum. These are guys who are really into webcasting, so I'd think they have tried lots of gear specifically designed for streaming. I was happy to find a card so many agreed upon.

The Euro price for that card is 149. Today's currency rate puts it at $195.20.

As to what it will do that other's will not....I can't answer. So....

...bring me back to my broadcasting roots. I've had my fling, looking at exotic computer components from across the seas. How about moderately-priced card that engineers might say "yeah, that's a good card for music." Many streams sound harsh to my ears and I can't listen for long. I've got uncompressed wavs that I'd like to give a fighting chance before the encoder squashes the audio.

I've brought up audio processing for streaming in another thread. That's another can of worms I won't open right now. :)

We all have different reasons for choosing a particular sound card. In broadcasting or streaming I assume that reliable and predictable behavior is a key factor. You don't want a card that causes the computer to get hung-up and turning comatose.

If recording live musicians, you want a quality card that creates an original digital file that is true and faithful. If the original digitizing process is flawed, no processor, no editor, no codec, no sound card can ever cure the flaw.

The fact that this Marian Trace cards can apparently play nice with balanced ins and outs is a good feature.

Let me throw this one brain-teaser your way. Whether you create original files via live recording, or you rip files from existing CDs, or you simply buy a hard drive already filled with music someone else has collected, processed and edited, you eventually would find yourself streaming audio material that lives on your hard drive. At this point I would debate that the quality of a sound card has nothing to contribute and detract from your streaming process. In fact, though I have not operated a streaming source, I think you could set up a computer to do your streaming that did not have a sound card installed. The sound card in our computers comes into play when we need to take some analog material and digitize it so it goes onto our hard drive, or when we have digital material either coming from our own hard drive and from some Internet stream that we want to convert into analog signal so our speakers or headphones can reproduce the sound.

I think the codecs and protcols (mp3, aac, etc) make or break a streaming operation. I take recordings of live speech and "process" these recordings for podcasting. The originals have a lot of dynamic range, which is fine for the live audience in the room at the time, but if you are listening to a CD in your car or and mp3 player while walking or jogging, it is a good thing if the dynamic range is made much narrower. That editing process is where perfectly delightful audio material suddenly becomes jagged, harsh, hollow or otherwise degraded. And the soundcard is not the culprit. The content becomes the victim of computer processes that equalize, normalize, denoise, compress, limit and de-ess the original recording. And whether I have a $15 bargain sound card from the big box store, or a $1,500 boutique soundcard with gold plated jacks and plugs has little to do with the sound of the processed material. The editing software is VERY CRITICAL to process.

But like you, I want the very best card my budget will permit! Thanks for the heads-up on the Marian Trace cards.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
At this point I would debate that the quality of a sound card has nothing to contribute and detract from your streaming process. In fact, though I have not operated a streaming source, I think you could set up a computer to do your streaming that did not have a sound card installed. The sound card in our computers comes into play when we need to take some analog material and digitize it so it goes onto our hard drive, or when we have digital material either coming from our own hard drive and from some Internet stream that we want to convert into analog signal so our speakers or headphones can reproduce the sound.

Yes, I think you're right. If I'm not mistaken, if you originate the stream out of the computer itself, I don't think a sound card makes a difference. If you route the audio from the computer to something like a Barix encoder, it seems that issue would come into play.

I take recordings of live speech and "process" these recordings for podcasting. The originals have a lot of dynamic range, which is fine for the live audience in the room at the time, but if you are listening to a CD in your car or and mp3 player while walking or jogging, it is a good thing if the dynamic range is made much narrower.

I work at a reading service for the blind. If I take the full, uncompressed wav files of the newspaper readings and move them to the server where they call in and listen over the phone, it sounds really bad. Splattering S's and the like. If I crunch the bitrate from 44100Hz to 8000Hz , they sound much better. That surprised me. In broadcast, I would have never used a bitrate that low.

earshot said:
I work at a reading service for the blind. If I take the full, uncompressed wav files of the newspaper readings and move them to the server where they call in and listen over the phone, it sounds really bad. Splattering S's and the like. If I crunch the bitrate from 44100Hz to 8000Hz , they sound much better. That surprised me. In broadcast, I would have never used a bitrate that low.

I have experimented with feeding audio into a phone line, trying to figure out how I could achieve some kind of telephone answering device that give good and reasonable voice quality. Some people have it figured out. Some of robo-callers that politicians use have it figure out. In my ear the politician who has interrupted my day to ask for my vote sounds like he/she is standing in the room with me. Then there are the calls where they HAVEN'T figured it out and it sounds like the person asking me to vote their way is down in the basement... talking to me through a HVAC duct.

You have to experiment to get the contraption you have to work with to work at it's best. With some of them, getting the EQ of the recorded material makes the difference. And in other cases it may be they have chosen hardware and codecs that cannot deal with higher bit-rates.

The beauty of the Marian Trace Alpha is when it is paired with Breakaway Broadcast Processor. It's a DC coupled card with no overshoot when used as a composite output. For streaming with Breakaway Live!, this feature is un-necessary and any number of other cards (such as the M-Audio Delta) will perform equally well.

BobOnTheJob said:
The beauty of the Marian Trace Alpha is when it is paired with Breakaway Broadcast Processor. It's a DC coupled card with no overshoot when used as a composite output. For streaming with Breakaway Live!, this feature is un-necessary and any number of other cards (such as the M-Audio Delta) will perform equally well.

Excellent! Thanks to y'all for the tips.

It's my understanding that the Marian sound cards are a broadcast card for the European broadcasters.

Actually, you have already experienced the Marian brand but were just unaware. It's my understanding that the Marian hardware is used in the Orban and Omnia processors. If true, that's definitely an endorsement of the brand.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
At this point I would debate that the quality of a sound card has nothing to contribute and detract from your streaming process. In fact, though I have not operated a streaming source, I think you could set up a computer to do your streaming that did not have a sound card installed.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. No sound card is necessary.

FYI--The talk about the Marian on the Breakaway forum is directed toward terrestrial broadcasters who do need a physical card for audio input and outputs.

Since the time I started this thread, I've gotten my feet wet and understand the process better. Thank y'all for "learnin'" me. I'm running two instances of Station Playlist, which come with oddcast. So I'm streaming directly out with no regard to the sound card. I installed Breakaway Live to add a touch of processing that was within my budget.

Back to the subject of sound cards, I work at a radio reading service for the blind. Our production PCs use Juli@, while the recording booths are using M-Audio's Delta 1010LT. I believe those had been mentioned earlier. I'm especially fond of the M-Audio. If I recall correctly, the last cluster I worked at used Lynx cards.

A sound card horror story for you engineers and tech people:

10 years ago, right after the stand-alone FM I worked at was purchased, the sound card in the air studio crapped out (we were running an early version of Enco's DOS system). I was thankful that with the new owner, came an engineer who knew his stuff. He pulled the card out of production to get us by until our move and switchover to the SS32. Every time we cut a spot, the engineer had to put the card back into the prod room PC while someone ran CDs on the air!

earshot-

That was a funny story!

IIRC, the M-Audio Delta 1010 (not LT) was once used on-air for both iMediatouch and Nexgen. Both have since moved to other cards for on-air, although iMediatouch still uses the Delta 44 for it's logger machine and some production machines. I 'think' WireReady might use the Delta 44 for on-air.

I've used many Delta 44's and have never had an issue, provided the correct driver is used.

Best Regards..

Thread bump! ;D

Has anyone had similar issues getting Breakaway ASIO and the Trace Alpha to play nice together? I'm experiencing a mixer issue. Windows seems to have control of the card...and no matter what I do to the Trace Alpha's mixer inputs...Breakaway seems to be getting audio from elsewhere.

ChiefOperator said:
earshot-

That was a funny story!

IIRC, the M-Audio Delta 1010 (not LT) was once used on-air for both iMediatouch and Nexgen. Both have since moved to other cards for on-air, although iMediatouch still uses the Delta 44 for it's logger machine and some production machines. I 'think' WireReady might use the Delta 44 for on-air.

I've used many Delta 44's and have never had an issue, provided the correct driver is used.

Best Regards..

Agreed. I use Delta 44's on all of my streaming encoders. They are trouble free (for me).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom