• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Making $ on a NonCom

• Thread starter idontlookhowisound
  • Start date
I

idontlookhowisound

Ok I have a situation here where I host/produce my own show that only airs on a college station. I'm offering the show not as an employee of the station but as an outside entity. Am I allowed to sell underwriting for the show that goes in my pocket? I've been doing it for free but I'd like to at least make some $ for promotional gear, pay for website, etc. Just wondering if that's an FCC no-no or what I would have to do contractually with the college station to make it happen. Anyone with knowledge of this is appreciated!

You MUST inform the college. You're using their station to attract this money. They should get a cut. Exactly how much is between you and them, but they typically get the majority of the money. If you do the selling, you should be able to arrange a sales commission plus a fee, adding up to maybe 25%. The funder pays the station, and they pay you. And yes there are some very clear FCC rules about what you can say, and how often you can say it. If you go outside the lines, there are stiff fines, and lately, they've been going after people. They ignore pirates, but if you give a sell line in a funding announcement, you'll get hit.

You can offer the show on a barter basis and sell the ads if the station agrees (at the noncomm I volunteer for, we carry a syndicated oldies show that has an edition just for non-comms which replaces the spots with underwriting announcements.).

Thanks for the responses guys. I would definitely be very clear with the station on what's happening. The GM is an old instructor/boss of mine and we have both pondered these options before. I've been very involved in starting that station on the path to underwriting a few years back - so I'm very familiar with the can and can't says of noncom radio. I have done the show for two years for no pay and have served the station in a volunteer role for longer than that. This would be a great way to at least try to reimburse me some. Thanks for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom